Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Baltimore Report

messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you didn't spot me at the show on Thursday, it's because I wasn't there. I was at the Mayrland Historic Society photographing coins and medals from the Washington Monument time capsules. Two time capsules were buried, one in 1815 for the groundbreaking, and one in 1915 for the centennial. Both are on exhibit at the museum. YN Garrett Ziss put together a crew and arranged for these coins to be taken off exhibit so they could be studied and photographed for an upcoming article. The 1815 time capsule had all circulating coins of the day, half cent through eagle, as well as a couple medals. These had been individually wrapped in paper, labeled, and put in a jar with another newspaper, and sealed with a cork and wax. As you can imagine, the gold fared the best in this environment. The silver coins were quite dark and had non-reflective, slate-like surfaces. The copper was (surprisingly) in better shape than the silver, although they had acquired a gray color. The cent (1812) was essentially flawless if not for the fact that it was a silvery color. It had unbroken luster on both sides, nicer on the reverse, and no nasty marks. The 1915 time capsule was a copper box that had been soldered shut. It contained cent through dollar and half eagle. These coins fared much better. The quarter was the nicest, being the only uncirculated coin of the bunch. The reverse was mostly brilliant and untoned. Papers that had been put in the box were also in perfect condition.

By the time we were finished with everything, I only would have had time to stop at the show for a couple minutes before heading to the airport, so I walked down the street to the Washington Monument, did the obligatory climb to the top, then called for my ride when I got down. Of course, the time I spent at the airport waiting for a delayed flight could have afforded me a leisurely visit to the bourse.

I'm not sure what the timeline is for the publication of the article.

Comments

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds much more interesting than looking a row after row of the same stuff! Wonderful opportunity to do a little time travel.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

neat! can you let us know when the article is published?

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 8:36AM

Where's the pic from the top of the monument JB? Is it open now. Hasn't it been closed to tourists for a while.

And have you guys heard of the new Revolutionary War museum opening soon. They have Washington's original battlefield tent on display. What a piece of pure American history!

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@CascadeChris said:
    Where's the pic from the top of the monument JB? Is it open now. Hasn't it been closed to tourists for a while.

This is the original Washington Monument in Baltimore. Here's their website. Go to the Digital Exhibit page and there's a good interactive exhibit and tour of the monument that also shows the cornerstone and the 1915 time capsule.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll look for the article on the time capsule images of coins, etc.. Were they in good shape?

• Options

The condition of the 1815-buried coins, not taking environmental damage into account, ranged from Fine, for an 1803 half dime, to mid- to high-MS for the 1812 cent. The gold coins were XF-AU, with the eagle being a really nice AU. The 1915 coins ranged from a VF 1914 Buffalo to a mid-MS grade 1915 Barber quarter. The cent, dime, half, and dollar were all AU. None of these coins would have problems being graded as problem-free. The half eagle was also AU, maybe a bit shiny, but would probably also grade. The images will appear in the article before anywhere else.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds like a far more awesome thing to do.

IF you do end up at the show, tell John and Paul at the ANACS table that Christian says hello.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

John ..... Looking forward to see the images from the time-capsules.

Chat soon.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, very interesting stuff :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for this interesting report.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

opening a time capsule from that period seems like a LOT of fun.

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool report...but thread is useless without pictures. :'(

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2017 7:26PM

@JJSingleton said:
    Very cool report...but thread is useless without pictures. :'(

There are some pictures in this Baltimore Sun article

Messydesk is the unnamed "coin photographer" [Edit - he is named in the captions]

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Some of the coins could be worth more than $1,000"

That's a huge underestimation I bet. The provenance alone should add a mega premium. Nice article!

JB, did you get this kid a membership to the SSDC and tell him to join the fun at VW?

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice that you were able to document something so important.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool thanks for sharing!!!

• Options

@CascadeChris said:
    "Some of the coins could be worth more than $1,000"

That's a huge underestimation I bet. The provenance alone should add a mega premium. Nice article!

The museum (any museum, really) is very coy about stating what something is worth. In addition to the security issues surrounding doing so, there's also the issue of telegraphing the possibility of monetizing part of a collection to a bean counter.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never knew of this monument. Thanks for the interesting history.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for a very interesting report. I always wanted to be present at a cornerstone opening... never happened.....yet.... Worked in a few older buildings too, but either they did not have a cornerstone, or it had been previously removed. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file