Home Precious Metals
Options

I'm looking for advise about gold nuggets

A gentleman approached me about selling me a gold nugget. Sorry I did not get a picture of it, if needed should be able to get one. It is abut the size of an elonged cent and weights 44 grams. I know at 1 time nuggets were prized but am not sure if they still are in todays market.
In figuring the AGW I used 90% pure. But is there a market for it and where?
Any help would be appreciated.
Nick

Best Answers

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always avoided buying nuggets... sellers always seem to be certain the purity is very high and without a way to test that, I'm just not willing to cut a check.

I do see folks trading them at shows though, so there is some market, but nothing like bullion coins and bars.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two nice nuggets... but got them the hard way.... I would not trust the casual sellers at all... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd only accept them free. >:)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland....I will take what you cannot carry... :D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2017 10:53AM Answer ✓

Maybe if you get it for half or less of the gold weight value so if you were to sell it later say to a gold buyer that would melt it. Neat value. But I wouldn't normally buy that from anyone, only a reputable business like apmex, etc... If not specifically looking for a nugget, buy a gold coin from a known source.
    We'd be so interested in hearing more of his details and how much he wanted for it.

COA
  • Options
    biosolarbiosolar Posts: 164 ✭✭

Thanks Everyone on your thoughts around this. I will not pursue this but if he wants I may post it on the metal detecting board. Again Thanks this board has never let me down when I've need help.
    Nick

Answers

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2017 7:08PM

I hate crap like that . Resist whatever urge you have, leave it for the next guy . Not a two way market , future buyers will be skeptical with good reason.

Kick him in the shins , tell him to move along

• Options
    Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

Finally something Bronco and I agree on! You will be raked over the coals when trying to sell. Unless this is just a fun hobby for you, i'd stack bullion and leave the nuggets alone.