Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone else watch the NJ Coppers at Stacks last night?

Stacks auctioned off the Dr. Gordon Shaw collection of NJ Coppers last night. Though not a complete collection of varieties, most were represented in the 143 coins auctioned. The bidding was furious, my guess would be that the average number of bids per coins was 25. It took over 3 hours just to auction 143 coins, quite a change from the usual auction pace. I was fortunate enough to obtain one the coins with Maris provenance, which was my goal. A very nice mid-grade 1787 Maris 48-F. I picked up 5 total, but I had a hard time competing with the Uber-NJ nerds, LOL! Fun to participate in and very educational. I know Stacks gets its share fare of flack around here, but I thought they did a nice job with the auction. https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-6Y2MU

BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!

Comments

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. I think that's Mr. Ed's great great grandfather (dating myself).

In any other series, almost all would bodybag, but in this series, they are beautiful. Lol.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

I agree about the condition issue, it's a crazy series to get into. Approx. 144 die varieties in just 3 years is kind of mind boggling. The TPG's don't really know what to do with them either.

BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you think NJ colonials are bad, try understanding how to grade Vermont coppers... :s

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

DCW,

At the risk of perhaps being an Uber-NJ Nerd, the Maris 48-f you acquired was actually quite exceptional coin for the variety and given the Maris, Garrett, Picker provenance, I thought it was one of the bargains of the Auction.

And if you want to have real fun some colonial coin sleuthing, research the history of how Picker came by the group of Marris/Garrett New Jersey Coppers in his subsequent Auction.

VERY nice acquisition.

Best,

Nova Caesarea

• Options

Also, great clashing :-).

Best

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.... these old coppers just have a certain magic about them....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Sorry (shouldn't post too late at night), I meant those for okiedude! Great acquisition. Just a tad shy of the top 6 Condition census.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1786 25-S that my grandmother who lived in New Jersey her whole life gave me when I was a kid. I am curious what the 25-S will go for in the auction. I am amazed that coins this rare are not worth more. They seem like a really cool series to collect with pretty reasonable prices considering the rarity of some of the coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file