Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Freakishly frosty 1924 Peace dollar, dies used WAY too long

IwogIwog Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Some people like these. I bought it because it had freakishly frosty luster for a peace dollar and it also illustrates what heavily frosted or matte surfaces look like on a coin. Very different appearance from oxidized surfaces which may appear just as granulated, however lack any kind of cartwheel luster.

Anyway everything is mushy, ill defined, and heavily frosted which is what happens when a die gets too worn out and should be replaced. I am absolutely NOT going to confirm that this coin will be for sale on ebay anytime soon.

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert

Comments

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one. They can come with that matte type frostyness that has Good eye appeal but that one does seem a step above average mixed with the orange peel fields.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not think that this coin is high end for a 1924. Devices may be " frosty" and that will help the value. Probably not a collector coin as there are too many issues, and high grades examples commonaly exist in this date.

OINK

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1924-P Peace Dollar has the best luster of the entire series, in my opinion. A lot of them do come from worn dies, and I think the resulting orange peel look is appealing. This is a very nice example.

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saw your last note about eBay. PM me if you are thinking of doing that.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

PEACE seems to have been abraded off the reverse.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

The orange peel looked more like rusted die.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grip said:
    The orange peel looked more like rusted die.

Rusted dies are more of a pimpled look. JMHO.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat coin...thanks for posting!

K

ANA LM
  • Options

@jerseycat101 said:
    Just saw your last note about eBay. PM me if you are thinking of doing that.

Well if I ever was going to sell it, I CERTAINLY wouldn't talk about it here. I would immediately post it to the BST board as per rules and regulations.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    PEACE seems to have been abraded off the reverse.

Those letters are shallow and can "hide" in pics quite easily at the slightest angle

The more you VAM..
  • Options

Good catch.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the look and agree with the late die state assessment. Detail is a bit mushy on the lettering and devices. This one looks like it's maybe a slider due to breaks on the feather tips and cheek, but sometimes the TPGs will ignore this and assign an MS grade. In-hand, the luster on some of these is really amazing.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    This one looks like it's maybe a slider due to breaks on the feather tips and cheek,

I think it's an easy MS grade actually. That rub you're talking about is from bag life and is present on almost all Peace and Morgan dollars in plastic. It's just a lot harder to see on a coin with brilliant surfaces.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 3:07PM

You might be right. My understanding of "slider" is that the term includes a great many coins that can fall to either side of the AU/MS line depending on the day. In my opinion, many, many Peace dollars in MS holders (especially up to about MS63) do show a bit of wear. In fact it's virtually impossible to find a Peace dollar at any grade without at least a bit of high-point friction somewhere. As long as this stuff doesn't extend into the fields, MS is usually the call, and for purposes of market grading, I have no real issue with that.

It's a lot easier to tell the difference between a gentle frost-break (usually forgiven) and friction rub in-hand. If there area areas of smooth wear on the high points with loss of surface texture I'd be inclined to say AU. If it's just superficial loss of frostiness (sorry, I have no better terms to use) it will be called MS.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

May go 63.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be a 63....I would say 62 based on pictures..... Would like to see it in hand... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file