Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone submit coins from the UK?

Hello all,

I have several coins I would like to submit for grading, but wanted advice about whether to send them to the US or Paris office. Does anyone who lives in the UK have any experience with either, especially with regards to shipping methods? Paris looks like it may be more expensive, but also is closer. Finally, would a show drop off be better, for one of the shows PCGS does in the UK? Looking to get about 4 or 5 US coins and about the same number of world coins certified.

-Bjorn

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2017 7:34AM

I live in Manchester and have used both services. There are a few factors that influence where I send coins...

1) Cost: Higher in Paris vs. Newport Breach but also comes with less fees. There are no handling fees, submission fixed costs etc. Also critically there is no guarantee premium in case you are cross over coins from other services.

2) Time: If you hit the PCGS Paris Grading week you can have coins back in under a week regardless of tier. This is a big plus. World coin times at PCGS take ages and at economy tiers you could be waiting 3+ months. I'm an inpatient person so I'd prefer to pay a bit more for months less wait.

3) Convenience: At Paris you can submit both US and World coins together in one submission where in Newport Beach you will need at least two submission which will come with separate fees and shipping on both.

I would think your best bet would be hitting a UK show where PCGS is present or targeting shipping to a grading week. Next Paris visit to a UK show is June 3rd in London and grading week is June 21st. If you can make the London coin show to drop off for the grading week it would be an ideal opportunity.

If you are in the UK we may cross paths. Drop me a PM if you are hitting any of the upcoming shows.

Hope that helps
    Brian

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

As usual, great advice. Just chiming in to say that it's nice to log in after such a long hiatus and still see familiar 'faces.' Hope you are well, Brian and Bjorn!

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the advice - I'll likely go with one of those two options. I do attend the Wakefield show fairly often, and plan on hitting the Birmingham and London ones soon (particularly the June one in London). I'll definitely drop you a line next time I go to one.

-Bjorn

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bjorn Cool, I think the next show is Wakefield end of April. I should be attending that show. Hopefully see you there.

Where in the UK do you live?