Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How would you ship this.

tizofthetizofthe Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Looking for the most secure way to cover myself in case of loss.
Shipping a 100oz silver bar. Value approx 1900.00.
USPS with insurance wants 40.00. dang thats a big part of my profit

Transactions..
wondercoin, duffman,PiecesOfMe, Smittys, LogPotato, Bumanchu, Tydye, segoja, Harry779, FullCameo, Twosidestoeverycoin, jmdm1194, rkfish, drewsef, Chrischampeo, Kaelasdad, Ahrensdad, Dabigkahuna, Barbwire, sebrown, mkman123, Gerard

Comments

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

FedEx with adult signature.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:
    FedEx with adult signature.

fedex nor ups insure bullion

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

private insurance will be required for a cheaper option.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would put it in a flat rate small box or envelope of it doesn't fit in the box but heavily tape the edges of the envelope with shipping tape then the brown tape for registered and ship the box USPS registered mail. Total cost with $1900 insurance would be about $25-30. I do it all the time for packages over $1k.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registered Mail in a Medium flat Rate box is 31.25. That's across the country.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark, you beat me to it.
    Lance.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Box it up, tape it very well, throw it in another box slightly larger with some bubble wrap around it and tape well. Make sure nothing jostles around. A bad center of gravity will pop 100oz right out of the box.

Eat the insurance, you gotta do it. When I shipped big silver (small town), the postmaster would let me take pictures of it with shipping label.

If you guys ever do UPS, triple box it. You wouldn't believe me if I told you how badly "smalls" would get thrown around. They sometimes literally end up in piles falling all over each other and frequently kicked back into the piles if they strayed. I'd never ship anything of value UPS or FedEx. Drivers will drop heavy smalls they don't care. USPS does.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pack it well (box in a box) and insure it yourself.

In spite of all their overhead insurance companies make a lot of money.
    Lance.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djm said:
    Registered Mail in a Medium flat Rate box is 31.25. That's across the country.

This. And USPS will honor insurance for bullion when it is sent registered.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to ship 9 100 oz bars to apmex, the day it hit 48.50 and oz . Nervous as a cat on a hot plate. I took each bar, packed it tightly in a small flate rate box, then put each of thoses boxes in a large flat rate.

Anyway, fit it securely in a flat rate small, then place in a larger size priority box (flat rate medium)and packing tight so it don't slide around, tape good, and secure it good. Insurance is costly, but if you don't have private, wing it and take the chance or pay the extra.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

registered mail, uninsured, small flat rate box.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

JMO Yes I've known people that handle packages for the BIG companies, there is no respect for the boxes :smile:
    Again, just my opinion and not geared towards any specific package company :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

"USPS with insurance wants 40.00. dang thats a big part of my profit"
    Shipping should have been expected and added to price.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    @justacommeman said:
    In a Magnum condom box

@lkeigwin said:
    Mark, you beat me to it.
    Lance.

Its how I would ship my Johnson or Engelhard

mark

I just wish I could get to the empty box part!

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 oz prevention and 98 oz silver.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used insurepost,com in the past for about $1.05 per $100.00. Never had to file a claim so.......... Anyway, they had good reviews when I used them.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tizofthe said:
    Looking for the most secure way to cover myself in case of loss.
    Shipping a 100oz silver bar. Value approx 1900.00.
    USPS with insurance wants 40.00. dang thats a big part of my profit

Ship saver will insure the value for $15.01. That would put the cost at almost half of the quoted amount if you use a flat rate priority box.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    @justacommeman said:
    In a Magnum condom box

@lkeigwin said:
    Mark, you beat me to it.
    Lance.

mark

I think your best option would be to hand deliver a Johnson.

As stated earlier, some companies can be rough when handling your package.

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

USPS Registered using a small flat rate box.

• Options

@Wingsrule said:

even though the 100 oz may fit in a small priority box there's a good chance it will get dropped more than once due to the unexpected weight. Pay the few extra bucks for medium flat rate knowing the box will not burst open during handling.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pack it securely inside two boxes, then into a larger third box with major cushion securing it. Then ship registered, USPS. No further insurance. It will get there slowly, but it will get there. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@CascadeChris said:
    I would put it in a flat rate small box or envelope of it doesn't fit in the box but heavily tape the edges of the envelope with shipping tape then the brown tape for registered and ship the box USPS registered mail. Total cost with $1900 insurance would be about $25-30. I do it all the time for packages over $1k.

You can't use flat rate envelopes for registered because the ink stamp smears. If you cover it with brown tape make sure that the words flat rate envelope aren't covered.

• Options

@derryb said:

@Wingsrule said:

even though the 100 oz may fit in a small priority box there's a good chance it will get dropped more than once due to the unexpected weight. Pay the few extra bucks for medium flat rate knowing the box will not burst open during handling.

Or use a regional rate box. Generally, registered mail gets better handling.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do box in box (put in small priority and put that in the middle of a medium priority and surround with empty small priority boxes0. Registered as regular will not pay on bullion insurance.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Per the Domestic Mail Manual, chapter 609, para. 4.0(m.): "Except for Registered Mail, the maximum indemnity for negotiable items (defined as instruments that can be converted to cash without resort to forgery), currency, or bullion, is $15.00."

• Options

Whatever you decide to do, make sure it's in a prophylactic box.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2017 7:38PM

Small Flat Rate Priority box inside a bubble padded Flat Rate Priority envelope. With fiber reinforced strapping tape around both length and width. The $7.10 postage allows plenty of room for Postal insurance fee. You can generate a Click 'n Ship Priority shipping label and select the option to leave the postage/insurance cost off of the label.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coindeuce said:
    Small Flat Rate Priority box inside a padded Flat Flat Rate Priority envelope. With fiber reinforced strapping tape around both length and width. The $7.10 postage allows plenty of room for Postal insurance fee. You can generate a Click 'n Ship Priority shipping label and select the option to leave the postage/insurance cost off of the label.

I fully agree I have shipped 100 ozt bars a number of times with this

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

@derryb said:
    Per the Domestic Mail Manual, chapter 609, para. 4.0(m.): "Except for Registered Mail, the maximum indemnity for negotiable items (defined as instruments that can be converted to cash without resort to forgery), currency, or bullion, is $15.00."

A silver bar could be defined as an object of art.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    edited March 28, 2017 8:02PM

@coindeuce said:
    Small Flat Rate Priority box inside a bubble padded Flat Rate Priority envelope. With fiber reinforced strapping tape around both length and width. The $7.10 postage allows plenty of room for Postal insurance fee. You can generate a Click 'n Ship Priority shipping label and select the option to leave the postage/insurance cost off of the label.

USPS will not honor an insurance claim for bullion unless it is sent registered mail. The weight of the bar would require a registered shipment to go Priority Registered mail. Since this is the case, shipper should take advantage of flat rate priority box discount. Also, note that a padded envelope cannot be the outer wrapper for a registered shipment.

• Options

@coindeuce said:

Does the USPS allow you to use priority packaging like this? If they wanted to get snarky they could say that the inner box must be the primary addressed shipping container.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can always use ship and insure!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2017 8:32PM

@mannie gray said:

@Justacommeman said:
    @justacommeman said:
    In a Magnum condom box

@lkeigwin said:
    Mark, you beat me to it.
    Lance.

mark

I think your best option would be to hand deliver a Johnson.

As stated earlier, some companies can be rough when handling your package.

But some like it rough :/ . I married a girl with GI Joe Kung Fu grip for example. But your advise is surely warranted.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Anyone know the best way to ship a 100kg coin?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:
    Anyone know the best way to ship a 100kg coin?

sure, cut it up into more manageable pieces.....no prob!

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2017 9:11PM

@BAJJERFAN said:

@coindeuce said:

Does the USPS allow you to use priority packaging like this? If they wanted to get snarky they could say that the inner box must be the primary addressed shipping container.

No, they can't. If the inner box is also addressed, they have to deliver it even if they have to deliver it with postage due. (Assuming the very long shot circumstance that the bubble padded envelope were to be accidentally torn / cut / burst open far enough for the box to fall out.)
    Unless the package was being misused for other than the intended purpose of the preprinted package, it ain't a violation of the DMM regs. Use the combination frequently for $500+ coins and never have had any objection by a clerk.

@PerryHall - like I stated, a silver bar can be claimed as an object of art, but insuring a bullion bar through private carriers is cheaper anyways.

• Options

@PTVETTER said:
    You can always use ship and insure!

That would be the way to go if you ship a lot of packages, or at least enough to break even on your initial membership cost. IIRC their insurance is about a fourth of the USPS rate and they insure bullion.

• Options
    edited March 28, 2017 9:54PM

@coindeuce said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@coindeuce said:

No, they can't. If the inner box is also addressed, they have to deliver it even if they have to deliver it with postage due. (Assuming the very long shot circumstance that the bubble padded envelope were to be accidentally torn / cut / burst open far enough for the box to fall out.)

At one point in my life we saw 4 or 5 of those a day during peak UPS season. The difference is we don't have to do anything about it. USPS will have to deliver an addressed box in a busted mailer. You get UPS's "nah man sorry" phone number. But by then most of the handlers stole it or it fell in trash cans or run over. I always address a box in a box when I ship. Postal I do two and private carrier three.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 5:07AM

Does anyone write "CAUTION---MACHINE PARTS" or something similar on the box to make the postal worker think that's why it's so heavy and that it's something that's not worth stealing since it's not something that'll be easy to fence?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@coindeuce said:

Dirty little secret: You can fit two small flat rate boxes inside a padded flat rate envelope.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Does anyone write "CAUTION---MACHINE PARTS" or something similar on the box to make the postal worker think that's why it's so heavy and that it's something that's not worth stealing since it's not something that'll be easy to fence?

Wheel weights.

• Options

@messydesk said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@coindeuce said:

Dirty little secret: You can fit two small flat rate boxes inside a padded flat rate envelope.

True and IIRC you can get 6 or so into a medium flat rate box. Also smoe of the boxes that the mint ships stuff in can fit 2 into a padded envelope.

The few times I have done it, I don't recall always addressing any inner packages.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Seems like an obvious attempt at a diversion. It'd be more subtle to include "Tool and Die" in the business name in the return address.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@PerryHall said:

Wheel weights.

A few years back I had the good fortune to obtain a hoard of Care and Blue Ribbon. When I shipped each bottle, I followed the DMM regs and marked the package for the Class of Hazardous material. The first few times I shipped, the clerks acted like they were accepting bio-hazard.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about marking the box with "Stool Samples"? :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Find a local buyer and hand-deliver.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

OP should ship in a prophylactic box. You'll really make someone wonder who uses the ones the size of 100oz bars.

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Find someone local to buy it. ;)

Paul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file