Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Liberty Silver Medals

giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm confused about all the Liberty silver medals coming out. Anyone have a handle on exactly what is coming when, what are the mintage limits (if any), and which ones might be worth acquiring? I didn't pay much attention to the ones that came out last year but they seem to have done pretty well IIRC.

Comments?

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Comments

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen anything confirmed by the US Mint recently.

However, there was information suggesting that the 2017 Liberty Silver Medals would be released in a 4 coin set,
    with each medal having a different finish and struck at a different mint.

There was also a person that asked about the silver version on the US Mint's facebook page after the release of the gold one. Someone from the mint responded that it would be released in June. However, that post has now been edited.

It appears that the mintage might be higher than the 2016 version. The cost might be similar, but you may have to buy all 4 coins in one set (unless there will be an option for ordering single pieces). These medals may still be worth acquiring unless the Mint puts a ridiculously high mintage.

See this story from Coin World for some info:
    http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2016/10/mint-contemplates-silver-medals-in-four-finishes.all.html

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy them if you like them but don't expect to make any money on them unless you are able to do quick flip immediately upon receiving them. They are medals, not coins.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am hoping for a single silver issue.... as a gift for a friend.... However, have not seen any indication that this will be happening... please post if anyone hears something. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2017 7:09AM

@ricko and others:
    I just noticed the following article that says there will be an individual proof medal from the Philadelphia Mint issued in June as well as a 4 medal set issued later in the year.

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2017/04/mint-debuts-five-2017-american-liberty-silver-medals.all.html

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago...Thanks for the information..... Looks like we will have to have 'our finger on the trigger' when the single piece units go on sale....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file