Home Metal Detecting
Options

coinstar finds - chapter III

KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sixteen cents... nice... No Wheaties though...Well, I would not complain... My coinstar has been barren for a while.... may check the Mall machine today.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like you've got at least two copper pennies...not a terrible thing

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

my coin star has been empty for quite a while. one of these days

• Options

No luck in the mall yesterday.... nothing in the parking lots....should have checked the loading dock area...forgot that one....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever check the 'snow melt' areas at the mall parking lots where they pile all of the snow in the winter, and then it melts? :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

CoinStar was empty on the way into the store. Did a double take on the way out. Bingo! 4 dimes (2 US 2 Canadain) 3 cents (2 US 1 Canadian)

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    Anyone ever check the 'snow melt' areas at the mall parking lots where they pile all of the snow in the winter, and then it melts? :smile:

Every year.
    Plus the snow pile melt around the local pond for the annual hockey puck harvest.

• Options

Have you found anything, I have not :smile:
    @Dockwalliper

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

I have checked the snow pile area each year... have not found anything... more luck around parking meters though....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jackpot at local Wal-Mart Coinstar this afternoon. First hit in a long time, also found a Lincoln cent in the parking lot on the way in.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Yesterday I finally hit a good coinstar... at the market, I noticed activity at the machine...so, after checking out, I walked past it and 'voila'... One quarter, two dimes and a zincoln....47 cents.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    slendaslenda Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited April 30, 2017 7:48PM

@ricko said:
    No luck in the mall yesterday.... nothing in the parking lots....should have checked the loading dock area...forgot that one....Cheers, RickO

Malls aren't usually that good imo, except for the water fountains . but mall security might get mad if they see. Drive thru windows are reliable, as long as no one sees.

• Options

2 dimes 6 pennys. Nothing interesting.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

2004 canadian nickel last monday

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

I picked up a 49-d silver rosie a couple weeks ago in local grocery store machine, second silver dime of the year- got a merc earlier in the year.

• Options

Yesterday....... wait for it........ Two modern zincolns..... Wippy dippy dooo.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited August 26, 2017 1:47PM

end of drought :

• Options

Not bad... and a unique penny souvenir.. Cheers, RickO

• Options

It is always interesting to think.......................who made that elongated cent and......................who tried to run it through a coin counting machine :smile:
    I would assume that it was two different people :smile:

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    It is always interesting to think.......................who made that elongated cent and......................who tried to run it through a coin counting machine :smile:
    I would assume that it was two different people :smile:

The elongated penny is a souvenir bought from & made by Aquarium of the Pacific. It is near the Queen Mary & the LB Covention Center (LB Coin Show) in Long Beach.

• Options

A couple of years ago, I found an elongated cent in a parking lot (Sam's I think).... It was pretty chewed up, probably still have it in a junk jar somewhere... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Canadian dime and a German 5 pfennig.

• Options

Nothing today... again... for the last couple of weeks....I think the cashiers are getting the rejects... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited September 16, 2017 3:37PM

Jackpot finds today including 1 90% roosie. Can anyone tell me what the strange looking qtr-size coins shown on top are?

source - coinstar at Ralphs
    recap:
    qtrs: 10
    dimes: 16 + 1 90%
    nickels: 3
    pennies: 12
    unknown: 3

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would consider that a jackpot too. : B)

• Options

Those three at the top look like game tokens.... they sell them at video game emporiums and use them for plays.... Nice haul...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Last night 2 quarters 4 dimes US and a Canadian quarter and dime.
    Today another US dime and a Malibu Grand Prix token.
    All modern.

• Options

Still zero... I make it to the market almost every day... the mall once a week... and nothing now...for two weeks or more.... nothing in parking lots either... :'( Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited September 23, 2017 2:48PM

banged up penny found at coinstar,
    the rest from change tray from self check out register.

• Options

Now that is strange.... I never thought of this... you mentioned the change tray at check out counters. Now that I think of it.... they do not have them anymore at my supermarket... I wonder when - and why - they eliminated them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited September 24, 2017 11:41AM

some markets in socal have eliminated self check outs due to rise in theft rate.

• Options

@KollectorKing.... Really?? I did not know that.... thought they had the weight/count thing to prevent it. Guess I was wrong.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @KollectorKing.... Really?? I did not know that.... thought they had the weight/count thing to prevent it. Guess I was wrong.... Cheers, RickO

it's not the weigh/count thing. It's people shop lifting goodies using the self check out register
    to flee the market.

• Options

Oh wow.... did not realize that... there is a clerk in constant attendance at our self check lines....not sure if that can prevent it... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited October 5, 2017 1:31PM

another jackpot, with a possible "01p" roosie + a 90% dime to boot:

recap:
    us quarters 5
    cn quarter 1
    dimes 8
    90% dime 1
    1 nickel
    4 pennies
    1 10p eire aka republic of ireland

• Options

Nice haul.... been quite a while since I saw a pile like that.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2017 4:17PM

First find in a month or so for the five-year old, who runs and checks the Coinstar machine while I'm self-checking the groceries. When we find a small number of foreign coins, but no US at all, I think that someone deliberately left them for others to find.

• Options

Yesterday, on my way out of the supermarket, I was walking to pass the coinstar, with the purpose of checking the reject bin. The older fellow in front of me, looked, bent down, and scooped a batch of coins..then double checked to be sure there were not more...... GRRRRRRR.... :D:D Right before my eyes.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Yesterday, on my way out of the supermarket, I was walking to pass the coinstar, with the purpose of checking the reject bin. The older fellow in front of me, looked, bent down, and scooped a batch of coins..then double checked to be sure there were not more...... GRRRRRRR.... :D:D Right before my eyes.... Cheers, RickO

Ouch & double ouch!!

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

pulled a dollar bill from the return at the coinstar today.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options

Really??? Now that is the first I have heard of that happening..... :o Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

Is that even possible? Maybe the clerks were bored and put it there

• Options

today's find:

• Options
    edited October 11, 2017 8:46AM

Very nice... even a restroom token.... I wonder why the new nickels are being rejected.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

My haul from grocery store coinstar today, even one from Cuba! $1.61 USA including a red-brown 1958 wheat, a Canadian dime (nickel not silver)along with 2 pennies, a british 3 pence and the 1989 Cuban coin

• Options

@kevinstang said:
    My haul from grocery store coinstar today, even one from Cuba! $1.61 USA including a red-brown 1958 wheat, a Canadian dime (nickel not silver)along with 2 pennies, a british 3 pence and the 1989 Cuban coin

Congrats!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zippcity said:
    pulled a dollar bill from the return at the coinstar today.

someone found 4 quarters and felt guilty

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@kevinstang.. Nice haul... haven't seen a British 3 pence in a while... I think I have a couple somewhere from my time in England and Scotland...Must be in my foreign coin bag. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Silver!!