Home Metal Detecting
Options

NEED ADVICE FOR MY NEW GARRETT AT PRO

I recently purchased a new AT PRO. I've read the instruction manual and watched 7 AT Pro Instructional Videos on YouTube. I guess I'd have to say I'm a novice. I use to metal detect years ago and am just getting back into the hobby.

When using my AT PRO, I have it set on STD / ZERO and have the IRON DISC set at 35. I also perform a manual ground balance when I get started. My problem is that while operating the detector I almost constantly get intermittent hits (anywhere from 45 - 90) when nothing is actually there. Once I get the hit, I run the detector over that same area and get no feedback. While watching the instructional videos, the detector doesn't act as sporadically as what I am experiencing. So, what am I doing wrong? Or, any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks.... Patrick

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't help with that but I'm sure someone here will and I will listen for future reference. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

Do you wear steel toed boots?

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Garrett has an 800 number, give them a call.

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CoinGuy42CoinGuy42 Posts: 307 ✭✭✭

basetsb, I was not wearing steel toed boots. AUandAG - Thanks, will give toll free number a call.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds (and I am not a Garrett user) as if the sensitivity is too high.... you may be hitting some semi conductive material while moving the coil quickly.... I have seen that happen....then when you slow down, it is not there...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I have an AT-PRO and agree with @ricko that the sensitivity may be too high. Not sure where you are located, but soil composition and even the overall temperature could also give those false signals (higher temps results in more falsing).