Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC Authenticates New 50c Kennedy Variety

F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Hello Everyone,

Not sure if this has been posted as the search features are a bit more difficult for me now. I apologize in advance if this is a repeat. But for my fellow Kennedy collectors, this is pretty cool news. It appears that it is a mint mark variety for the 1968-S Half is now recognized by NGC . Any news is good news as I love this series. Time to search if you may have one :)

The link to the article is below

http://www.coinnews.net/2017/03/24/ngc-authenticates-new-50c-kennedy-variety/

Best Regards,

-Stevo

Beware of the flying monkeys!
Aerospace Structures Engineer

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it might be an inverted MM over a normal MM too.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, we spent a lot of time discussing that one. It is very interesting, and I am quite surprised that it took this long to be discovered.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very B) Hmmm?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I must add that to the list of 'snow day' things to check... :D ... Not likely I have one.....but could get lucky. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Until the CPG recognizes it...PCGS won't. Agreed, it does appear to be inverted.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see that NGC doesn't charge the reholder fee like PCGS does on a coin that is attributed and already in a NGC holder.

PCGS could take a lesson here!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    Until the CPG recognizes it...PCGS won't. Agreed, it does appear to be inverted.

Not necessarily. They might put it in a "minor variety" holder with a V prefix on the coin number (V6804.67/serialno). Also, if Bill Fivaz has seen it and thinks it's neat, chances are it'll end up in the CPG.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@oih82w8 said:

Not necessarily. They might put it in a "minor variety" holder with a V prefix on the coin number (V6804.67/serialno). Also, if Bill Fivaz has seen it and thinks it's neat, chances are it'll end up in the CPG.

Bill was one of the people in the roundtable. I would say it has a good chance of making the CPG.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 9:05AM

@CaptHenway said:

@messydesk said:

@oih82w8 said:

Bill was one of the people in the roundtable. I would say it has a good chance of making the CPG.

What is MOST interesting about the mintmark is that the Typical "S" Mintmark has a Serif on the top of the S and a Ball at the bottom of the S.

This one appears to have a serif at both ends!

PCGS has only 20 of the Inverted MM graded which, IMO, is an indicator of rarity and this particular MM could easily be confused as an Inverted Mintmark.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoever named it "Knob S" was quite precise. On the top of the S, there appears to be just that, a knob. As to the inverted S Variety, it is missing that knob. Clearly two different varieties. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the education :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

Now I have to go back and check all my Kennedy's again?! Yay! What fun! So, any bets on what kind of premium this variety might hold? Of course, mine are all circulated, so even if I have one, it's prolly not gonna amount to anything. But, will be fun to look at them, and hope!

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Checked my '68S Kennedy's.... no luck... :'( However, I found a sheet of Proof Kennedy's I forgot I had.... was still in a box I had not opened since my cross country move in 2008. Found treasures... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

That is very cool. Who knows what else is still out there waiting to be discovered!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's great that new varieties are still being discovered after all these years...like the 1919 DDO Mercury Dime.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Nothing here either. But like Ricko, got a pleasant surprise when I found a whole bunch of proof kennedy's I had forgotten about. Thanks!

Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file