Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2015 P Homestead Quarter DDO

I kept seeing articles on 2015 P quarters having lots of errors. On the Homestead coin I always was looking for the double die on the reverse but in checking my change tonight, I have one that is on the obverse. Doubling in the mint mark, "In God We Trust", "Quarter Dollar" and ever so slightly in "Liberty". I do not have a decent setup yet so these photos are not the best but I will get my other camera and take more. Just wanted to get it out here to make folks aware.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like shelf or ejection doubling....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptMorgansCaptMorgans Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

I agree it is machine doubled.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like machine doubling to me as well. jmo

• Options

Im New to the coin world and would like to know what the rules are that stipulates actual doubling ..i have a 1987 quarter that looks like double die obverse on god we trust but dont know for sure .any help would be appreciated .

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

New collectors need to spend some time educating themselves on what doubling is, or is not. The issue has been discussed endlessly on the forum - just use the search button.

I will say what I have always said: most new collectors seem to approach a search for doubled dies backwards - they look at all coins for what appears to be doubling. What they should be doing instead is doing a little research and finding out what dates/mintmarks have known doubled dies, and then search for those. Any potential doubled dies can then be compared to pictures of known varieties to see if they are an exact match.

If you blindly search coins for signs of "doubling" you will waste a ton of time and end up with a pile of coins that have worthless machine (or mechanical or ejection) doubling. On the other hand, if you focus on known dates with documented features you can search through an enormous amount of coins in a short period of time.

Just a little personal advice with no offense to anyone intended. Take it or not at your discretion.....

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

JBK - thanks for putting the Cart Before the Horse !

Well said - and likely to be ignored.........

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file