Options
ANA Orlando show attracts 2,500
Surprised aatendence was so low? Was this due to the fact the Fun show was held in January or some ofher factor involved?
Did the ANA promote it locally to try and get more people to attend?
http://blog.greysheet.com/2017/03/28/press-release-national-money-show-draws-2-500-attendees/
0
Comments
The ANA refuses to accept the fact they provide so little in today's fast pace cyber world. I predict soon they will lose the auctions too. This organization does not want to change. Very sad.
The alarm bells should be sounding at HQ. I heard they are not. 2500 is pathetic.
Still too many coin shows to support the collecting base. I agree, 2500 is weak for an ANA show.
That does seem small for a show like that.... what has past attendance been? Cheers, RickO
My prediction is that the mid-winter ANA show won't exist in 5 years.
For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.
The Reeded Edge
New Orleans 2013 - 3,204
Portland 2015 - 4,592
Dallas 2016 - 2,585 (there was, to be a fair a HUGE snow storm)
ANA 50+ year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
Author: 3rd Edition of the SampleSlabs book, https://sampleslabs.info/
It was surprisingly low considering Orlando did not have the January FUN show this year (or last year).
Owner/Founder GreatCollections
GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
I would like to know how they come up with that number. It did not look anywhere like 2500 to me. I was there everyday.
IMO if the goal is to increase attendance the ANA has to move to free admission. Marketing to the local collectors and those curious is not going to help when it costs $15 to park and $8 admission. Let's face it...most coin collectors are cheap and if it is going to cost over 30 bucks to just to walk in the door with my kid, it ain't going to happen in most cases. And then add to it the fact that most dealers bail by early Saturday it only takes one time for a collector to come, spend that kind of money to get in on the only day they can attend, and they will never return.
Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia
Findley Ridge Collection
About Findley Ridge
Maybe it was 2500 people who went through the door! Most people who attend a coin show go through the door multiple times during the day! I doubt there were 100 people waiting to enter the show the 1st day.
I've been to several dying shows in other industries...when it gets this low, they tend to count booth staff, security and pets to try and put a happy face on it.
I don't know how they count. The RIGHT way would be to count ANA members who pre-register, plus day of sales at the site, less dealers & helpers.
The smaller show is a terrific opportunity to bring the breadth of an ANA show to areas of the country that don't have large shows. But that's not how it's being scheduled. Of course, there is the usual problem that few venues actually want the ANA show.
Portland did well for two reasons - one is the PNNA got behind the show and pushed. Hard. The second is that this is basically an isolated region of 10 or 11 states. There is an active show scene (http://www.pnna.org/calendar.html) but only one really large show a year (fall) with a smaller show in the spring. Those shows rarely draw more than a handful of 'remote' dealers. It was a big deal to have a dealer from Mississippi attend one year. Even so, maybe 1/4th of my coin club made the 2 hour trip.
ANA 50+ year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
Author: 3rd Edition of the SampleSlabs book, https://sampleslabs.info/
I was not there, but if only 2,500 people attended this show, it was a very light turn-out.
I knew it was bad but that is really pathetic. At least the weather was great!
I think that is about 2,499 more than turned out for the ANA show in Pittsburgh in 2011.
In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson
I believe they count all of the dealers, pre-registered ANA members and show volunteers in the first day attendance only. They are not double counted each day of the show but I am sure they are all in the final count.
Michael Kittle Rare Coins --- 1908-S Indian Head Cent Grading Set --- No. 1 1909 Mint Set --- Kittlecoins on Facebook --- Long Beach Table 700
I actually did quite well at the Pittsburg ANA! Can't say that about Orlando.
I was at the Portland ANA and am amazed at the number 4,592. That seems at least triple reality. So Orlando must have been a ghost town. Even crickets didn't show up?
Which day(s) were you in Portland?
http://www.coinweek.com/coin-clubs/american-numismatic-association/attendance-numbers-in-for-ana-portland-national-money-show/
Saturday saw over 1,400 public admissions.
Also, I hadn't noticed but that article had more #s for other years:
ANA 50+ year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
Author: 3rd Edition of the SampleSlabs book, https://sampleslabs.info/
Surprised Sacramento was that highly attended. Attended believe the second day but literaly nobody was on the floor, but maybe due really cold and windy for that time period.
Does that mean the FUN show attracts the majority of people from out of area as opposed to FL collectors?
With Denver attendence that low does not look good for upcoming show.