Home U.S. Coin Forum

Let's talk Scarface, Gentlemen....and not the wimpy 1888-O variety.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 29, 2017 9:47PM in U.S. Coin Forum

In today's mail!

Comments

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 9:49PM

Ah, yes, the bludgeoned liberty variety.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder what the strike thru object was, perhaps a chunk of wood?

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...first thought was what Odai Hussein looked like a couple hours after he ate a tow missle ;)

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! That would make Al Capone cringe...

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nasty ... looks like she was hit with a log.... Seriously, it does look like it may have been a wood chip... but still interesting how some of the hair detail came through in the cavity.... Cheers, RickO

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks more like a delam to me.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with LNOCC -

It's a lamination, imo

(I'm from the 60's, where everyone
    used the term 'lamination' - although
    I concede delamination might be more
    accurate (?), like 'clipped planchet' vrs.
    'incomplete planchet', I'm going to call it a Lamination)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

edited March 30, 2017 8:41AM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    looks more like a delam to me.

Seems like a very good call Ricko, Lance and Fred. Detail in the affected hair area is rather ragged and one would expect a smoother imprint from a strike thru.

Wonder if I can get it "HAC'd"

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meat cleaver result.....oh my!

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    I agree with LNOCC -

It's a lamination, imo

(I'm from the 60's, where everyone
    used the term 'lamination' - although
    I concede delamination might be more
    accurate (?), like 'clipped planchet' vrs.
    'incomplete planchet', I'm going to call it a Lamination)

i probably have something to do with the whole (de)lamination thing.

sometimes i get a little sticky on how certain words are used, just a peculiarity of mine.

either way it is worded, we all know what it is referring to whom know about errors.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Laminations in rolled plate or strip are formed when blowholes or internal fissures are not fused
    during rolling, but are enlarged and flattened into sometimes quite large areas of horizontal discontinuities"

I would agree that it was a lamination, and subsequent processes (circulation/handling) removed the "scab" from the surface, resulting in the appearance of a strike-through...I have been wrong before.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...

I'll stick my neck out here that neither lamination or delamination is the proper term. Lamination is a specific form of manufacture of layered surfaces. To delaminate, part of the constructed layer or layers would have to separate. As this is not clad coinage, there is no original planchet lamination to separate.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 10:25AM

@Coinstartled said:
    I'll stick my neck out here that neither lamination or delamination is the proper term. Lamination is a specific form of manufacture of layered surfaces. To delaminate, part of the constructed layer or layers would have to separate. As this is not clad coinage, there is no original planchet lamination to separate.

So, you are saying that 90% Silver and 10% Copper of this and all Mogan Dollars is a homogenous mixture and layered?

Even with the 90% silver layer, there can be discontinuities (gas holes) within the material, which can cause laminations.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
    edited March 30, 2017 10:39AM

I am suggesting that unlike clad coinage, the 90% silver Morgan planchet is not laminated. I understand the gas holes but differentiate the action from an outer clad layer separating.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats different

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file