Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best way to CAC

NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
edited March 30, 2017 10:13AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello great numismatists,

1. Whats the best and most inexpensive way to CAC submissions? (Average joe, no dealer)
  2. Is this worth the CAC?

3. My own photos, is this good / professional enough?

Numismatics & Photography
rv@ravenumismatics.com
Instagram.com/coin2photo

Comments

• Options
    TequilaDaveTequilaDave Posts: 271 ✭✭✭

I've always waited until I had at least 5 + coins to submit to help defray that cost of shipping. As for the coin itself, judging from the photo and assuming it's a fair representation of the coin in-hand, I'd say you have a shot at the bean. However, the jump between a 64 RB and a 65 RB is only ~$100 so I'm not sure if this is the right coin to submit, IMO, since after the cost of shipping both ways and the cost of a review will pretty much eat up any potential profit a bean may impart on this coin.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed on sending in more that five coins to help distribute the shipping...or tag along with an existing member.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Numiven said:
    Hello great numismatists,

1. Whats the best and most inexpensive way to CAC submissions? (Average joe, no dealer)
    2. Is this worth the CAC?

3. My own photos, is this good / professional enough?

1. Join. As a non-dealer, rejected coins won't be charged. If you can't wait to join, see if a non-dealer will submit for you.
    2. "Worth" is something YOU have to decide. what are your goals for CACing it? Experience? Learning? Selling the coin? If selling, will it sell for substantially more WITH a green (not even thinking gold) sticker? I've submitted coins, in with large groups of coins, just for fun and learning. Amount they would be worth selling WITH a green sticker vs without a sticker is minimal....but I gained more knowledge seeing some that DID sticker vs some that did NOT sticker.
    3. Your photo is very nice. It does look like the reverse may have gotten more direct lighting, but the photos are crisp and nice and IF they represent the coin in-hand, then you are good to go.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Delete this post asap so that it does not degenerate into yet another CAC good vs CAC bad tool sharpening convention.
    2. Never again volunteer on which side of the fence you reside. Or that there is a fence. Or the CAC exists.
    3. Print off an application from the website and send it in. I did even though they were not officially accepting new members and after about 4 months I was accepted. In the meantime, find a fellow collector who will submit for you for reasons stated above.
    4. I try to send in 20 at a time to ease the impact of shipping on the overall cost, so I would say send it no less than 5, but the more the better.
    5. Decide if you would be happier with the coin if it had a CAC sticker. If yes, send it in. Please yourself, it is your hobby.
    6. I wish you good results!!!
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Instead of spending hard earned cash on CAC simply crack-out and resubmit other services coins to PCGS.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't seem to be a coin where a sticker is necessary. Anyone who likes the coin would purchase it w/o a sticker.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 5:57PM

I send in everything I own to CAC - cheap, expensive, the cheap ones whether they bean or not does not matter for value, but that is not the point, the point is to see what CAC thinks and learn from that. Not surprisingly, my success rate has gone up over time simply because of how much I learned form the cheap ones, and that, of course allows me to make better decisions on the pricey ones. Worth every penny I have spent on shipping, and when they bean, the cost of the sticker.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:
    Doesn't seem to be a coin where a sticker is necessary. Anyone who likes the coin would purchase it w/o a sticker.

I admire your optimism. Some segments of the collecting community wouldn't touch it without a sticker.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pictures... and a nice IHC... To bean or not to bean? That is the question.... Well, not to wax philosophically or butcher Shakespeare... that really is your decision... figure out your motives and cost relative to not submitting...that will help you decide... Good advice above.. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file