Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help grading a Buffalo nickel

I've a slug of coins going to PCGS early next week and I've been scrounging around looking for anything else that might be worthwhile submitting and I found this 27-S Buffalo. I really don't know my Buffalo nickels well enough to say if there's a reasonable chance this guy could pull an EF or not, which would be my cut off on submitting. My gut thinks VF but scrolling thru Ebay and other sites looking at graded 27-S's and they seem to not look all that different from this pup, which has got me wondering...

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, VF-something, perhaps a 30.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with VF30 or 35. Also, what is going on behind the Indian's neck? Is that toning or some metal being pushed around?

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭

It would likely not straight grade due to laminations.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weak strike AU50.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vf30

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fine money.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the 30-35 assessment... If you do send it in, please let us know what it grades... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

If those aren't laminations, send it in. It's a cheap lesson for all of us, using your money. lol.

These are such a mixed bag, I'd really like to know what PCGS thinks.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    TequilaDaveTequilaDave Posts: 271 ✭✭✭

@shorecoll said:
    If those aren't laminations, send it in. It's a cheap lesson for all of us, using your money. lol.

These are such a mixed bag, I'd really like to know what PCGS thinks.

To be honest, I am still contemplating submitting it, especially given some of the "XF's" I've seen floating around in PCGS slabs. That said, I'm not altogether convinced the lamination issue (and yeah, I'm pretty certain it is lamination) would prevent it from being graded. While I know NGC often details such issues, I thought PCGS didn't. A quick Ebay search using the words PCGS and lamination show plenty of graded lamination error coins. Some attributed, some not. Has things changed at PCGS or ?

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on the severity and location of the lamination, and what kind of mood the graders are in.
    I think your coin straight grades.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes you should get a vf 20 or 25 or 30, hard to tell which one. I would go with vf20.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Telemarketer AU53.

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Borderline between VF and EF. My guess would be VF-30 or 35. But you never know...

• Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2017 6:06PM

I'll opt for better than VF. Seriously, check out some of the 27-S pieces that have run through Heritage. Unlike many issues, it doesn't take the tip of that horn to go XF. So, I'll be an outlier and Mr. Sunshine, and vote for XF.40

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is an XF coin in the Heritage weekly auction with detail that is no better than this one. I think the TPGs have gotten pretty generous with grades the past few years on this series in the VF-XF range. So yeah, you might get a 40 out of it, and I have no idea if the lamination will cause a details grade or not.

• Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

I'd also point out that the obverse shows minimal wear for a VF piece. Details are pretty sharp. If I were offered this piece for low VF money, I might pounce and resell for $90. That is how you get to try the new Grand Mac w fries and a Coke for cheap!

• Options
    YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Weak strike AU50.

Stop.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Judging from the wear on the Buffalo's hip, it's an AU coin. The horn will be a little weak because the head was softly struck due to poor metal displacement. (Look at the top feather on the Indian, it's weak).

The inside feather is partially missing from abrading, but the entire coin comes out looking real good for a San Francisco strike in 1927.

The date is also a little shallow, which is unusual.

I like it. Believe it or not, 1927-D was struck worse as a whole

Pete (My humble opinion)

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a coin like that ever ends up in a major TPG holder with an AU grade ...

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file