Home Precious Metals

Its just another form of insurance for me.

When my kid was born almost 10 years ago, and at age 32, I bought my very 1st life insurance policy. Not because I expected to die, but just in case that were to happen. I buy little ingots of white and yellow metal not because I expect a cataclysmic collapse of the world's reserve currency, but its nice to have just in case. And unlike my term life insurance policy, those little pieces of metal will have some type of value 20 years from now in the event that no collapse happens. So in addition to the insurance aspect, there is the associated benefit of having a much more entertaining way of saving earnings than would be the case of watching 1's and 0's accumulate in some online bank statement. Hobby, insurance, savings all rolled up into one activity....precious metals collecting literally rocks!

Comments

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.n I like your thought process. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insurance? Where's RT?

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geckster109, good post and I agree with you. It's always good to have insurance; it may never be needed but will be very appreciated if that time ever comes.

Meanwhile, enjoy your 'insurance policy'!

----- kj
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insurance is exactly that....'In case something happens'....so might as well enjoy it in the meantime... besides, term policies end up being nothing but paper if not used. Cheers, RickO

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer to consider the tangible assets as investments rather than insurance. Either description is fine though.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

100 posts Gecko! Thank you for including me in your generous giveaway!

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Commodities are insurance? Lol, that's a losing prop... oh except the only commodity that's great insurance is toilet paper...

keceph `anah
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rawteam1 said:
    Commodities are insurance? Lol, that's a losing prop... oh except the only commodity that's great insurance is toilet paper...

Well, yeah. Unless you unexpectedly die.

• Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

@rawteam1 said:

I have steadily been trading in my toilet paper for metals for the last 10 years. ;)

edited April 10, 2017 11:58AM

@Geckster109 said:

@rawteam1 said:

I have steadily been trading in my toilet paper for metals for the last 10 years. ;)

That's not insurance, that's a losing trade...
    Just like shorting Boeing...

keceph `anah
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rawteam1 said:

@Geckster109 said:

@rawteam1 said:

Shorting Boeing proved to be a winner....albeit a minor one!

;)

• Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

@rawteam1 said:

@Geckster109 said:

@rawteam1 said:

Insurance by its very nature is usually a "losing trade". How much have you paid in your lifetime in home owner's insurance? How much worth of claims have you settled? Same question for your auto insurance? Get the point yet? ;)

Yep long time ago, only pay for forced insurance, don't give the house any more free money than it steals already...

keceph `anah