Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1982-D Lincoln Cents - 3.11g?

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I opened a 1982-D mint roll. I found a few repunched mint marks and decided to weigh them. They all come in at 3.11g each.

I thought both alloys of 1982 weighed 2.5g?

This is just a copper large date no big deal right?

Comments

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

The copper 1982 cents weigh 3.11 g, while the zinc ones weigh 2.5 g. So yours is copper.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@element159 said:
    The copper 1982 cents weigh 3.11 g, while the zinc ones weigh 2.5 g. So yours is copper.

+1

• Options

Nothing special about them? Thought it quite odd.

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

What you'd like to find is the 1982-D copper (3.11g) with small date. So far I think there's only one example found and it wasn't found until last year.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options

Oh derp, thank you. Sorry about that I had the two mixed up.

It's always best to double check.. when I was a kid I thought I found a 1943 steel wheat cent in change. Turns out it was a 1974 aluminum memorial cent. I spent it. Guess they're worth a lot.. my biggest coin regret.. breaks my heart to even think about it.

I am however happy to own copper memorial cents! What a fine piece of history, and certainly a beautiful transitional piece.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is good to keep an '82 copper cent as a transitional... certainly niche collectors will want one. Wow... found and spent an aluminum '74? What a heartbreaker.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is also quite odd that you do not have a redbook (or know how to read it)

ps- nice story about the aluminum cent. I had one from a different year and found out it was just a copper cent covered with mercury.

• Options

I was mixing up the small date copper. My memory isn't what it used to be, and I get confused sometimes, and I bet my medicine, age and predisposition don't help either. Sorry to make a pointless thread I guess.

• Options

I did find a few D/D which I think are fairly significant. I don't see it listed as any varieties. This is one of the better examples.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are "NO pointless" threads. You are doing fine. We all have our bad days, right? ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that's a RPM on the last photo above.

It's a 'hit' on the left side of the Mintmark.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

Ohh, something new every day!

Thanks! =)

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with Fred, not an RPM.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2017 5:50PM

In 1982, my bank gave me back some 1982-D Large Date Zincs in change, so I went back to the bank and loaded up. Over the years I've kept a few rolls and got rid of some of the coins that started to degrade. Many had bubbles. I still intend to submit a few when I retire.

I've only handled the coins twice since 1982, with cotton gloves when I originally transferred them into plastic rolls and when I pruned out the bad ones a few years ago. I can't believe how long ago it's now been.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file