Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What part of the Whitman Baltimore bourse should Master Longacre start at (new to collecting)?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

Sometimes the best education is not learned in the classroom. Rather, one must experience the real world in order to understand how things work.

On Friday, your very own Longacre may allow his son, Master Longacre, age 12, to attend the Whitman Baltimore show.
I figure this will be a good teaching moment outside of the classroom, and allow Master Longacre to experience the world of high finance, how to run a profitable business on razor thin margins, how to effectively negotiate sales such that buyers and the dealers walk away feeling good, getting good value for the dollar, witness my selling my duplicates back to dealers at Obscene Profits™, experiencing the fine dining available just steps off the bourse in the lobby, and viewing some of the most easy-going businessmen and business women in action, creating an inclusive atmosphere on the bourse where everyone is a winner.

As such, as Longacre is rubbing elbows at the Elite end the bourse and greeting his fans (but please don’t approach unless you speak with one of my bodyguards first), he may send Master Longacre off with some of his personnel to peer into the Less Elite sections of the bourse.

If I were to do that, are there any “must visit” tables that have coins that a young Master Longacre, who is not necessarily a collector yet, would be interested in looking at? He has a strong interest in non-US coins, which is not the focus of Baltimore, but perhaps there is a dealer or two who may have things like this. On the US coin front, he tends to like anything “old” and unusual. Lastly, he seems to also have an affinity for paper currency (the horror), particularly non-US issues.

Any thoughts?

Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options

@Dentuck said:
    I would be remiss if I didn't heartily recommend that you tuck a few crisp C-notes into the young man's tender paw and send him off to the Whitman Publishing display. "Buy the book before the obscenely expensive coin," and all that.

Dentuck will be in Baltimore for a whirlwind 24 hours, starting with an exclusive private dinner with QDB tonight at an undisclosed restaurant, whereat the urgent issues of the day will be discussed, questions answered, and problems solved. This will be followed by an immersion in and around the bourse, starting at 6:00 tomorrow morning, before the pre-pre-show opens, meeting with excessively important hobby personages, eating the finest mustard-glazed convention-center pretzels, and then back to the corporate blimp-pad to begin the 36-hour zeppelin ride back to Atlanta.

Other than my beloved QDB, I was going to insist that Master Longacre make it a point to meet Dentuck, the publishing magnate. It isn't often that he will get to meet such excessive important Whitman Personalities(TM) in one place, but it looks like it's not to be. :'(

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 10:59AM

Just remember to instruct him that in polite company "Budget Section" is pronounced with the 't' in "Budget" silent, with the stress on the 'e'.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ensure that Master Longacre does judge the book by its cover. That is, a dealer with Grey Poupon stains is eminently superior to one with plain old Gulden's.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should send him to each of the TPGS tables to see if one of the graders/authenticators there could give him some tips (wait 'til there are no customers at the table).

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

Coin Rarities Online always has some cool foreign stuff to see, and some if it is beyond the means of us working class collectors, and some if quite affordable:

http://www.coinraritiesonline.com/images/thumbs/1686-kv00916.JPG

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Young Master Longacre would do well to peruse the stock of Allen G. Berman, Numismatist (booth 1131). His Royal Highness, the King of Bermania, may be inclined to acquiesce to Requests to view His vast Holdings of Coins from the Whole World.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stop by #818 for a selection of Chinese gold. Have a great show!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please ensure that young Master includes his perceptions in a brief show report (can be included as part of your eminently insightful comments). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take him to lair of one CVM, if he yawns at copper disks, drag him quickly to the kingdom of Dick Osburn, if he sneers at the halves of silver...smack him across the room and flee.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    EldoEsqEldoEsq Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

While I am not esteemed royalty like Longacre and clan, my 9yo and myself will be there to hopefully pick up some pennies from the floor...first show ever for my plebian seed...

• Options

@EldoEsq said:
    While I am not esteemed royalty like Longacre and clan, my 9yo and myself will be there to hopefully pick up some pennies from the floor...first show ever for my plebian seed...

It's a great show. Hope you can find some pennies among the rose petals that are sprinkled about as Longacre makes his way throughout the bourse.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

we know not the Master Longacre's boozhay...

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shorecoll said:
    Take him to lair of one CVM, if he yawns at copper disks, drag him quickly to the kingdom of Dick Osburn, if he sneers at the halves of silver...smack him across the room and flee...............

................as the child may not be of your loin.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go to this show if they had a pad for my helicopters carrying me and my entourage to land on.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

In addition to the coins, I'm sure that he'll enjoy the fossil table - my kids love it.

I hope that you both have a great time!!

Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file