Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold Maple Leaf Question

I have a question for you guys. I purchased a 1/10th ounce gold maple leaf. The coin comes in the mint plastic and my question is will it hurt the value if I free it from the plastic?

I have 3 1/10th gold eagles and I like holding them and I would want to hold the Canadian

WWYD?

Comments

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Buy one that's not in plastic...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as it is not a key date (if any qualify,) the loss in value will be minimal.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bcookie said:
    I have a question for you guys. I purchased a 1/10th ounce gold maple leaf. The coin comes in the mint plastic and my question is will it hurt the value if I free it from the plastic?

I have 3 1/10th gold eagles and I like holding them and I would want to hold the Canadian

WWYD?

I would leave it in the plastic since it will be easier to sell some day in the original plastic. I have never had a need to fondle my coins or bullion.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Bcookie said:

WWYD?

I would leave it in the plastic since it will be easier to sell some day in the original plastic. I have never had a need to fondle my coins or bullion.

Not even at 4 AM??

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@PerryHall said:

@Bcookie said:

WWYD?

Not even at 4 AM??

Especially at 4 AM. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

I tend to shy away from .9999 gold coins for this reason. I too like to handle the gold sans plastic barrier, but I realize not all gold is created equal. If removed from its plastic tomb, your Maple will surely accumulate fine lines due to the nature of .9999 gold. It will decrease its value, depending on what venue you sell it in. Probably wont matter much if sold as bullion to your local coin shop, but expect a significant hit in value if sold elsewhere. Think about it like this...if mint condition 1/10ths are available for $150, what incentive do I have to pay $150 for a scruffed up one? Stick to .9167 and you can fondle your bullion all you want!

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

What you need is a 100 oz. bar.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holding such small gold coins is not very impressive... and also subjects them to potential scratches and skin oils.... Get some large circulated coins or bars... far more satisfying 'in hand'...and not likely to have an effect on value. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BcookieBcookie Posts: 57 ✭✭

@ricko said:
    Holding such small gold coins is not very impressive... and also subjects them to potential scratches and skin oils.... Get some large circulated coins or bars... far more satisfying 'in hand'...and not likely to have an effect on value. Cheers, RickO

For such a positive comment, I think you should donate 1 of you impressive bars so the little people like me can see what a really piece of gold reels like

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

the scratches and hairlines will hurt the value. that's what the plastic tomb is for.

I suggest what has already been suggested - buy an impaired one that is already outside the plastic.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bcookie...Nice try, however, I am very attached to my gold... of all sizes... ;) ... And yes, I have been known to 'fondle' one or two.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

I am now leaning to keep it sealed, but because of this I will keep with gold eagles in the future.

I bought an empty 1/10th mint tube and hope to fill it before the end of next year

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

even AGE will scratch and ding if they are mistreated.

I've seen an MS60 one.

also, AGE are 22k and are more likely to develop "discoloration" due to handling than 24k.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

:s what to do.. what to do??

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2017 6:45AM

Think about it like this...if mint condition 1/10ths are available for $150, what incentive do I have to pay $150 for a scruffed up one?

This.

On the other hand, I don't fondle my raw gold coins often but when I do, I'm careful.

PerryHall, you don't know what you're missin' :)

Two other comments come to mind. It's true that .999 stuff is really soft, so you almost have to handle it as if it were pure gold.

Yeah, I suppose you could start out with an impaired coin, but why? Why? Why? Why? ;)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    Think about it like this...if mint condition 1/10ths are available for $150, what incentive do I have to pay $150 for a scruffed up one?

This.

On the other hand, I don't fondle my raw gold coins often but when I do, I'm careful.

PerryHall, you don't know what you're missin' :)

Two other comments come to mind. It's true that .999 stuff is really soft, so you almost have to handle it as if it were pure gold.

Yeah, I suppose you could start out with an impaired coin, but why? Why? Why? Why? ;)

As long as it get it for impaired/fondled price, it's ok.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2017 8:01AM

@Bcookie said:

If it's really money, than holding it doesn't matter, impaired 100 bills are still 100 bucks...
    Since it's not money and trades more on a collectible scheme, maybe don't buy any...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bcookie said:

Buy 2, one to fondle and one to cherish!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bcookie said:

100 oz bar (poured) >:)

• Options

@Bcookie said:

The best advice I can offer you....for your particular situation.....is to pursue pre '33 U.S. gold for as close to melt as possible. You will have to settle for mostly cleaned, dinged, rim bump, vg/vf examples at close to melt pricing, but then you not only don't have to worry about damaging your gold coins via handling, but actually handling them enough could make them appear even more attractive over time! And if given the choice between a handful of gold Maple leafs all in mint plastic OR a handful of old U.S. gold coins with character, there is no contest which rates higher up on the "cool" scale!

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Keep it wrapped...get some old gold as recomended above.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

i guess this is the real question: will removing the coin from the mint plastic decrease the value?

I know it risks getting scratched etc, but does the plastic bring any added value?

• Options

@Bcookie said:
    i guess this is the real question: will removing the coin from the mint plastic decrease the value?

I know it risks getting scratched etc, but does the plastic bring any added value?

Yes.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fondle a 50 peso gold coin just once and you will be cured of the tenth oz. addiction

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt