Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Today's Coin Roll Hunting

So, I picked up a box of nickels today just because I was bored. I found several foreign coins and then something really special. Take a look at the closeup.![]

(https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/fa/0hi5fmp4smhn.jpg "")
(https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/yt/e1tkgvuu7fn6.jpg "")

Comments

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow a really nice war nickel! Can't tell if it's anot au or unc but great find

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice... an S mint war nickel..... as uncommon as war nickels are anymore, the S mint is the prize (at least that is what it seems) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find, congrats :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

I was just thinking the other day about searching rolls other than quarters ....... but it just seemed the possible lack of returns on base-metal coins (vs possible silver) wouldn't be worth the effort/time, especially since I can't identify varieties, etc with my eye issues (and lack of knowledge). Would be strictly dates or cases such as finding a stray V, Buffalo, or War nickel (great find, by the way!!).

I might have to try my hand at halves again, though. Last few times I tried, however, didn't even find any 40%'s, and the only recent dates I need were not minted for circulation, so the odds are it would be a wasted search. But still maybe one more time.........

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find!

• Options
    HistmanHistman Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 said:
    I was just thinking the other day about searching rolls other than quarters ....... but it just seemed the possible lack of returns on base-metal coins (vs possible silver) wouldn't be worth the effort/time, especially since I can't identify varieties, etc with my eye issues (and lack of knowledge). Would be strictly dates or cases such as finding a stray V, Buffalo, or War nickel (great find, by the way!!).

I might have to try my hand at halves again, though. Last few times I tried, however, didn't even find any 40%'s, and the only recent dates I need were not minted for circulation, so the odds are it would be a wasted search. But still maybe one more time.........

I also picked up a box of halves with the nickels. Found 3 40%, a Bicentennial Proof, a 1987-P, and 7 NIFC. The halves have been spotty for me, but I pick up a box a week and I still get some now and then. Found a Walker in the box last week.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file