Home Sports Talk

Tony Romo the most underrated and unappreciated quarterback ever

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 11, 2017 9:59PM in Sports Talk

And I mean ever.

Says so here.

What the writer nailed was that Romo played on extremely flawed Cowboys teams in the reason they won as many games as they did during his era was of because of Tony Romo. Dang that was a long sentence.

It goes on to poke fun at the Cowboy fans and Cowboy haters alike.

mark

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000797864/article/tony-romo-the-most-underrated-and-underappreciated-qb-ever

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark, you understand that posting this is like throwing chum into shark infested waters, right? LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed. like a rotting carcass.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited April 11, 2017 10:10PM

What's this list? All pretty good QB's right?

1 Aaron Rodgers
    2 Russell Wilson
    3 Tom Brady
    4 Tony Romo
    5 Steve Young
    6 Peyton Manning
    7 Drew Brees
    8 Philip Rivers
    9 Ben Roethlisberger
    10 Kurt Warner

mark

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most underappreciated QB was Archie Manning.

@Coinstartled said:
    Most underappreciated QB was Archie Manning.

If it's underrated, Ken Anderson fits the bill.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh dear, this could get ugly....

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought Warren moon was underappreciated. Threw the prettiest spiral I've ever seen.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@craig44 said:
    I always thought Warren moon was underappreciated. Threw the prettiest spiral I've ever seen.

....and deep!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark I'm not sure if that list is YOUR list in order of greatness so I will wait till you confirm or deny before I comment on THAT list lol, as far as under appreciated I would say Warren Moon for sure.

@perkdog said:
    Mark I'm not sure if that list is YOUR list in order of greatness so I will wait till you confirm or deny before I comment on THAT list lol, as far as under appreciated I would say Warren Moon for sure.

NFL Passer Rating Career Leaders

mark

Ok I'm not agreeing with that stat as a benchmark for all time greats. Not saying you are just throwing my 2 cents out there

@perkdog said:
    Ok I'm not agreeing with that stat as a benchmark for all time greats. Not saying you are just throwing my 2 cents out there

Agree. Its just one statistical measuring stick. However, one would have to agree you have to be pretty damn good to make that list.

mark

edited April 12, 2017 10:49AM

No doubt but the fact that it doesn't have Marino, Elway,Moon and Montana on it means my appreciation is very limited lol plus I just can't stand Aaron Rodgers for some reason, I think because his name is always mentioned with Brady in today's NFL

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    What's this list? All pretty good QB's right?

1 Aaron Rodgers
    2 Russell Wilson
    3 Tom Brady
    4 Tony Romo
    5 Steve Young
    6 Peyton Manning
    7 Drew Brees
    8 Philip Rivers
    9 Ben Roethlisberger
    10 Kurt Warner

mark

What this list demonstrates is that the game has changed a lot over the years; not sure if it demonstrates much more than that, though. A GOAT list - in any sport, in any aspect of any sport - that doesn't include a single player who wasn't active in 1999 or later is trivial.

What's this list?

Ed Brown
    Sid Luckman
    Otto Graham
    Cotton Davidson
    Norm Van Brocklin
    Earl Morrall
    Eddie LeBaron
    Daryle Lamonica
    Jack Kemp
    Bobby Layne

That's the yards per completion leaders. You have to go down to #72 to find anyone in the Top 10 QB rating list. For the most part, you'll find the greatest QBs of all time on neither list.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

True. QBR is just one measuring stick. But If you are in the top ten all time you do not suck

I'm Romo's case he is also Dallas's all time yards leaders and Threw the most TD passes

mark

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2017 4:13PM

OMG! I tried to stay away, but just have to add a couple of notes:

First - I find it amusing that 3 Great QB's who have 11 SB wins between them aren't even on the list.

Second - Maybe the reason Tony had so many 4th quarter comebacks.....is because he got them behind with his inept play way more often than say Aikman. Actually I never remember seeing Aikman lose any games.

Finally - I'm sooooooo happy he is gone that I don't even know how to put it into words. It's just a dream come true!

No one is arguing that Romo was better then Aikman. The point is that Romo was an excellent QB on a flawed team. The reason Romo's QBR rating is 4th all time is because he threw a lot of TD passes and few interceptions and had a high completion rating.

Aikman was a number 1 overall pick. He played on some great teams. Romo was undrafted played mostly on sub .500 teams that over achieved with him as QB. As a Dallas fan you were lucky to have him as a QB.

mark

edited April 12, 2017 8:30PM

""" As a Dallas fan you were lucky to have him as a QB."""

Dallas has had a long history of solid performance in the QB position. My first and only game attending the Cotton Bowl in December 1969 featured Craig Morton leading the team with a slightly older Roger Staubach warming the bench. Cowboys beat the Redskins that afternoon.

Sadly when the vacation was over....we returned to Detroit and suffered with the lions for 25 years.

Detroit would have done well with a Romo. To Dallas it was a let down.

@Justacommeman said:
    No one is arguing that Romo was better then Aikman. The point is that Romo was an excellent QB on a flawed team. The reason Romo's QBR rating is 4th all time is because he threw a lot of TD passes and few interceptions and had a high completion rating.

Aikman was a number 1 overall pick. He played on some great teams. Romo was undrafted played mostly on sub .500 teams that over achieved with him as QB. As a Dallas fan you were lucky to have him as a QB.

mark

These were the Romo years:

2015 4-12-0 4th -- NFC East -- Jason Garrett Roster / Stats
    2014 12-4-0 1st -- NFC East 1-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs Jason Garrett Roster / Stats
    2013 8-8-0 2nd -- NFC East -- Jason Garrett Roster / Stats
    2012 8-8-0 3rd -- NFC East -- Jason Garrett Roster / Stats
    2011 8-8-0 T2nd -- NFC East -- Jason Garrett Roster / Stats
    2010 6-10-0 T3rd -- NFC East -- Wade Phillips,
    Jason Garrett Roster / Stats
    2009 11-5-0 1st -- NFC East 1-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs Wade Phillips Roster / Stats
    2008 9-7-0 3rd -- NFC East -- Wade Phillips Roster / Stats
    2007 13-3-0 1st -- NFC East 0-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs Wade Phillips Roster / Stats
    2006 9-7-0 2nd -- NFC East 0-1 - Lost Wild Card Playoffs Bill Parcells Roster / Stats

There were only 2 "sub .500" years. He was a choker in pressure games.

Yah like I said there were a lot of years where Dallas was 8-8 only because of Romo. Without him they would have been 4-12

Happy Easter Jon!

M

@Justacommeman said:
    Yah like I said there were a lot of years where Dallas was 8-8 only because of Romo. Without him they would have been 4-12

Happy Easter Jon!

M

We look at it different Mark. I see us having decent records in spite of him. :)

We sure do

M

Suppose that Dimeman switched gears and claimed Romo to be the GOAT and opined that Emmitt sucked. He would get slammed.

Tough crowd to please.

It's hard to pick a GOAT of any position of any sport that everyone would agree on. But I would put Aikman in the top tier of QB's.

edited April 16, 2017 7:05PM

How many in the tier??

edited April 16, 2017 7:09PM

@Coinstartled said:
    How many in the tier??

10 and he is not 10th.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    How many in the tier??

197 in the tier

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

No mention of Tarkenton. Fran is the most underrated of all time here. Played for miserable teams for much of his career and still retired with the top numbers. Look up some video and prepare to see a man who was usually running for his life and yet made a lot of plays NONE of these guys could have.
    Kenny Anderson was amazing and also NEVER gets much love.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Be serious.....Tarkenton and Anderson aren't in the same tier as the QB's we have been talking about.

edited April 17, 2017 4:24PM

If you can't figure out that Tarkenton was one of the very best of all time, you know absolutely nothing about the quarterback position. He retired with all the top numbers for passing and played on mostly second division teams with no top tier receivers. While he never won the "Big One" he did lead the Vikings to three Super Bowls. These were teams with very good defenses and very average running backs and receivers.
    If he would have played for the Cowboys he would be the GOAT.........at least in your mind.
    If you ever saw Kenny Anderson play you would understand how good he was as well. Might not be in the top tier, but he was incredible.
    As I said once before, you MUST be posting your incredibly bone headed comments just to get people going. No one could actually be so delusional so consistently.
    P.S. READ the title of the thread.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:
    If you can't figure out that Tarkenton was one of the very best of all time, you know absolutely nothing about the quarterback position. He retired with all the top numbers for passing and played on mostly second division teams with no top tier receivers. While he never won the "Big One" he did lead the Vikings to three Super Bowls. These were teams with very good defenses and very average running backs and receivers.
    If he would have played for the Cowboys he would be the GOAT.........at least in your mind.
    If you ever saw Kenny Anderson play you would understand how good he was as well. Might not be in the top tier, but he was incredible.
    As I said once before, you MUST be posting your incredibly bone headed comments just to get people going. No one could actually be so delusional so consistently.

Sorry Joe......you are the one who is delusional if you really think Tarkenton belongs in the top tier of QB's.. I don't know how many times I've heard it said that he got most of his passing yards throwing a 2 yard out to somebody who then ran for 40-80 yards. He couldn't throw a medium ball much less a deep ball. Come on man.

Let the record show that many lists have Fran Tarkenton in the top 15 QB's of all-time. This is just one of many. It actually has Tark at #16 and Aikman and #14. That's where most of the lists have Troy as well.

mark

http://m.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-best-quarterbacks-of-all-time

@Justacommeman said:
    Let the record show that many lists have Fran Tarkenton in the top 15 QB's of all-time. This is just one of many. It actually has Tark at #16 and Aikman and #14. That's where most of the lists have Troy as well.

mark

http://m.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-best-quarterbacks-of-all-time

Come on Mark....do you really think Fran is in the same tier as Troy? I mentioned before how Fran got most of his passing yardage. If Troy would have been on a team like S,F. with the West Coast Offense he would have had much higher numbers. But he played on a ground control game team with the best running back in football. Be honest .... if you were building a team who would you rather have between the two as your QB? ;)

Troy only gets on a list because of super bowls . Without those he is #197

• FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

Aikman is one of the five most overrated players in the HOF hands down. He threw for 20 or more TD's ONCE. Once, with a HOF WR, an All Pro TE in Novacek, and mega deep threat Alvin Harper for a handful of year. With the best rushing offense and best O Line to possibly every play and you can only muster four years in the top 5 of QB Rating. Or how about no first team All conference EVER in his career. And he is in your top 10. Get the rose colored glasses off. Lynn Dickey would have had better numbers behind that same line. And Dickey threw a better ball.

@FavreFan1971 said:
    Aikman is one of the five most overrated players in the HOF hands down. He threw for 20 or more TD's ONCE. Once, with a HOF WR, an All Pro TE in Novacek, and mega deep threat Alvin Harper for a handful of year. With the best rushing offense and best O Line to possibly every play and you can only muster four years in the top 5 of QB Rating. Or how about no first team All conference EVER in his career. And he is in your top 10. Get the rose colored glasses off. Lynn Dickey would have had better numbers behind that same line. And Dickey threw a better ball.

I just love STUPID statements like this. As I mentioned before the Cowboys were not a West Coast Offense where passing was first and run second. Aikman was a great QB and would have had much higher numbers if he had played on a team like the 49ers. He has been described as one of the most accurate passers in the NFL.

Haters will be haters!

@DIMEMAN said:

@FavreFan1971 said:

I just love STUPID statements like this. As I mentioned before the Cowboys were not a West Coast Offense where passing was first and run second. Aikman was a great QB and would have had much higher numbers if he had played on a team like the 49ers. He has been described as one of the most accurate passers in the NFL.

Haters will be haters!

You are funny Dimedude. The reason they were run first is when they gave the chance to be a passing offense he blew his opportunity. Even it you throw away his first two seasons which were rather rough when given the opportunity to pass first he failed more than he succeeded.

1991 they were a 50/50 team with 491 pass attempts to 500 rushing attemps. Aikman's TD to INT ratio is skewed by 5 TD's in the first two games. The remainder of the season he did not throw more than one TD in a single game. But he did have four games with multiple INT's. His final 10 games this year he had 6/10 TD to IN Ratio.

He came in relief in the playoff route against the Lions and couldn't even score a point in garbage time. The coaches saw it during that game. We have to be a run first offense. Aikman can't handle the pressure.

His stats prove this. His 7.0 yds per attempt is the worst in the HOF except for Blanda. You mentioned that he was an accurate passer. Well, you sure should be if you are throwing the ball less than 5 yds past the line of scrimmage and begging for your guys to break a tackle.

After the Super Bowl win in 1996 they gave Aikman the opportunity to be the pass first man he so wanted to be. He attempted his most passes of his career at 518. That ranked 5th in the NFL that year (Pass first). At 31 he is in his prime years as a QB. Emmitt was only 28 this same season. Well, 6-10 no playoffs. Finished the year on a 5 game losing streak. Aikman had his worst completion percentage of his career besides his rookie season. Oh but wait, he had his second highest TD output of his career. Yup, 19 TD's. Nice work Troy in the prime of your career.

So, to summarize the Cowboys were a run first offense because Aikman could handle the pressure. He threw short-short passes to skew his "accuracy" to allow Dimeman to think he was an accurate QB.

You keep saying "If Troy was with SF his numbers would be......" If Troy was in SF he would have been knocked out of the league in his 4th season. The guy was immobile. That offense required a mobile QB.

Man are you off base. Troy was NOT a short passer. And I am going by what others (who know something) have written. I watched all his games that were televised, which was most back then. He threw the long ball as often as others. Your accessment of Aikman is really skewed...you must really hate him. I will take him any day along with his 3 SB wins in a 4 year stretch. This is my last reply to you. You are not worth the bother!

Look at FavreFan with the sweet analysis. Nice!

I tend to agree.

mark

• PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

Interesting stuff Favrefan. Regarding run/pass mix, I wonder what those 70s Vikings and 70s Bengals team look like?

I'm glad someone brought up Ken Anderson. He doesn't get nearly the love he deserves.

Favrefan schools Dimenan, lol..

@grote15 said:
    Favrefan schools Dimenan, lol..

Right...Maybe Farvefan should go back see how many times the Aikman lead Cowboys knocked the Packers out of the playoffs during the 90's. The Cowboys "OWNED" the Packers during that stretch. Look it up Farvie!

Not a short passer? Are you kidding Dimeman. I knew you had your rose colored glasses on. Go back and watch those games on your BetaMAx. That was his M.O. Play action to Emmitt. quarter turn and dump to Novacek or crossing pattern to Irvin. If those were covered he would step and half back and try and find Harper (or the other speedsters who took his place) IF you think I don't know the Cowboys you are wrong sir. I don't hate Aikman. I just hate to see those who think he is a top 10 QB of all time. Below is a list of QB's I would take over Aikman in a heartbeat behind that same O-Line he had in the 90's. And this list is only the QB's that played the same time as Aikman. These are in no particular order I just went by all time yards passed and stopped at 25,000 yds.

Favre - Can't imagine the numbers
    Marino - Novacek's numbers would be HOF with Marino
    Elway - I think Jerry would have traded him if he went to so many SB's and not won with Dallas
    Moon - Hmmm,
    Montana - This would have been interesting Montana goes to the Cowboys after Aikman's rookie contract expires.
    Jim Kelly - Fun to watch this no huddle
    Steve Young - If Montana did not get hurt, Cowboys trade Aikman for Young. ;-)

At this rate Aikman isn't even the 8th best QB in his Era and you have (Graham, Starr, Unitas, Tarkenton, Fouts, Bradshaw, Rodgers, Brady, Manning and MAnning, Brees, Rivers, Big Ben, Ken Anderson, Kurt Warner, Staubach and Sammy Baugh) Tough for anyone to crack the top 20 on this list.

Below here is a list that would put up better numbers than Aikman but would incur nasty comments on "lack" of football knowledge. But I will list anyway.

Dave Krieg - he would have dominated behind this line.
    Boomer Esiason - Can you imagine a lefty at the helm of this offense? Mind Blown!
    Jim Everett - Great deep Ball
    Mark Brunell - What about have Brunell in the backfield with Esiason? Two lefties. WOW!
    Randall Cunningham -
    Jeff George - If he only had a line to play behind
    Beldsoe - He was a Cowboy and took them to a SB.

Bledsoe took the Cowboys to a SB, I must have missed that. He was a Cowboy in 2005 and 2006 and the Boys were not in either one of those SB's. NOT!!!

Your list of QB's better than Aikman is laughable. You must have some really good drugs.

Bledsoe took the Patriots to a superbowl against green bay , they were overmatched in that one

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Sorry Joe......you are the one who is delusional if you really think Tarkenton belongs in the top tier of QB's.. I don't know how many times I've heard it said that he got most of his passing yards throwing a 2 yard out to somebody who then ran for 40-80 yards. He couldn't throw a medium ball much less a deep ball. Come on man.

You HEARD? Wow I am SOOOOO sorry to dare to offer an opinion based on facts. A two yard out that is turned into a 40-80 yard gain? You really can't be that................OK, not going to say it.

Tarkenton retired with most completions and TD's and it took about 20 years and Dan Marino (who had better receivers and better offensive lines) to break the records.

I HEARD!!!!!! Why didn't I ever use that one when debating skin or dallas?

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

You HEARD? Wow I am SOOOOO sorry to dare to offer an opinion based on facts. A two yard out that is turned into a 40-80 yard gain? You really can't be that................OK, not going to say it.

Tarkenton retired with most completions and TD's and it took about 20 years and Dan Marino (who had better receivers and better offensive lines) to break the records.

Sorry Joe,,,,,,it's just a fact. He couldn't throw deep.

Dimeman, you're making yourself look foolish at this point. Time to step away, buddy.

The tread that keeps on giving

mark

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Sorry Joe,,,,,,it's just a fact. He couldn't throw deep.

Dimeman you have to admit that Aikman was critized for not being a throw a long ball. He did not have a big arm. He was a good game manager

Mark