Home Precious Metals
Options

My siblings were cleaning out the old family farmhouse..

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 8, 2017 12:45PM in Precious Metals

My mother sadly passed away back in December, and my oldest brother is moving back home to live in the farmhouse so it's not empty. My mom had lived there since 1952 and accumulated quite a lot of stuff. She had a large closet that had not been opened in a long time and was always off-limits to us kids. We finally got to open it! Here's what we found inside...!

China! All of it very breakable. No wonder we kids were never allowed to monkey around in there. This is just one set. They were four sets of China. An insane amount. My grandmother in Mexico had a maid, which is the only way you could even set this sort of stuff out. Most of the China seem to revolve around Queen Elizabeth's visit to America in 1939.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options

Silverware and sterling trinkets! Almost all of it marked Sanborns Mexico,
    from when my grandmother was living down south in the 1930s.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2017 12:57PM

Some of it was hand engraved with charming animals.

• Options

In another closet we found this.
    It turned out to be mostly pennies, and only had about $290 in it

• Options

Money in a card my mom never spent..

• Options

We decided to keep it all in the family, though the China is a pain to store.

• Options

Money my dad must have socked away in the 80s was found stuffed in a teapot.

• Options
    pennyholicpennyholic Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss. Who doesn't love treasure hunting and it looks like some cool stuff.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about your mother. I always get a little sad doing stuff like this. Glad you decided to keep it in the family.

• Options

Finding my mom's sterling baby cup from 1933 was a emotional roller coaster. There are six kids and all six agreed to keep the collection intact. Mom would have been proud.

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

So sorry for your loss. Its always a heavy task to go sorting through things that your parents consider valuable. Now those dollar bills are not only money but in a sense a symbol of who your parents are...their hard work and sacrifice and savings for a rainy day. That sterling baby cup is something no amount of money can buy.

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am very sorry for your loss, @kiyote.

• Options

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words! I mostly just wanted to share the silver since it's a metals forum. :)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:

Some of it was hand engraved with charming animals.

THat is from the Hanna Barbera collection if I'm not mistaken . The secret squirrel you have there goes with a Morocco mole and the ultra rare squiddley diddly completes the set

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss. I lost my Mom last year as well.

What a COOl post nevertheless!

M

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss Kiyote.... I lost my Mom last year as well.... and going through everything is a real emotional roller coaster....If you are a coin collector, there may be some great cents in that bucket.... Not sure if you are keeping them as well.... but some collector would certainly love to go through them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry.
    follow your passions :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have kept many things belonging to our deceased parents because they remind us so comfortingly of them and our lives with them. We've explicitly decided to leave it to our heirs or to their heirs to deal with them, when the emotional bonds have faded. Your mother's wonderful china set made me think of that!

My condolences to you and your siblings.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too am sorry to hear about your mother. :(
    Neat stuff you are finding though.