Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Variety searching eBay, Cherrypicking, and success

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have put considerable time, resources, and energy into scouring eBay for variety nickels.
As my success rate starts to soar I'm now wondering a few things...

If I find them with frequency and accuracy, is this my refined skills or are these rare varieties no so rare?

How many cherrys do you pick of the same variety, amassing duplicates or more?

Do you get bored scoring the same variety after a few times?

I have collected as many as 40 of some more common varieties, and 2-4 of others. The collector in me says keep buying, would you?

Where is that fuzzy line between collecting/investing/hoarding?

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 2:55PM

For me it really varies. I will find several in one day or week then none for a month. I don't keep dups. I try to sell those.

I do however continue to upgrade when I can.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 10:47PM

I picked so far 2 1999 Close AM's and 1 1998 Close AM. All three had profited me a good chunk! I'll continue to hunt these down until the premium goes way down or when they run dry. My favorite to Cherry. <3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

If you do this you do need to keep in mind some sellers still use generic images. Also, it is not fair to the seller if you buy something in which doesn't turn out to be what you thought is was, so keep your mistakes and don't send them back. Don't treat the sellers on ebay as an approval service, as you try to pick coins, even if they offer refunds.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all cherries are worth picking.... Depends on the value... If you have found multiple (20-30) of one type, it is likely a common one and without significant premium. That is not to say that cherry picking is not worth the effort... finding some nice, big, sweet cherries can make the day, week, month and year... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will find out quickly what is actually rare and what isn't. I used to spend a lot of time cherrypicking eBay, in a couple of cases I had personally purchased more examples of a given variety than the CPG rarity rating said existed. After a while I would leave some cherries for others to pick, and only chased upgrades.

Once you get good at spotting varieties from pictures, picking on eBay can be a very fruitful pastime. I can count on one hand with fingers to spare the varieties I set out to find and didn't eventually land.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

the flea as I call eBay has been really good to me over the past 3 years or so
    1) uncirculated 1913 type one 3 & 1/2 legged buffalo nickel, die # 2, a discovery coin.
    2) 1913 type one matte proof buff bought as unc.
    3) 1915 matte proof buff bought as unc.
    4) 1916 matte proof buff bought as unc.
    5) 1936 satin finish buff bought as unc.
    Keep looking and learning, and you never know what may show up on the flea.
    The more you look or spot check your favorite series the better chance you have to find something good.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sean said it all, but I will add, the true scarcity of a variety is learned from observation. You know in your gut what is rare and what is not. Every variety collector who plays the registry game eventually wants to sherd the weighted point values PCGS has established and make them more realistic.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file