Home U.S. Coin Forum

What's the best way to dispose of an old counterfeit coin?

CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭

Do you trash it? Is it collectable? Got this in a silver roll from ebay. The roll was from a set put together and included 3 34 DDO,S mints etc. ,so made a good profit from purchase and no gripe against the seller . Weight is low and clearly it's not a US mint struck quarter. .

Comments

• MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be a contemporary counterfeit so it should have a little bit of value. It may be hard to find a collector for them and I couldn't help you with an estimated value. Kind of a cool piece though, I wouldn't trash it.

• AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Sell it to me. I collect them :)

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are collectible for sure. Someone would want it but getting the word out is a ???

bob
    I agree that it's contemporary (not newly made)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drop it in the coinstar reject slot.

:)

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pay a few bucks for it, just as a reference and educational piece. I have wanted a henning nickel for a long time.

• KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭

They are collectible, and great for education. I suggest putting it aside until someone expresses interest in buying it from you. However, don't expect a great deal of money.

CCAC Representative of the General Public
    Columnist for The Numismatist
    2021 Young Numismatist of the Year

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trade it for a new counterfeit coin.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Contemporary counterfeits certainly are collectible (there is even a book about fake Capped Bust halves). I would keep it. I have a duplicate Dansco 7070 album, with odd coins in it, including a bunch of contemporary counterfeits (Henning nickel, plated/reeded 1883 NC Liberty nickel in a quarter eagle hole, fake CBH, fake Franklin half, etc.).

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do NOT trash it. It is a piece of history, collectible as such, as has value -- at least $10-20, maybe a little more depending on the collector. LOTS of people collect them.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

I'll take it (and pay you a bit for it)...I am starting to collect this kind of stuff.

• CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the responses. May/may not put on the BST after a time. Some have already expressed interest , My response was>> " Hi. Maybe after a time. See what others say. Not really looking to advertise to sell. That is "spam". Just want some opinions,for now. Thanks Rich"

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was probably the most interesting piece in the roll. You should keep it.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2017 5:11PM

I would keep it for a while, learn about contemporary counterfeits and see if you develop an appreciation for it.

It's a great story about how you picked it up.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

BST that should go well on the back channel.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    Contemporary counterfeits certainly are collectible (there is even a book about fake Capped Bust halves). I would keep it. I have a duplicate Dansco 7070 album, with odd coins in it, including a bunch of contemporary counterfeits (Henning nickel, plated/reeded 1883 NC Liberty nickel in a quarter eagle hole, fake CBH, fake Franklin half, etc.).

That is where I keep my counterfiet/fake/copy coins, in my 7070...it's almost full.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ANA keeps a set of counterfeit coins for educational purposes and always appreciated donations to their reference collection.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it and like many above posters, I would even buy it for a few bucks. Cool find!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep....I purchased (knowingly) a counterfeit Morgan - and it is a good one too....I keep it for reference and registered it with a counterfeit site....Cheers, RickO

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting piece....keep it or sell it but do not 'dispose' of it :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a small problem as I see it. For this to be a valuable contemporary fake - that is late 1800's - it would need to have been made and circulated back then. This piece is the typical lead stuff made at a much later time. One of the four major TPGS slabs counterfeit coins for educational purposes.

I also collect counterfeits. The more deceptive the better. I've got approximately fifty of these crude lead Barbers, Morgan and Seated fakes. I would love to dump them for a few bucks each but have never had anyone show interest as they can usually be found in a dealer's junk box.

If you don't want the piece, donate to the ANA; however, I've not seen crude stuff like this in the basic counterfeit course.

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a very interesting website for Liberty Seated **Dime **counterfeits, at http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/cf_date/cf_date_mintmark.htm Maybe they can steer you in a good direction.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please don't spend them. They're likely to end up in a childrens hands.

• VeepVeep Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭

I put gold ones in a vise and bend them over with a hammer and then send them in for melt. Others get accumulated in a 40 coin wallet and then donated to the ANA every couple of years

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

True contemporary counterfeits can be more valuable than the real coin! Depends on the series.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have Daniel (Carr) smash another token into it like he did on a communist "silver" (potmetal) dollar.

• CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭

The coin appears to be made of "white metal." It has a "ring" to it but not like silver. Don't think it's lead. May be wrong. It is 5 grams. Silver quarter is around 6. Still investigating this new to me area of numismatics.... :)

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

COPY

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file