Home Precious Metals

Found a funny thread today over on the Aussie Silver stacker Forum

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

In which someone went back to the period before silver took a big dump and he harvested some stacker comments

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-83389-some-interesting-comments-i-am-finding-dredging-through-old-threads-page-1.html

For example

05/04/2011

"340 halves and 1049 dimes for $7750. keep searching people! deals are still out there.
regards, michael

p.s. thats 27.5XFV"

Comments

• aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

The words....."unreal" or "surreal" come to mind!!!

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah the passion - or should I say frenzy - of the market rush...... Why do people always miss the axiom 'Buy low, sell high' and do just the opposite? Cheers, RickO

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

History. :smile:
    Perhaps it will repeat itself :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

it better
    I need that apocalypse, not only for my PMs, but I've already completed my anti-zombie training and am losing my skills

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we'll see those prices and runs on the market again at some point.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do remember when a nickel would buy a Hershey's bar. Then the Hershey's bars started to shrink, until they raised the price to a dime.

It's been downhill ever since.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when you could buy the average house with 100 oz of gold. Been downhill ever since...takes 184 oz now.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Ahh the good ol days...

keceph `anah
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice try cohodk. The price of an average house, square footage and the built-in amenities have changed a little bit as well.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    edited April 19, 2017 2:13PM

@jmski52 said:
    Nice try cohodk. The price of an average house, square footage and the built-in amenities have changed a little bit as well.

In the last 5 years homes have hanged that much?

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real Estate varies widely depending on your market. I'm sure cohodk is correct if you look at the median home price nationwide. If your market is San Fran, that wouldn't even get you a cardboard box on the street corner

edited April 20, 2017 4:09AM

@Barndog said:
    Real Estate varies widely depending on your market. I'm sure cohodk is correct if you look at the median home price nationwide. If your market is San Fran, that wouldn't even get you a cardboard box on the street corner

Yes, national average. In some markets (where people don't want to live), gold has only list a little purchasing power. In other markets, such as the Northwest, CA, NC, FL, CO, gold has lost much more "lustre". ;)

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is a lot of monetized corruption in the price of real estate that skews the historical value ,as well as truckloads of taxes . 100 years ago every material item in a house didn't have a tax over its intrinsic value rolled in. Some tax jurisdictions have labor providers being hit with state and local income tax buyer pays for that .

Permit fees are another line item which didn't exist 100 years ago . If you live near the coast expect to pay for all sorts of upgrades designed to protect a home from hurricanes , I'm assuming the same is true in tornado prone areas . Earthquake zones , flood zones . In the old days they let people build anywhere and when a storm smashed their house they came to the taxpayers looking for relief. Then the idiots promptly rebuilt in the same spot. I've seen houses in my area where permits are adding 5 or even 10 thousand to the bottom line. Every spurious and not so spurious building regulation is paid for out of the buyers wallet also. Insulation requirements , so many square feet of window per room mandated , tempered glass to protect idiots , lead paint and asbestos abatement etc. etc. , Arc fault breakers in bedrooms , those are $60 instead of 3$ all this garbage adds up fast.

Every town also has entrenched power blocs that uses homeowners as their piggy bank. For instance , open space initiatives , low cost housing requirements historical societies etc. Many of these things are clubs being wielded to limit new development. Not all of it is unwarranted , towns and cities are wary of building new schools with multi million dollar price tags , especially if older people with no children are present and don't want to pay for babysitting someone elses kids. :D

Real estate brokers expect to be paid handsomely for doing a job a monkey could do, if you are paying 6% to some blonde bimbo with a room temperature IQ to sell you a house thats padded into the bottom line too. Developers and builders aren't going to eat that cost.

In 1917 people were not paying for any of these things .