Home U.S. Coin Forum

White ANACS compared to new PCGS

mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how an old white ANACS slab would cross to a new PCGS. Anyone had experience with this? Favorable results? Thanks for input!

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Comments

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old white ANACS holders are usually graded pretty accurate to todays standards. You might get an upgrade or two but I would not expect that very often. Crossing over at the same grade on the other hand, I would say the chances are good. I like those old white holders by the way, just because they are so compact and take up less space.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a double eagle (1927) in the old ANACS holder (black reverse hologram)...It looks properly graded... could possibly go one higher, (62-63).... Happy with it as is..... Cheers, RickO

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgandollar1878 said:
    The old white ANACS holders are usually graded pretty accurate to todays standards. You might get an upgrade or two but I would not expect that very often. Crossing over at the same grade on the other hand, I would say the chances are good. I like those old white holders by the way, just because they are so compact and take up less space.

Most don't know but the pre-ANACS 1st gen ANA label hotel-soap slabs are even slightly smaller

The more you VAM..
  • mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Just bought this ... was hoping it would upgrade.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2017 6:12AM

I have had mixed results with ANACS Old White Holders. Hopefully I will score on my latest acquisition.

I don't care for the tarnish around the rims...but some folks do.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

Hard to say. Proofs are almost impossible to grade from pictures. Hard to see the hairlines, dings etc....

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭

I stay away from old ANACS holders that start with 1. Circa early 2000's.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are two types of old, white ANACS holders; those from when ANACS was owned by the ANA and those after ANACS was sold to Amos Press. The ANA era slabs were conservatively graded and had many nice coins in them, but they stopped being issued around 1990, if I recall correctly. The remainder of the white slabs were issued up to at least 2000 and they are not held in nearly as high esteem for the quality of the coins or grading.

You have a later slab.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the input everyone!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file