Home U.S. Coin Forum

1839 O Grading Question 50 Cent ---how nice an AU ???

VernoVerno Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

All-
I have a 1839- O half in a AU details holder for cleaning...still way nicer than most that I have seen...
What AU level of wear do you think it is 50? 53? 55?
Thanks for taking a look and opining!
Regards,
RJ

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 7:10AM

It looks to have AU-58 sharpness, but that's hypothetical because the AU grades are highly dependent upon the amount of mint luster that is left on the coin. Since this coin has been improperly cleaned, the luster has been impaired which makes it impossible for the coin to qualify as an AU-58.

BTW it looks to me that the obverse is probably the problem side. The reverse looks fine. Given the huge difference between the two sides, it's almost like looking at two different coins.

And yes this is a nice coin despite the cleaning problems.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Bill, and I agree with you in that I have seen a lot worse in straight graded holders, of course it is tough to tell from a photo. That coin, in that condition is still a nice puppy.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without the cleaning it looks 55-58 details.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • VernoVerno Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the feedback....tough time figuring what to ask for the coin.....

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU-55 Cleaned.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

55 is about right to me

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never figured out the "Cleaning Discount" either. Sometimes, people run away like they are diseased, and you can't seem to give them away....sometimes, they sell for a 5% discount.

I think the rarity helps, and makes it easier to forgive the cleaning.

Shoot high, and see what happens. ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the rarity helps, and makes it easier to forgive the cleaning.

For some very rare items, cleaned or messed up is all there is .

I almost always stay away from "details" coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an advantage of Anacs and Icg which do an AU 53-58 on top of the problem grade, I guess there would be no point of doing that with Unc. details coins.

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my PCGS AU-55 CAC. Notice the mint luster. Hope this helps.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

55, in my opinion, and pleasing, despite the cleaning. That 55 CAC is terrific, stman!

Tom

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 12:24PM

....tough time figuring what to ask for the coin.....

I'd start out asking a bunch for it - that's a nice coin and in high demand regardless.
    Might almost be worth cracking out and submitting to another service, or walking it around a major show and see what kind of offers you get.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • HCumberdaleHCumberdale Posts: 46 ✭✭✭

GR-1, R-1 variety for what it's worth. As is yours stman.

I love this issue, and have 4 examples.

• VernoVerno Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

The coin is much nicer in hand and much nicer than most with good eye appeal.

stman, thanks for sharing yours...obviously a great coin and not "played with"!

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

I think the obverse has AU 50 details. The coin over all though has a choice eye appeal and it is hard to judge by a picture how much strike played a role in the weaker details on the obverse.
    Overall I would guess either AU-53 or Au-55. Depends on luster in hand. Congrats. That is one of the coins on my short list, but i will never get one so fine.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 55 to me. Nice coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file