Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Kennedy halves... any rare dates?

I'm looking for some rare dates/mintarks. The only Kennedy halves I know are the ones from 1964-1970 :|

Comments

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1998-S satin finish silver half dollar (was in the RFK commem set).

The 2012-S silver proof half dollar.

• Options
    thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Probably some rare varieties - the 1998 satin is probably about as rare as there is in the series. 1964 accented hair, 1964 transitional die - those come to mind also. 1964 sms half dollar is probably the rarest actually.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a couple of DDO's and one QDO I think... have to check my folder... There is a '64D repunched mint mark. Check the Mega Redbook... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some are very tough in nice choice condition. For instance the '80-D is thought of as a very nice example since they appear as spectacular Gems in mint sets but a closer examination will show almost every single mint set example has shallow scrapes on the reverse. Sometimes it's the obverse or both.

There are no scarce dates/ mms but finding nice Gems can be very very difficult for several of the dates. Even the bicentennial issues usually have scratches and the '71 usually has marking on the reverse shield. Well struck Gems are tougher than quarters which are plenty tough enough.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never found a 70-D in change or heard of anyone that has, so it's pretty rare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file