Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

*What's the most expensive coin you've seen up for purchase?*

Saw this on Amazon, $160,000 1918 Standing Liberty Quarters. Damn. A man can dream. sigh

Comments

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's about as good as it gets in the world of SLQ's. Pop 4/2.
    Welcome, btw.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    dgtdgt Posts: 4

@sparky64 said:
    That's about as good as it gets in the world of SLQ's. Pop 4/2.
    Welcome, btw.

Thanks, looking forward to learning lots here

• Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

If I remember right, Mr. Perschke wanted $10 million for his Brasher before putting it up for auction at the Heritage Winter FUN sale a few years ago.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ablinky said:
    If I remember right, Mr. Perschke wanted $10 million for his Brasher before putting it up for auction at the Heritage Winter FUN sale a few years ago.

Well that makes a little clearer the "dramatic exit" after it auctioned for $4,582,500 (still Heritage's highest auction price realized), which I recalled reading about it in his Coin Week obituary article last year:

In Memoriam: Notable Chicago Coin Dealer Walter Perschke Passes Away at Age 77

http://www.coinweek.com/people-in-the-news/in-memoriam/memoriam-notable-chicago-coin-dealer-walter-perschke-passes-away-age-77/

...“I remember seeing Perschke interviewed on Louis Rukeyser’s Wall $treet Week and out [Perschke] comes making a dramatic entrance flipping his Brasher Doubloon on the air,” Travers chuckles. “It was the same coin that helped Perschke make a dramatic exit when it failed to bring what he expected,” he continues.

Indeed, Perschke was visibly shaken when his Brasher Doubloon, described as “Almost Uncirculated” in 1979 but later graded MS-63 by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC), failed to bring its anticipated price at the Heritage Auction Platinum Night sale in Orlando, Florida, during the Florida United Numismatists (FUN) convention.

“I felt that of any American coin, it probably has the most romance and the most enthusiastic interest among collectors,” said Perschke of the Brasher Doubloon in a 1987 Chicago Sun-Times interview. “It had the history. It had the pizzazz. It had the marketability.”

Like-thinking analysts believed the coin could fetch as much as $10 million, but it traded hands for the relatively small hammer price of $3.9 million ($4,582,500 with 17.5% buyer’s fee). Perschke, who held the coin for some 35 years, left the auction floor mere moments after bidding was over...

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ownership adds a point.....and a zero. ;)

• Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2017 8:21PM

@WinLoseWin said:

@Ablinky said:

Well that makes a little clearer the "dramatic exit" after it auctioned for $4,582,500 (still Heritage's highest auction price realized), which I recalled reading about it in his Coin Week obituary article last year:

In Memoriam: Notable Chicago Coin Dealer Walter Perschke Passes Away at Age 77

http://www.coinweek.com/people-in-the-news/in-memoriam/memoriam-notable-chicago-coin-dealer-walter-perschke-passes-away-age-77/

...“I remember seeing Perschke interviewed on Louis Rukeyser’s Wall $treet Week and out [Perschke] comes making a dramatic entrance flipping his Brasher Doubloon on the air,” Travers chuckles. “It was the same coin that helped Perschke make a dramatic exit when it failed to bring what he expected,” he continues.

Indeed, Perschke was visibly shaken when his Brasher Doubloon, described as “Almost Uncirculated” in 1979 but later graded MS-63 by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC), failed to bring its anticipated price at the Heritage Auction Platinum Night sale in Orlando, Florida, during the Florida United Numismatists (FUN) convention.

“I felt that of any American coin, it probably has the most romance and the most enthusiastic interest among collectors,” said Perschke of the Brasher Doubloon in a 1987 Chicago Sun-Times interview. “It had the history. It had the pizzazz. It had the marketability.”

Like-thinking analysts believed the coin could fetch as much as $10 million, but it traded hands for the relatively small hammer price of $3.9 million ($4,582,500 with 17.5% buyer’s fee). Perschke, who held the coin for some 35 years, left the auction floor mere moments after bidding was over...

I can add a personal note to the "dramatic exit" piece. My dad and I were at auction when it sold, we got there late so it was standing room only and Walter actually stood right next to my dad as the coin hammered, then after storming out of the room my dad asked who it was so I told him that is was the "displeased" former owner.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

RCW has several coins in the $250k to $1.6m range for sale (none at $5.5m though):
    rarecoinwholesalers.com/search?q=&orderby=11

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The incredible prices realized today for some of the ultra rarities is amazing. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does that billionaire guy have anything on par with this?

Gorgeous coin and history but it looks like it was written by a high school second-year senior.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of years ago, Heritage had one of the 1913 Liberty Head Nickels for sale at its table at the FUN show. If I remember correctly, the asking price was in the $3-$4M range.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ndCharter said:
    A couple of years ago, Heritage had one of the 1913 Liberty Head Nickels for sale at its table at the FUN show. If I remember correctly, the asking price was in the $3-$4M range.

I hope somebody asked, "Okay, what's the best you can do?"

B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file