Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2 Coins from the NGC cross-over special

Both crossed, I took advantage of getting them into PCGS plastic.

1869-BB Greece 5 Lepta PCGS AU58BN
1869-YB Peru Sol Arabic 1 PCGS MS62 (and dare I say, REALLY nice for the assigned grade)

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

The famous llama crest variety, very nice

• Options

Wow, I never would have guessed that sol only graded at 62, very attractive piece!

"A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money." - W. C. Fields
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

@RTScott1978 said:
    Wow, I never would have guessed that sol only graded at 62, very attractive piece!

I hear 'ya...These are typically seen in NGC holders and this one would likely grade in the MS63 / MS64 range at NGC (depending on the day). Having put so many World coins in PCGS plastic, I would say the grading disparity between PCGS and NGC on World coins is even greater than US Coins. PCGS is often 2 points lower on World coins and sometimes more (I had an NGC MS66 coin grade PCGS MS63, no joke!). But right now there is no pricing disparity on World coins (e.g. PCGS and NGC sells for the same money)...so the are tremendous deals to be had on PCGS World coins since they would grade 1-3 points higher at NGC (again, just MHO).

• Options

@mercurydimeguy said:

@RTScott1978 said:

I hear 'ya...These are typically seen in NGC holders and this one would likely grade in the MS63 / MS64 range at NGC (depending on the day). Having put so many World coins in PCGS plastic, I would say the grading disparity between PCGS and NGC on World coins is even greater than US Coins. PCGS is often 2 points lower on World coins and sometimes more (I had an NGC MS66 coin grade PCGS MS63, no joke!). But right now there is no pricing disparity on World coins (e.g. PCGS and NGC sells for the same money)...so the are tremendous deals to be had on PCGS World coins since they would grade 1-3 points higher at NGC (again, just MHO).

A 66 down to a 63! :o

I do have one experience with PCGS when a coin was knocked down a couple grades, but was unaware that sort of outcome was actually common.

• Options

@RTScott1978 Not the best image (below), but it was in the super old, small soap bar style NGC holder (like ages old), and looks really pristine. I figured OK, PCGS would knock it down to a 65, didn't matter (the color was stunning)...came back a 63 :o

• Options

Here's another one...NGC MS62 (really PQ at that), came back PCGS AU55.

• Options

@mercurydimeguy Truly stunning, both the appeal of those two and that they were bumped down that severely. I'm trying to find any justification, but simply can't. Might you have a theory as to why this happens?

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RTScott1978 said:

It is rightfully graded 62 - while this example has really nice EA, you cant ignore the surface chatter, and the multiple rim dings..

As for the 66 Kreuzer, the EA is cool - but I gotta admit that was so far from a 66 that NGC is probably grateful it crossed. Had you posted it raw I bet the top grades would be 63-64..

The Russian 1859 Poltina graded by our hosts as a 55 is downright insulting - it is a lock 62 and should have remained as such. NGC was right on the money here, and yes the obverse is pristine for the grade.

Lessons here? I have been realizing this alot lately.,,both are equal, worth the same in their respective holder, mess up, and both play the same games...jmho on this all.

• Options

Marc, regarding the Poltina, I almost thought it was a mechanical error when I had it graded back in 2015, to be honest, and still might be. I might send it back but would have to pay grading fees again as I probably can't send it back for "mechanical" because I don't agree with the grade ;)

Regarding the other two coins --

MS65 Sol's have the same rim issues, it's the idiosyncrasy of the specific coin/issue...While I don't think that is specifically what makes a 62 for this specific coin, I'm ok with it in a 62 PCGS holder.

Regarding the 1K, here's an MS67...it has similar rim issues as the colorful one, and some device hits, plus some PVC. I know because I also own this coin.

My overall gut feel/intuition says that PCGS doesn't see nearly as many Wold coins (I've personally made a boatload of Pop 1 total coins) and not as adept at grading them so the Beta on PCGS World grading is probably higher than NGC...I have no proof of this, just my own eyes and gut feel.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 67 you just posted above is spot on....nothing horrible in device hits...it looks the grade..you gotta keep the pvc in check :|

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mercurydimeguy I agree PCGS is tight on Sols. I actively collect them and I have several PCGS top pop coins (61/62) that would be 64's at NGC...good for our host that their TruViews are leaps and bounds better than ATS.

• Options
    edited March 28, 2017 5:41PM

PC53....this was another head scratcher.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 1:31PM

@mercurydimeguy said:
    PC53....this was another head scratcher.

Why is that a head scratcher? Clearly AU -- circulation on the obverse legs and high points of reverse design. Hard to tell what the fields actually look like from the awful PCGS photos, but it's not UNC.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-