Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Free is great! New dime collection

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 28, 2017 3:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

In December I inherited two circulated rolls of Mercury dimes. They were among many saved by my Grandfather from change. He told my grandmother that when you find a dime in meant someone in Heaven what thinking of you.
Today I visited my local coin store and gave, as a gift, the new Dan Carr Peace dollar token to my dealer. While there I inquired after old leftover used dansco books and was gifted these (a Mercury book and Liberty book. I plugged holes with the rolls and this is what I've got...

Yay free stuff!!!

Comments

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

Interesting on the dime thing. My grandmother told me that her mother said the same. She would always pull them out of the till at the grocery store and balance out of pocket. I was gifted a few cigar tubes when grandpa died, and threw this guy together back in I dunno 86?

I used some AG to plug holes. I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet. I'd love to fill it, heck at this point probably just sell it to a good home. Just been sitting for 30 years, and I believe I replaced the book in the mid 90s.

They look much better in a real light.

Nice to see another winged liberty lover. What a kind gesture of you and by the gentleman.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's how I started. ;) Look out the bug will bite you.

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a good start! have fun!

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool story, Rocco! Looks like you have a nice start.

Boy that blue Whitman folder with Mercury dimes is a blast from the past for me....
    I completed all but the 21D and 16D back in junior high (early '70's), then broke it up to
    start my walker collection.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

I have a circulated mercury dime set in a dansco album and love it.
    Enjoy them as they will bring you much pleasure.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice start on a great series.... always liked the Mercs.... Have a few slabbed beauties... and some raw ones from circulation... several 1919's.... no DDO's.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story as usual @Aspie_Rocco :smile::smile::smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

That design, like the Walking Liberty, still looks decent even in circulated condition. Have fun filling those holes!
    Pete

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm..........I may have to pursue these in the future, they look really fun

Steve

Promote the Hobby

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file