Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Information on 1822 bust dime requested

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always wanted one of these tough key dates. Got my humble example some time ago. I have read reported mintages, and known survivors. But also read they might not be correct. Even at half the mintage, still seems like a lot for being called a key. Perhaps survivors are rare? I never do see many at all through the years. If you have one please feel free to post it.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options

Anybody?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both PCGS and NGC have certified populations. Unfortunately if they don't straight grade they don't get into the population figures usually unless an outside group does it.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a start - the basic online sources. I'm not an expert in this series, so I can't help beyond this.

"Ron Guth:
    The 1822 Dime is a very popular date because of its small mintage. However, this date is even rarer than its small mintage figure suggests because other dates (such as 1809 and 1811) have smaller mintages, yet collectors do not consider those dates as valuable as the 1822. A quick peek into the PCGS Population Report shows that PCGS has certified fewer 1822 Dimes than any other date in the series. In Mint State, no other Capped Bust Dime date is as rare as the 1822.
    Only one die variety (JR-1) comprises the entire Dime output of 1822.
    As already stated, Mint State 1822 Dimes are very rare, though they cover a range from MS62 to MS66.
    The best example is the PCGS MS66 from the D. Brent Pogue Collection."
    pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/4497

"Premium Gem 1822 Capped Bust Dime
    Scarce Issue, JR-1
    Tied for Finest Certified

1822 10C MS66 NGC. JR-1, R.4. The 1822 dime is the last single-year variety in the Capped Bust dimes, and it is also one of the key dates in the series. With the present lot, we offer what is likely one of the two finest known examples of this prized rarity in the Capped Bust series. It is quite likely that the listed mintage of 100,000 pieces struck in 1822 may include a large number of coins that were actually dated 1821, as Breen suggests. Experts generally conclude that approximately 300 pieces exist in all grades, putting the 1822 Bust dime in elite company as one of the most challenging issues of the denomination in the entire run of U.S. numismatics."
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/bust-dimes/1822-10c-ms66-ngc-jr-1-r4/a/1182-3756.s?hdnJumpToLot=1x=0&y=0

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great information in this thread! I always loved the 1809, 1811 and 1822 bust dimes.

• Options

Very nice

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭

Very very nice 1822 dime from Benson. I have none, alas and alack.

• Options

@stman

That is a great looking 22. Well done. That's exactly how I like them.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭

@stman said:
    Thanks for posting, all. My humble example and I really like it.

I can summarize your G04 example with one word, stman: "perfect."

• Options

I thought you had a mutt with fleas and here you trot out a beautiful purebred ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stman ...That is a nice old gal..... well traveled with lots of stories.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks for the good words on the coin as well. I usually show obv and rev but, I don't have a program to do that anymore. To put it on a background and merge the two.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah, where's the reverse?

• Options
    WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EastonCollection, Love the Benson 1822 Dime above! And Benson coins in general.

I bought two lots in the Benson sale, and wish I'd bought more. Great sale.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

What a great G04

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful 22s from stman and Easton! I wish I can find them like that...or rather AFFORD one like that.

jom

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy oh Boy - I enjoy threads like this- one of my favorite date is 1822 and i love dimes. The 1822 in Good has a terrific look.

Easton Collection
  • Options

Stman's coin is way better, because it's a "circam". ;)

• Options

@afford said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Here's mine. PCGS didn't straight grade it, but I like it. :)

Why don't you think they graded it?

probably called it cleaned

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

@stman said:
    Thanks for posting, all. My humble example and I really like it.

Nice cameo piece.

• Options

@afford said:
    My #1 favorite coin of all time:

I was waiting for this coin to show up. This is gorgeous and more likely to be the finest known. I never saw the coin in hand but the picture ranks it as one of the finest, if not the finest, hands down.
    Very impressive.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Genuine Fine Details (92 - Cleaned)

??????????

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@afford said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Why don't you think they graded it?

Yes, they detailed it 92. Completely bogus. The coin is just as nice in hand...should have graded. I've been told I should crack it out and lay it in a window for several years turning it ever so often and resubmit it. Maybe someday. I just hate playing that game.

• Options

Play the game, Dimeman, at least on this one. It will always come back no worse than the current holder

• Options

@Barndog said:
    Stman's coin is way better, because it's a "circam". ;)

You just had to go there. Heh

• Options

Great dimes in this thread.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

All 5 dimes shown so far are splendid coins in their respective grades. This is a rare issue that attracts attention in any grade, but when they coins have the eye appeal of these pieces they are particularly sought after. Well done guys.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

A tough coin to find in any condition. I am still looking for the right one for me.

• Options

I am thrilled to have the AU55 and still have it. I can't find a better one that i like to upgrade it.
    All the 1822 dimes posted are wonderful coins. congrats to all.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EastonCollection said:
    I am thrilled to have the AU55 and still have it. I can't find a better one that i like to upgrade it.
    All the 1822 dimes posted are wonderful coins. congrats to all.

You have a simply fantastic example of this interesting and scarce issue. I've been admiring your coin for years.

• Options

thank you very much for your appreciated comment. I look the coin so much and i really don't care that i lose registry points for a higher graded coin. I know that others might make decisions differently but I love nice looking Early Dimes.
    Best

Easton Collection
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOVE......THIS......THREAD.....! :heart::heart:

@EastonCollection - if @Realone doesn't have that 1822. never mind, i can't imagine him NOT having that one.

he has posted so many high-end early dimes with that precise look and all imaged by mgoodman to boot!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold mine last year to a NJ collector who is assembling a pcgs 58 set of everything

I do know, when i bought it years earlier, there didnt seem to be that many in 55 and higher, and after several years of owning ,(dont want to say numerous) but several MS pieces came on to the market. It hurt the sale of mine a little because the MS coins were bringing in auction what I paid for the 58 back in the day.

But its fine, you win some, loose some, and new owner is still happy with my old coin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file