Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Value question on 1954D German mark

NGC, on their World Coin and Price guide (purportedly KM values) lists the 1954-D German mark at approx. $100 in XF. I saw 2 on eBay; one buy it now at $45 and one BIN at $3.50, both seemed to be in XF condition. Googled and found almost nothing for sale in that date and mint mark.
Does anyone have a handle on what the real value might be in XF?

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I checked heritage sold listings and eBay neither had any sold, so I think it is going to be hard to find an accurate price.

Maybe someone with a Krause book can see what they have for a price posted for this coin.

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2017 6:00PM

I go wrapped up in guide values when i first started. They are extremely over rated. It depends on several things

1. The market.
    2. How many collectors for that series.
    3. Condition rarity ect.
    4. How many available and the cost.

Following a price guide can easily lead to disappoint and a loss of money depending what you spent.

Current auction house sales and online sales ebay ect. Will give you a better idea than a price guide.

The ngc guide is severely outdated for values on world coins.

If selling that cheap online with no buyers its not looking good for your coin.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

I know a couple of serious collectors of German Empire to current. Both have said that KM prices are way too high. As though the catalogue is off by a couple of columns.

They've also said that the grading scale in Germany is much more strict than the US scale. Example Extra Fine in Germany is more like AU55 in US.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

Catalog prices for older German federal coins are way too high. They don't come near the KM values until you get to high MS grades, like 66 and above. A collector in Germany informed me they can still be acquired for the euro equivalent of face value even in UNC grades.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭

Thanks folks-your info confirms my suspicions.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Krause values for the early 1 Mark coins are very high. It is true that some German collector's will pay a lot for high grade examples. On this particular series, it gets it wrong about which grades the values start going up.

This series is also seriously under collected in the US. It can be very tough to find a buyer even if you do have something good.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me