Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What to do with old circ Jefferson nickels?

Many years ago I inherited about 50 lbs worth of old circulated Jefferson nickels and have been lugging them around with me for nearly 35 yrs (less the war nickels, which were culled many years ago). I've considered just taking them to a bank and depositing them but somehow it just feels wrong. Do people collect circ Jeff's or should I just bite the bullet and take them to the bank?

Comments

• Options
    EldoEsqEldoEsq Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

I have a ton of these also...just pre-1960 stuff that I always salted away. They are probably worth about a nickel each unless some better dates are in there...

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check the holding for '50-D,'39 D&S,38 D&S and spend the rest.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put them on ebay as a buy now , maybe someone will grab them to search through for varieties. Listings are free

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

rolls of circulated 39-D and 50-D have been selling in the $150 - $200 range (40 coins BIN)

If you have no desire to search them all for varieties and keys
    I would sell them by 5 pound lots and ship in a small flat rate box

a variety like 1939 DDR, is pretty easy to get $25 for.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have for a long time made starter sets for family and friends kids that had any interest in the hobby, years ago a B&M near me would saved all the used blue Whitman folders he had coming in the door for me instead of trashing them. You might want to contact any B&M's around you or coin clubs if you want FV and see if they are interested, there are a lot of options, evean if you take them to the bank, I'm sure some will filter into some excited hands.

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could always donate some to Young Numismatists. There are usually requests for donations at just about every major coin show.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

General location? I'm a sucker for all nickels, especially pre 1960. I have bags of these.
    Note that the copper content is up there in nickels. Should copper prices skyrocket, the "melt" would be over 0.05 again.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The few that I have , I have been spending :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The circulated Jefferson market has been dead for decades. Separate out any key or semi-key dates and cash in the rest at the bank. This is a market that probably isn't coming back.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

"You could always donate some to Young Numismatists."

Whenever questions about what to do with circulated Jeffersons, Lincolns, Buffalos, etc. come up, there always seem to be many comments from board members here, reminiscing about collecting such coins from circulation when they were younger. Unfortunately, today such circulation finds are all but impossible to locate, making this important and enjoyable part of the hobby an impossibility for young collectors. The suggestion by oih82w8 would seem an elegant solution. There must be local coin clubs in your area who would love to have mixed, unsearched lots of your Jeffersons to give to YN's, to help get them started in the hobby. Or your state numismatic association, or the ANA might be eager to receive such lots for YN's. Give the next generation of collectors a chance to find some interesting coins, at a modest cost to you.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put them on the BST with a lot price.... they will sell quickly. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file