Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is considered to be the first true slab?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ANA started authenticating/ grading but not slabbing in the 1970s. Paramount slabbed Redfield Dollars in either the late 1970s or early 1980s. What other companies produced actual graded/authenticated/sealed hard plastic slabs prior to PCGS entry into the market in 1986? When did they start doing so?

All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 1:11PM

The U.S. Mint had Hard SMS split cases in 1966 & 1967...although they could be opened easily...just FYI

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't remember who but I think it was an overseas company credited with creating the first modern slab.

The more you VAM..
  • Options

For the purposes of this thread, the slabs must not be the type that can be easily opened and resealed.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

ACG.

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 2:13PM

I think the GSA slabs could be considered the first slab that separated coins by grade. First issued in 1972, GSA Morgans were separated into three groups: uncirculated (fully lustrous and not toned), not fully lustrous or toned, or circulated (soft packs). All GSA coins were sealed (sonically welded).

"Uncirculated"

Not uncirculated (look carefully at the date) ;)

Circulated

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 2:19PM

It's an interesting topic. I can see the GSAs being what we in 2017 would call the first "slab". Clear plastic, front and back visible, grade & denomination given, and originating from an authority whose opinion is arguably respected.

Not to derail, but CRO has in its archives an ancestor of the modern slab that I think is pretty interesting:

http://www.coinraritiesonline.com/index.php?page=archive&task=det_item&item_id=3660

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

A-Mark purchased the Redfield Hoard in January of 1976, and distributed the coins through Paramount and other companies later that year.
    I was working in the Editorial Department at Coin World up until late 1978, and we kept referring to it as the "Redfield Hoard" in print. Every time we did, we would get a polite letter (actual paper!) from Paramount asking us to please refer to it as the "Redfield Collection" as they referred to it in their many ads in Coin World. We politely ignored the request.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sonic welding was invented in 1965 but it really caught on with mfgs in the late 70's and early 80's.

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

SAGSE (South African Gold and Silver Exchange) slabbed - true, sonic sealed slabs - Krugerands starting in 74 or 75. They also used their own grading scale which went over 100.

You occasionally see these show up on eBay.

The first US Patent for a sonic sealed coin case is the Accugrade one, which is https://www.google.com/patents/US4878579

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

When did capitol holders come on the market??

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

@PTVETTER said:
    When did capitol holders come on the market??

Good question ... probably sometime in the 1950s. They were not the only company to make such holders. Another brand, the name of which escapes me, has rounded rather than pointed corners. In any case, the Capitol style holders wouldn't count as slabs because they are held together by screws and are not sonic sealed.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

True slab= higher markup with third party packaging and grading . I would think Littleton would have won the award.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Accugrade would be my guess.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this was discussed years ago here... and if I recall correctly, the conclusion was Accugrade as Al mentioned.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that Alan Hager used to claim that accugrade was the first to slab coins

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been told by Alan Hager that he was the first to encapsulate and grade coins.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

SAGSE slabs date to 1975. Well before Accugrade started in 1984.

Never-the-less, as I pointed out above, the 1st US Patent is the Accugrade photoslab.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file