Home Precious Metals
Options

Modern AGE's - what denomination to buy ?

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 24, 2017 5:28AM in Precious Metals

As far as AGE's go, I'm wondering peoples thoughts on what denominations to buy and why that denomination.
1oz, 1/2, 1/4, 1/10 ??

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

We usually call the "Gold ASE's" AGE's. As the size gets smaller the % premium over melt increases so buy the largest size that you can afford.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

I caught that thanks. I kept wondering why I was typing 'gold' infront of it.
    Thanks, yes the premiums on 1/10 oz are a lot.
    When selling are premiums also different depending on size ?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

Yes. The buy back premium is higher on the smaller AGE gold coins but if your goal is to get as much gold for your money as possible stick with the largest size that you can afford. Based on numerous past threads the 1/4 oz size seems to be popular.

• Options
    Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

I enjoy a nice mix of these. I have 100 of the 1/10ths, 16 of the 1/4ths, 2 of the 1/2's and a single 1 oz. I have upped my previous goal of 20 total oz to 25 total oz now because i'd like to do a mix of 100, 20, 10, 5. If you are worried strictly about the gold vs the premiums, then there are much more efficient ways to accumulate gold than AGE's.

• Options
    edited March 24, 2017 6:10AM

I had thought about 10x1/10, 4x1/4, 2x1/2, 1x1. Just seems like even numbers :smile:
    Thanks both for your thoughts :smile:
    PS how do you keep the 10ths, in tubes ?`

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the 1 oz. size.... I do have a five dollar Indian though...but that is because I think it is a beautiful coin...not part of my stack.....For liquidity, a mix is probably good, though selling gold is rarely a problem. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

quarter ouncers work best for resell. keep them in individual airtite capsules

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    I had thought about 10x1/10, 4x1/4, 2x1/2, 1x1. Just seems like even numbers :smile:
    Thanks both for your thoughts :smile:
    PS how do you keep the 10ths, in tubes ?`

No tubes, no airtites. They stay in a baggie.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put them either in tubes or staple up flips. All the sizes have their advantages. :)

• Options

I keep mine in non-PVC Mylar flips which are easy to handle, inexpensive, and protect the coins from contact marks. You can put two coins in one flip---one in each pocket or you can use a flip for a single coin and use the second pocket to hold a cardboard square with purchase information---price paid, weight/denomination, purchase date, person who sold it to you, etc.

• Options

Thanks all :smile:

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2017 8:16AM

Depends on your finances. If you need to save up to buy, and if you might need to access part of that money in the near term, buying a one ounce coin might not be the best option. When it comes time to sell, you'll have to sell the entire ounce even if you only need a few hundred dollars.

If you're buying 5 or 10 ounces as part of your long term portfolio, that ability to sell a smaller lot may not matter as much. And it's pretty convenient to be able to keep track in one ounce increments. Premiums are usually smaller on full ounce coins, too, but if you really shop you can find smaller coins for low premiums.

I love the 1/4 ounce eagles. But I have a good mix of larger and smaller for the reasons I mentioned. I like being able to move small quantities, I like buying at low premiums.

Tubes and flips are super cheap storage options. It's harder to sell banged up bullion. Spending a nickel on a non-PVC flip to protect a $1200 coin is a no-brainer.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can afford it, 1 ounce is the way to go in my opinion.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the heavy metal baggie, Geckster!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Yes. The buy back premium is higher on the smaller AGE gold coins but if your goal is to get as much gold for your money as possible stick with the largest size that you can afford. Based on numerous past threads the 1/4 oz size seems to be popular.

Based on production figures, one ounce are very popular.

• Options

@Geckster109 said:
    I enjoy a nice mix of these. I have 100 of the 1/10ths, 16 of the 1/4ths, 2 of the 1/2's and a single 1 oz. I have upped my previous goal of 20 total oz to 25 total oz now because i'd like to do a mix of 100, 20, 10, 5. If you are worried strictly about the gold vs the premiums, then there are much more efficient ways to accumulate gold than AGE's.

Efficiency is somewhat irrelevant IMO unless one is buying in quantity.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

Unless you don't know what you are doing, you will never pay as much of a premium on a common, well known 1oz bar as you will on a common 1oz AGE. That was my point about "efficiency".

• Options

@Weiss said:

Tubes and flips are super cheap storage options. It's harder to sell banged up bullion. Spending a nickel on a non-PVC flip to protect a $1200 coin is a no-brainer.

It is VERY difficult to really "bang up" .9167 AGE's. Unless you sit there and actually try to mark them up, or do something silly like use them to make golden waterfalls, or roll them across your floor like dice....flips are totally not needed. A few years ago, I kept 80 of the 1/4 oz AGE's in a baggie (just like above) and took them out and put them back numerous times. When I sold off the bulk of that collection, there wasn't a single bag mark visible to the naked eye. And among the 4-5 different dealers in which I sold them to, not a single one louped any of the coins anyway.

• Options
    SangoSango Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

I like the fulls and quarter ounce sizes best

But I would also like to have a roll of the 1/10ths one day

• Options

@Geckster109 said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Unless you don't know what you are doing, you will never pay as much of a premium on a common, well known 1oz bar as you will on a common 1oz AGE. That was my point about "efficiency".

If one is astute and careful, one can buy AGEs for about what normal premiums would be for bars and rounds and when selling, you'll almost always always get that back.

• Options

@Weiss said:
    Depends on your finances. If you need to save up to buy, and if you might need to access part of that money in the near term, buying a one ounce coin might not be the best option. When it comes time to sell, you'll have to sell the entire ounce even if you only need a few hundred dollars.

If you're buying 5 or 10 ounces as part of your long term portfolio, that ability to sell a smaller lot may not matter as much. And it's pretty convenient to be able to keep track in one ounce increments. Premiums are usually smaller on full ounce coins, too, but if you really shop you can find smaller coins for low premiums.

I love the 1/4 ounce eagles. But I have a good mix of larger and smaller for the reasons I mentioned. I like being able to move small quantities, I like buying at low premiums.

This.

Of course a lot depends upon what venue you have to sell into.

• Options
    creekdaltoncreekdalton Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

I have an equal number of 1 oz and 1/2 ounce, a little over twice as many 1/4 oz, and only five 1/10 oz. The 1/4 oz. seems to be the easiest for me to afford on a semi-regular basis.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your looking for gold to stack, there are better coins than US for getting as close to melt as possible.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@creekdalton said:
    The 1/4 oz. seems to be the easiest for me to afford on a semi-regular basis.

Then it makes perfect sense to stack those.

• Options

Thanks everyone for your experienced advice :smile:
    Many things to consider. :smile:

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the end, Boston, you can't go wrong with the American gold eagle in almost any denomination as it is easy to sell and easy to find...

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, I will add just a bit to what folks have said above as well....since I have just started getting into some gold recently.

If you are buying AGEs, it is VERY true that the smallest premiums are on the larger (1oz) ones. That said, IF you get the ebay promotions and IF there are any that aren't in the bullion section (where you don't get ebay bucks), then you may get a better deal on smaller sizes. It's worth checking out.

Reason I say this is that they max out at $100 ebucks per any single transaction. So, if the promotion is 8-10%, a single 1oz AGE will be priced over $1300 right now (likely $1360+ in non-bullion) so, you only get the $100 per that transaction. Sometimes, if you can find them as a good deal, the smaller denoms can net you more on the ebucks that, combined to equal 1 ounce, may be a better deal. Iffy, but sometimes.

That all said, Apmex has a special on ebay (in bullion, so no ebucks) for $1278 ($33 over spot)) right now.
    I wanted to stack some, but I wanted sub-$1200 :(

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't ask me why, but I have all denominations of AGEs except the 1 ozers. Instead, I got myself into Gold Buff 1 ozers. The Gold Buff Proofs are extremely attractive coins. As much as I like to stack bullion, I can't seem to get away from collecting a bit as well.

To Geckster's point of not being worried about the condition of the coins, I don't put any wear on my AGEs, but I do have some British Sovereigns, and I've used MS-70 to make them a little more presentable. I don't mind handling those coins, and just handling them is kinda neat. I think that people would appreciate what money really is if they encountered gold and silver coins from time to time.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.