Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

We will soon be slabbing slabs.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to the article, the 1.2 gen. ran for 3 1/2 years. Shouldn't be that rare should it? What am I missing?

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 6:29PM

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    According to the article, the 1.2 gen. ran for 3 1/2 years. Shouldn't be that rare should it? What am I missing?

I believe that early ASE's in rattlers are rare since this is when rattlers were used at PCGS and slabbing bullion didn't become a "thing" till the late 2000's. I think the people who were missing something were the bidders...their brains. As long as they're happy I guess that is all that matters. :)

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 7:08PM

http://www.greatcollections.com/CoinPrices/25/Silver-Eagles?cmd=price_go&q=1987&series=89&sort=02

In that same GC auction there is an NGC MS70 that sold for $743. I like the rattler MS69 better ($1155) than that one. And I don't think it's close. There's also a PCGS MS70 which brought $968 and looks pretty close to flawless...better than the NGC 70. The regular PCGS MS69s in that same auction seem to show fairly obvious flaws/stains/etc. If just may be that someone bought the rattler because it's potentially equivalent to current PCGS MS70's. Hard to tell what light scuffs or lines are on the plastic...and hopefully not the coin.

Considering there are only 49 PCGS MS70's vs nearly 15,000 MS69's, it's not exactly easy to make one of these. And the price realized is in line to what a MS70 could be worth ($900-$2000). Would appear at least 2 bidders thought so. I doubt they were buying "just" the rattler. The coin had to be believable as MS70 to fetch approx $1,000.

By July 1989 only 43 of the 1887 ASE's had been slabbed. Not much interest there after 3 years of slabbing and over $1 MILL coins graded. And only 3 of them were graded MS69. The grading curve is much different today with MS69 as the most populated grade by a factor of 12X over MS68. Back then it was MS67-68 as the "normal" grade of a mint fresh ASE. So it is a fact it was only approx 1 of 3 slabbed before the rattlers were replaced. So there's potential in both the slab being an "R-8" or "high R-7" and the MS70 grade too imo. But I'm no player in this area....just commenting on what might be there.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are men. Unpredictable , throughout history. They are coins. Likewise: unpredictable in the future market. I admit that it stumps me more often than not. Our hobby, that is.

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:
    http://www.greatcollections.com/CoinPrices/25/Silver-Eagles?cmd=price_go&q=1987&series=89&sort=02

In that same GC auction there is an NGC MS70 that sold for $743. I like the rattler MS69 better ($1155). And I don't think it's close. The regular PCGS MS69s in that same seem to show fairly obvious flaws/stains/etc. If just may be that someone bought the rattler because it's potentially equivalent or better to current MS70's. Maybe Wondercoin can chime in. Maybe he was the buyer.

I was watching this "It's Time" Collection of 20th Century Rattlers expecting to win one or two of the 12 or so FB mercury dimes in rattlers that were ending on Sunday, but many of them sold for 2x-3x grey sheet so I backed off. Good for the cosigner and Ian...

http://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/424900/1945-S-Mercury-Dime-Micro-S-PCGS-MS-66-OGH-1st-Gen

http://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/424886/1943-Mercury-Dime-PCGS-MS-65-OGH-1st-Gen

http://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/424855/1936-D-Mercury-Dime-PCGS-MS-65-OGH-1st-Gen

• JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o I don't really know what to say so I'll just say...

Congrats to both the seller and the buyer.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

edited March 29, 2017 7:00PM

2 of those rattler 65's look pretty good to me....good MS67 candidates. And the standards for Full Bands back then was much stricter too. It would not be uncommon to see a MS65 "no band" rattler with a good strike jump to MS67 FB today. The Micro-S looks to be the best one as a likely 67 and maybe even a shot at FB....though I'm not a fan of the current FSB standards.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisRx said:

And bullion to boot.

edited March 30, 2017 5:08PM

Everyone is welcome to start submitting their rolls of 1987 ASE's to shoot for MS70's. Since only about 1 coin out of 300 makes the grade, you'll be paying something like $600-$3,000 in fees to "profit" on making a single $1,000 coin.

Fwiw 3 bidders were on this coin to the $450 level. Just 2 took it from there to over $1,000.

• TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:

In that same GC auction there is an NGC MS70 that sold for $743. I like the rattler MS69 better ($1155) than that one. And I don't think it's close. There's also a PCGS MS70 which brought $968 and looks pretty close to flawless...better than the NGC 70. The regular PCGS MS69s in that same auction seem to show fairly obvious flaws/stains/etc. If just may be that someone bought the rattler because it's potentially equivalent to current PCGS MS70's. Hard to tell what light scuffs or lines are on the plastic...and hopefully not the coin.

Considering there are only 49 PCGS MS70's vs nearly 15,000 MS69's, it's not exactly easy to make one of these. And the price realized is in line to what a MS70 could be worth ($900-$2000). Would appear at least 2 bidders thought so. I doubt they were buying "just" the rattler. The coin had to be believable as MS70 to fetch approx $1,000.

By July 1989 only 43 of the 1887 ASE's had been slabbed. Not much interest there after 3 years of slabbing and over $1 MILL coins graded. And only 3 of them were graded MS69. The grading curve is much different today with MS69 as the most populated grade by a factor of 12X over MS68. Back then it was MS67-68 as the "normal" grade of a mint fresh ASE. So it is a fact it was only approx 1 of 3 slabbed before the rattlers were replaced. So there's potential in both the slab being an "R-8" or "high R-7" and the MS70 grade too imo. But I'm no player in this area....just commenting on what might be there.

I can well remember when getting a 69 grade was great, of coarse everyone dreamed of a perfect "70" graded coin from PCGS. Granted minting technology has come a long way since then, and many look at a 69 grade now as worse than a plain ungraded mint issue package. And with some of the beautiful packaging over the past few years I tend to prefer not slabbing these sets that make the Beauty of the coins stand out, one of the best examples is the 2016 Gold Walking Liberty Half Dollar.
    Maybe PCGS could develop Special Capsules that could still fit the original display case, maybe a Crystal Capsule with Micro Laser Engraver with the grade and other information that could be easily viewed with a 5x loop?
    David Hall or other PCGS Management care to chime in?
    A whole new technology for the times?
    I'm in for that, it might cost a few bucks but imagine the value of a Crystal protected coin verses a piece of plastic?

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:
    Everyone is welcoming to start submitting their rolls of 1987 ASE's to shoot for MS70's. Since only about 1 coin out of 300 makes the grade, you'll be paying something like $600-$3,000 in fees to "profit" on making a single $1,000 coin.

Fwiw 3 bidders were on this coin to the $450 level. Just 2 took it from there to over $1,000.

Better to buy a PCGS 70.... wonder if winning bidder pays up the $1,000 for a $60 ASE

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisRx said:

Or silly green stickers.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:

I don't know if I have ever heard anyone call a slab a potential R-8. That cracks me up. :p

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy, am I glad no one told me it was being offered! :D

And yes, there are R8 and unique slab/coin combos, even with samples.

I prefer this one from the 1st year of slabbing by PCGS - courtesy of the blue chevy guy.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing.... not sure if the fever was stoked by the slab or the potential upgrade.... Either way, I sure hope the winner is happy....too bad they are not a member here so we could understand the motivation... That is a heck of a price to pay for an ASE.... Now, if it were a '95W.... that would be different. Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see paying $100, but that would be it for me.

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 1:30PM

I bought this complete set and felt that the bands were not there on a significant portion.

• EzmoneyEzmoney Posts: 149 ✭✭✭✭

Ugly old rattlers.... here's a group that I'm getting ready crack and dip.

• JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ezmoney said:
    Ugly old rattlers.... here's a group that I'm getting ready crack and dip.

Excellent plan. Lots of good upgrades there once they have a bath. :D

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

edited March 30, 2017 5:11PM

Use full strength on that dip solution to ensure you get all those nasty florescent green and magenta tones removed. You can't see the luster with that stuff on there. o:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file