Home Sports Talk
Options

Troy Aikman #5 on the Top 50 All Time Number 1 Draft Picks....

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what was written about Troy!

5) Troy Aikman, quarterback
Drafted by: Dallas Cowboys, 1989.

Hard to believe that it was 28 years ago when Troy Aikman was drafted first overall by the Dallas Cowboys. Aikman was the first ever draft pick by Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones. After beginning his career with 11 straight losses, Aikman would eventually start (and win) three Super Bowls. He also posted an 11-5 playoff record in the process. Many league observers consider him the most accurate intermediate thrower they've ever seen. His leadership? Off the charts.

Not bad for what one person here on the boards called a "Journeyman".....LOL!!!

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine how good he would have been under Tom Landry!

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Imagine how good he would have been under Tom Landry!

That would have great, but I have no problem with Jimmy Johnson as a coach. It's the owner that is the big problem.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2017 7:26AM

Good thing he was wasn't drafted by the Lions or Browns.

The Herschel Walker trade didn't hurt the team record, either. Oh, and the HOF RB and the HOF WR, and arguably the best OL in history.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2017 8:07AM

Jon Kitna would have won several rings on those teams

Aikman was pretty good

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Colin Kapernick would have won with that team

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im not going to say Romo was better than Aikman, Im going to say they were about equal. Aikman without a doubt had a way better supporting cast although Romo played in the league that protected the QB better and allowed the WR to get open easier. Football is tough to judge players because of the variables that go into the discussion. I would take Aikman if I had to chose between the two though

• Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

@grote15 said:
    and arguably the best OL in history.

A million times this. That OL gets WAY too little credit for that Cowboys run.

• Options

@PM770 said:

@grote15 said:

That's why I say Barry Sanders was far better than Emmitt

• Options

@perkdog said:

@PM770 said:

@grote15 said:

No way Sanders was better than Emmitt.....NO WAY!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@PM770 said:

@grote15 said:

• Options

@perkdog said:

@PM770 said:

@grote15 said:

• Options

@perkdog said:

@PM770 said:

@grote15 said:

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@PM770 said:

@grote15 said:

WAY

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    edited April 6, 2017 4:13PM

DM is so excited he's repeating himself, LOL..

Barry was better, too, not really debatable, either.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    DM is so excited he's repeating himself, LOL..

Barry was better, too, not really debatable, either.

Correct. No debate. Barry all day long and twice on Sunday's. Even Emmit knows

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Even ignoring the OL (which is impossible, of course), who was the best QB that Sanders played with? Erik Kramer?

• Options

Sanders is laughable even being mentioned as a good running back. Here is a PARTIAL list of better RB's.

Emmitt Smith
    Jim Brown
    Earl Campbell
    O.J. Simpson
    Eric Dickerson
    Tony Dorsett
    Gale Sayers
    Bo Jackson

Like I said this is just a partial list.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Sanders is laughable even being mentioned as a good running back. Here is a PARTIAL list of better RB's.

Emmitt Smith
    Jim Brown
    Earl Campbell
    O.J. Simpson
    Eric Dickerson
    Tony Dorsett
    Chuck Muncie
    Gale Sayers
    Bo Jackson

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only see Jim Brown as better.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Add:

Walter Payton
    Demarcus Murray
    Zek.......yes Zek is a better runner any day and 3 times on Sunday.

• Options

Marcus Allen is another.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

This is what deranged Cowboy fans do whoever they are told by more knowledgeable fans that Sanders was better then Smith. They rank Sanders way down the list as if that gives their voice more credibility. All is really does is makes them look more ridiculous. I've seen it a lot over the years. Dimeman is text book. Your list is mental and your Zek and Murray comments make you look even more foolish. The more you type the more you prove that point.

Jon you are a peach

Mark

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

Emmitt Smith
    Jim Brown
    Earl Campbell
    O.J. Simpson
    Eric Dickerson
    Tony Dorsett
    Gale Sayers
    Bo Jackson

No Ron Springs?

• Options

You cannot reason with delusional thinking, lol..

• Options

@PM770 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Emmitt Smith
    Jim Brown
    Earl Campbell
    O.J. Simpson
    Eric Dickerson
    Tony Dorsett
    Gale Sayers
    Bo Jackson

No Ron Springs?

At least Ron Springs always ran towards the end zone. Sanders running style reminds me of a chicken with it's head cut off.

If I was building a team I would rather have anybody on that list than Sanders for my running back. Even if you don't like Zek because he is a rookie...look at the others on that list. All of them are great open field runners or runners that would just over you.

• Options

One of the reasons Barry had to dance around so much is his OL didn't open up gaping holes for him to run through, the guys athleticism was beyond a doubt and he averaged 5 yards a carry, over a 9 year stretch. That number in itself tells you he was an incredible Runner, add in the crappy teams he had around him and that sub par line equals one of the best ever.

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Being a Bear fan, I watched a lot of games between the Bears and Lions. Barry Sanders was an incredible runner. You'd think 3 guys had him trapped and the next thing you know, he duked all three. I also watched a lot of players grabbing air instead of Sanders. Emmitt was good, but come one, he ran behind that line!!!

• Options

@TheMick said:
    Being a Bear fan, I watched a lot of games between the Bears and Lions. Barry Sanders was an incredible runner. You'd think 3 guys had him trapped and the next thing you know, he duked all three. I also watched a lot of players grabbing air instead of Sanders. Emmitt was good, but come one, he ran behind that line!!!

Everybody keeps going on about the line. Yes, the line gets you the hole and first...what..2 yards! from them on it's running ability. I'll stay with Emmitt.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@TheMick said:

Everybody keeps going on about the line. Yes, the line gets you the hole and first...what..2 yards! from them on it's running ability. I'll stay with Emmitt.

To quote Abe Lincoln, "Better to remain silent and have others believe you a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

• Options

@PM770 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@TheMick said:

To quote Abe Lincoln, "Better to remain silent and have others believe you a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

OK.....so how many yards do "YOU" think the line gets you!!! Do they run along in front of the runner all the way down the field!!!!! I THINK NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@PM770 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@TheMick said:

OK.....so how many yards do "YOU" think the line gets you!!! Do they run along in front of the runner all the way down the field!!!!! I THINK NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That "Great Wall" is considered by many to be the most dominant offensive line in NFL history. Emmitt Smith was a good runner. I'm not saying he wasn't good but he ran behind the best line ever. Barry Sanders was an elite runner and he ran behind a crappy line most of his career.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@PM770 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@TheMick said:

You know, you came within 10 exclamation marks of convincing me.

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Emmitt was great. No question or argument there. But his line more often than not provided him a hole so he could get a running start vs. secondary. Plus his QB/WR/TE combo and Defense were great help in team strategy. Advantage Emmitt.

Barry had to beat the first man through the Swiss Cheese in front of him, plus all the LBs and DBs that were now moving full speed towards him. Plus, they were often playing from behind. Advantage Defense. But somehow that slippery juking machine still found a way to elude and evade most, and pull a ridiculous per rush average...which takes into account the defense being able to press its advantage...lost yardage. In a battle of highlights, Barry wins.

The teams surrounding individual players absolutely makes a difference.

Was Barry "the best"? I'm not sure, but he was pretty spectacular to my eyes and he's in the argument for sure. And to be fair, so was Emmitt. But let's be careful with absolutes...even when discussing All Time Leading Rusher...lots of factors at play in that stat.

I loved Emmitt...and Dorsett, without question two of the best ever. But Sanders and Payton were better than both their respective contemporaries. I don't like them more, but I'm rational enough to admit the facts.

But still, if you ask my dad (an oldtimer, LOL)...nobody was better than Jim Brown, and he saw all of the guys in the argument play.

We all have experiences, influences and opinions that aren't/weren't data driven, that are pervasive in our own minds. There are ridiculous claims made by fans(homers) of all teams across all sports. So before you deride ALL/MOST Cowboys fans as kooks, the truth is ALL/MOST homers are kooks. There's a HUGE difference between favorite and best. No one can argue your favorite...it's personal. Anyone can argue best, but arguments are won/lost on facts.

Dime....we definitely have commonalities in our love for the Cowboys, and some things we agree on, but IMO, you do the fan base(especially the Cowboys who are already loathed by most) a disservice when spouting personal opinion as fact, and continue to argue your point in the face of data to the contrary. When looking at data or stating "facts", you need to remove the jersey and be truly objective.

So Emmitt is your favorite, and one of the best. No one can argue with the first, and few, if any with the second...and if they do you'll get support from the field. The arguer becomes the kook. See how that works?

Disclaimer: The above statements are purely opinion.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

@vintagefun said:
    Emmitt was great. No question or argument there. But his line more often than not provided him a hole so he could get a running start vs. secondary. Plus his QB/WR/TE combo and Defense were great help in team strategy. Advantage Emmitt.

Barry had to beat the first man through the Swiss Cheese in front of him, plus all the LBs and DBs that were now moving full speed towards him. Plus, they were often playing from behind. Advantage Defense. But somehow that slippery juking machine still found a way to elude and evade most, and pull a ridiculous per rush average...which takes into account the defense being able to press its advantage...lost yardage. In a battle of highlights, Barry wins.

The teams surrounding individual players absolutely makes a difference.

Was Barry "the best"? I'm not sure, but he was pretty spectacular to my eyes and he's in the argument for sure. And to be fair, so was Emmitt. But let's be careful with absolutes...even when discussing All Time Leading Rusher...lots of factors at play in that stat.

I loved Emmitt...and Dorsett, without question two of the best ever. But Sanders and Payton were better than both their respective contemporaries. I don't like them more, but I'm rational enough to admit the facts.

But still, if you ask my dad (an oldtimer, LOL)...nobody was better than Jim Brown, and he saw all of the guys in the argument play.

We all have experiences, influences and opinions that aren't/weren't data driven, that are pervasive in our own minds. There are ridiculous claims made by fans(homers) of all teams across all sports. So before you deride ALL/MOST Cowboys fans as kooks, the truth is ALL/MOST homers are kooks. There's a HUGE difference between favorite and best. No one can argue your favorite...it's personal. Anyone can argue best, but arguments are won/lost on facts.

Dime....we definitely have commonalities in our love for the Cowboys, and some things we agree on, but IMO, you do the fan base(especially the Cowboys who are already loathed by most) a disservice when spouting personal opinion as fact, and continue to argue your point in the face of data to the contrary. When looking at data or stating "facts", you need to remove the jersey and be truly objective.

So Emmitt is your favorite, and one of the best. No one can argue with the first, and few, if any with the second...and if they do you'll get support from the field. The arguer becomes the kook. See how that works?

Disclaimer: The above statements are purely opinion.

Very well said. In my "opinion" Smith was better even considering the difference in players around the two. I just never cared for Sanders. I should not take it so personal that others may prefer Sanders.

If I was building a mock team and could have 4 RB's.....my choices would be:

Smith, Dorsett, Brown and Campbell. With O.J. as a backup. And throw in Payton as another backup.

• Options

I never saw Jim Brown play but Berry Sanders was the best RB I ever saw, hands down.

Montana was the best QB I ever saw, till Brady eclipsed him.

I hate the Pats but if you're going to be an objective fan (I.e. the opposite of DM, lol), you give credit where credit is due.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

If I was building a mock team and could have 4 RB's.....my choices would be:

Smith, Dorsett, Brown and Campbell. With O.J. as a backup. And throw in Payton as another backup.

I see a problem with your plan , Oj would probably get jealous and murder the other 4

• Options

Good Lord. Dorsett in the top 4? He is MAYBE a top 15 RB of all time.

Too four

Sanders
    Brown
    Payton

I could go a lot of different ways at 4

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Good Lord. Dorsett in the top 4? He is MAYBE a top 15 RB of all time.

Too four

Sanders
    Brown
    Payton

I could go a lot of different ways at 4

mark

There you go Mark. I didn't say Dorsett was the 4th best RB. I picked 2 Full Backs and 2 Half Backs that I would like on my team. "Touchdown Tony" was very very very great RB.

• Options

Well you didn't say that. I'm not a mind reader but I do try to translate some of your stuff to others.

Dorsett was pretty good

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Well you didn't say that. I'm not a mind reader but I do try to translate some of your stuff to others.

Dorsett was pretty good

mark

Thanks. I thank you and Tony thanks you.

• Options

Potentially Bo Jackson could have been better than all of them had he stayed healthy

• Options
    edited April 11, 2017 12:30PM

@Justacommeman said:

Dorsett was pretty good

mark

Dimewhisperer

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Potentially Bo Jackson could have been better than all of them had he stayed healthy

I think (but may be wrong) that Bo Jackson is the only person to be an All Star in Baseball and a Pro Bowler in Football.

He was something. My favorite play of Bo was when he ran over that big mouth line backer from OK in the Pros.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2017 2:27PM

Translation---------Brian Bosworth

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Translation---------Brian Bosworth

mark

Yep.....wasn't that great. I love the commercial they do now on T.V. Surprised Brian agreed to do that....must need the money. :)

• Options

Honestly I think that play when Bo allegedly ran over The Boz is one of the most overhyped plays ever, if you watch it you will clearly see it wasn't a "head on" collision at all, Boz had a bad angle on him and didn't have a chance, classic 1980's stuff though.

• Options

Hey Dimeman. I couldn't find this list. Could you link it? The only one I could find was the top 32 number 1 picks of all time. Barry Sanders was #3 and Troy I don't think made the the list. I stopped looking after 20. I wanted to compare the two lists. I also wanted to see where Sanders ranked on the list you found.

mark

• Options
    edited April 11, 2017 9:54PM

@perkdog said:
    Honestly I think that play when Bo allegedly ran over The Boz is one of the most overhyped plays ever, if you watch it you will clearly see it wasn't a "head on" collision at all, Boz had a bad angle on him and didn't have a chance, classic 1980's stuff though.

Agree 100%. They make it seem like Bo steamrolled Bosworth but he simply outran him. Still showed that Bo was an elite RB that Boz had no chance of stopping but the way people talk about that play, you'd think it was like the play when Campbell headbutted that Rams linebacker and kept plowing downfield with his jersey hanging off, lol..

ETA, found the Campbell play..

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TsegJVLrmk8

• Options

I loved how Campbell held the football like a Honey Baked Ham on Easter Sunday

mark