Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Roosevelt Dime Set

onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 20, 2018 4:21PM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

My 1946 - 1964 48 coin Silver Roosevelt Dime Set "Almighty Dimes" has been SOLD. This set contained 7 pop 1/0 and 22 top pops with a GPA of 70.41 and ranked ATF #1. The set included the 1947S MS68+FB, This is the only silver Roosevelt dime Graded MS68+FB by PCGS. This set was so much fun to put together. I'm sure the new owner will be adding at least 46 of these coins to his current #2 set which will create the new ATF #1 set. Congratulations to the new owner. I need to acknowledge a few special people that without them this accomplishment and sale would not have happened. First and foremost Dan Close, This set was started by Dan and without him I never would have had the opportunity to complete it. Dick from Greattoning, 7 incredible coins came through Dick including the 1947S MS68+FB, the 1954S MS68FB and the 1963D MS67+FB, all 3 pop 1/0's. Bill Kelley (rainbowroosie). Bill has never let go of any coin from his collection, Thank you Bill for letting go of the most incredible 1962 dime I have ever seen. MS68FB, another pop 1/0. Mitch and Justin Spivack (wondercoins), What a team, They handled the sell as my agents and earned every bit of their fee. I believe this was a record price paid for a Roosevelt set and I'm saddened letting it go. A big Thank You goes out to the Roosie Gang for all your support and help along the way.

Onlyroosies
Nick Cascio

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nick,

What an unbelievable achievement in assembling this set (Actually your 3rd if I'm not mistaken). I looked at it almost every day to see what gem you may have added or upgraded. I'm also kinda sad to see it sold and was hoping you could get a run of 7+FB/8FB's for the entire set, but that will have to wait until you start your 4th set! :)

You are truly the "King" of the Roosevelt Dime!

Your Pal Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Nick,
    The good news is you sold your set...The bad news is you sold your set....I know it felt like a part of your family... :):'(

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the sale :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 1:28PM

Nick,

All I can say is WOW! I just didn't think after your 1st set you built and auctioned that you or anyone else could assemble such another eye popping set, but you did it more than once!!! Well done and congrats to you and Wondercoins, in keeping a great set together B)

Ken

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nick,

Congrats my friend!!! I know the set was a labor of love, and one that took a few years of searching, buying, making and upgrading to complete. It's been fun to watch the set grow, and I hope the new owner savors the set as much as you do/did.

Jim

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 6:02PM
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2017 6:24PM

This post needs pictures.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options

• Options

@onlyroosies said:

I love Nick's leftovers (if that's what they are) they're always quite tasty.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

Not leftovers. Those and these went with the set

• Options

Jim, You should recognize the 55D.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who knew these little coins could be so pretty? Any regrets?

• Options

@abcde12345 said:
    Who knew these little coins could be so pretty? Any regrets?

No Regrets, Over time they always come back home.

• Options

I do have one regret, I apparently screwed up when I was retiring several sets. I retired 7 sets that these dimes were in and then I deleted them from my inventory and poof my retired sets disappeared. I must have hit a wrong button. I would have liked them to stay as All Time Finest and show retired. Can that be reversed?

• Options

@onlyroosies said:
    I do have one regret, I apparently screwed up when I was retiring several sets. I retired 7 sets that these dimes were in and then I deleted them from my inventory and poof my retired sets disappeared. I must have hit a wrong button. I would have liked them to stay as All Time Finest and show retired. Can that be reversed?

I bet PCGS can make it happen, give em a call.

• Options

@onlyroosies said:

Nick if I were you I would contact PCGS pronto. Call Cosetta and she can assist. I deleted my entire inventory by accident several years ago and was in awe of her ability to "Make it happen".

If she cannot (Doubt it) what you can do is go to your retired inventory (All cert #'s are saved as sold ) and add all 48 cert #'s to your set and add each coin to available sets. Unfortunately you will have to start a brand new 48-64 set. Then retire the sets again the correct way.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

I see all the dimes have been added to the new ATF 46-64 D. L. Hansen set. Congrats to Mr. Hansen I hope he enjoys them as much as I did.

• Options

@onlyroosies said:
    I see all the dimes have been added to the new ATF 46-64 D. L. Hansen set. Congrats to Mr. Hansen I hope he enjoys them as much as I did.

I think you might not be able to get your set back at this point unless Cosetta can work her magic. Hansen must have just listed those dimes as I looked to see if it was listed and it wasn't as of a few hrs ago.

The 1957-D 8FB pop (1/0) was on eBay for just over $10K and the listing ended due to the coin is not available any longer, so I wonder if he will add that one too. If he does, that is an overwhelming price for that dime.

Where's @wondercoin I thought he would have posted with his wisdom by now? B)

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2017 2:14PM

Prices have moved up over the last 60 days. The last coin I added to my set was a pop 1/0 MS68FB and I paid $9K for the coin. There was a 1959D MS68FB on ebay that that quickly got scooped up too.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Paul. I want to comment on this thread and Nick's post in detail, but I am still out of the country and just have not had the time to do so. So, at this point, let me just comment about the seller of the set. Nick has been the Ambassador of Roosevelt Dimes for the better part of two decades now and knows the coins better than anyone. But, even more than that, Nick is the consummate gentleman and a pleasure to work with. He's a businessman, and in a good way, and knows what is reasonable and what is unreasonable to have to do to get a deal completed. I wish everyone I work with could be like Nick and he is a great model for me to also try to be a better trading partner in all of the deals I am personally involved in. Thanks again Nick for giving me the opportunity to sell your World Class Silver Dime Set (now for the second time this Century!).

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

As for demand, really nice coins are bringing stiff money. Quality and eye appeal are everything as far as pricing.

• Options
    BSABSA Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Congrats Nick, guess it's time to start building the next set.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations and I'm happy to hear you say that you're continuing.
    Best of luck with the clads and varieties.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2017 9:02PM

Congrats to you on the sale, and to all other parties involved. Best of luck with the clads.

Love the blue 53!

• Options

@Pokeplayer101 said:
    Congratulations Nick. It was a great set and you did a splendid job finding the right coins for the set. I have not been active with roosies long enough to know the answer to this but, does selling this set mean that you will be inactive with roosies? Or does this mean that you will be looking forward to creating a new more eye-appealing roosie set?

I will continue to be active in Roosies. I now have a lot of holes to fill putting back together my variety Roosie set.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, Nick, and best wishes!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. Fantastic accomplishment.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 9:00PM

Nick,
    Thank you for allowing me into your world even if for just a short stay. The awesome 1951 NGC graded MS-68FB + later graded NGC-69FB which is a blue brother to the 1953 dime shown here was the most spectacular Roosie I ever saw and you allowed me to buy it from you and then later you bought it back for a crazier guy than even me.

But in the meantime I really enjoyed being on the fringe of your madness which was madness like a fox!!!

But you had a great ride in the meantime and look forward more of your adventures!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

This is the Finale thread. The torch has been handed off to Del Loy Hansen.

• Options

"This is the Finale thread. The torch has been handed off to Del Loy Hansen."

We have uttered those words many times before. He has a wonderful set - no question. But, there are PLENTY of amazing dimes "growing up" right now in their "toning beds" so to speak. Watch what the next (10) years brings!

And, is any Roosie set complete without a 75 NO S Dime? Rough math ... that one coin is worth around 2x the price of every coin in the top silver Roosie set combined!!

Just my 10 cents worth.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

I assume “toning beds” refers to the the ungraded millions of uncirculated silver coins hanging out for 50 - 75 years in mint sets, albums, rolls, etc. ;)

• Options

I'm putting together a dansco album with all original blast white roosies. We'll see what happens in the next 10-15yrs. :)

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Paul,

Make sure they all have full bands

• Options

@onlyroosies said:
    Paul,

Make sure they all have full bands

I plan on putting only the finest FB Roosies I can find in this album. Cracking some 7FB NGC and if warranted some PCGS slabs along with some raws from shows. It should be a fun time.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Stooge... you need to crack the 68FB coins. ;).

Wondercoin

• Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    I'm putting together a dansco album with all original blast white roosies. We'll see what happens in the next 10-15yrs. :)

In 15 years, you will need to get them certified because might not be blast white anymore :o

• Options

Very interesting site

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing set and congrat's on the sale.