Home Precious Metals

Gold Nugget value help required

A gentleman approached me about selling me a gold nugget. Sorry I did not get a picture of it, if needed should be able to get one. It is abut the size of an elonged cent and weights 44 grams. I know at 1 time nuggets were prized but am not sure if they still are in todays market.
In figuring the AGW I used 90% pure. But is there a market for it and where?
Any help would be appreciated.
Nick

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2017 6:16PM

Go to ebay and price similar nuggets. (Both for sale and completed sales)

Premium to melt value partly depends on the shape ("coolness") of the nugget, but an average nugget that large is worth quite a bit more than AGW (assuming it's genuine)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

As far as premiums for larger gold nuggets, your question of where to find a buyer willing to pay that premium is key. I had two acquaintances over the years that knew the answer. One designs custom jewelry and the other is an obsessive rockhound. I wouldn't be surprised if some folks on the metal detecting forum could give you satisfactory answers.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be careful... I never trust these casual nugget sellers... too much scamming going on ... I would only purchase a nugget from someone I knew and knew they got it the hard way.... Cheers, RickO

• StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Speaking of nuggets, it's been a while since I've shared this one. I like it because it's Alaskan gold and documented.

I also like that it's an example of how the price of gold was fixed at $35 back at that time ... thanks to good ol' FDR (ha!).

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an attractive nugget.... The one's I have found do not have 'character' like that one, they are more oval and plain.... Cheers, RickO

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice indeed. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed a very attractive nugget there.

• biosolarbiosolar Posts: 164 ✭✭

Thanks Everyone
    I am heeding ya'll advice, and will steer clear of this. If he returns I may offer to help him sell it here on the board.
    Nick