Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Availability to the public of BBCE material?

Multiple reports in Chicago of high dollar material sold by BBCE without advertising it on their website. As recently as a few years ago they put some fairly rare stuff on their site for the public to have a shot at it.

Sad if true.

The Crisser

Comments

• Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Where were these "multiple reports" coming from? Seems like you were quite the sleuth at the show with your comments in this thread and in the sun-times show thread!

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

LOL, it's their business where and how they choose to offer their stock, I'd think. :smile:

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

More dragging through the mud. More dirty pants.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2017 11:26AM

Most already knew/assumed BBCE dumps half their unopened finds to 4sharpcorners...Why would we be upset he is selling what he bought to sell? Selling a bunch in one load might make sense to him since he doesnt have to stock and warehouse the stuff and wait for a high dollar buyer no matter how cool unopened 71 topps or other stuff looks on his shelf/website.

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

holy $hit...you meant he CU boys don't get 1st and only dibs

BTW--love the fake news post

• Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I have to agree with the above posters. No requirement it be offered up first. If it is my business, I try to maximize profit any way I can.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

As long as everyone gets a box

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

That's like getting upset at two CU members for making a trade... rather than posting on eBay and buying each others items.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think this is a secret. They have 5-10 whales that get first shot on the primo items. You can be on that list if you show them the money. Last time I checked BBCE isn't a charity.

Despite that we still get a shot at some of the best material available.

Mike
  • Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

This is the worst Crisser-attempt-to-rile-us-up yet.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hands down the best Yahoo news article I have read all year!

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

That tweet is hilarious.

• Options
    Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

Crisser- any specifics on what high dollar material might have been sold? If it's true, i would love to know what the items were.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    "Fake news? Haha! Nowhere did I say they can't run their business however they like. My question is, do you guys like that you don't get chances at the really good stuff? I don't care either way "

For someone who does not care either way why start a post about it bashing Steve and BBCE? As a business owner he has the right to sell to whoever he wants and maximize profits and margins. I think a lot of people share my sentiment in that he has treated board members very well over the years. Nice attempt though.

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Doesn't bother me. I sold Steve a couple 1970s boxes recently and don't expect them to hit the website. Selling direct even happens regularly with large auction houses. A lot of prime items never make it into their catalogs. It is what it is.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

The multiple, reports part was pretty funny...I pictured The Crisser sitting at a new desk leading off with tonight's top story, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Cheer up
    Someday your dollar may be high enough to be part of the Pre Website Buyers Group

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's time for popcorn girl to make an appearance

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

unopened is overrated anyway

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

@flatfoot816 said:

:D

Now THAT was funny Manny!

Dave
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2017 1:29PM

@grote15 said:
    The multiple, reports part was pretty funny...I pictured The Crisser sitting at a new desk leading off with tonight's top story, LOL..

A new desk Tim?!?! What makes you think he doesn't work from an old desk?? :p:#B);):)

• Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Don't forget Jenny's unveiling of some sweet 70's cases is only a few days away :D
    And she's (he's) putting it out there for anyone to purchase!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/970494/what-is-the-best-way-to-sell-unopened-cases-from-1970-1980/p1

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options

@Stan Pounder said:
    Crisser you're a total JACKASS!!!!! You are just a pot stirrer and like to cause drama. If you want drama watch a soap between 1-2 Monday through Fridays in the afternoon. It doesn't matter how some one runs their business as long as they run it ethically, which BBCE does.

Oh my

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mikelowell25 said:

@grote15 said:

A new desk Tim?!?! What makes you think he doesn't work from an old desk?? :p:#B);):)

I think you are a few emoticons short of breaking the CU record, David. That, and you forgot the comma after desk, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@70ToppsFanatic said:

@flatfoot816 said:

Spit soda 20 feet when I read it! Good to see you on here Dave - you going to be at the Natty this year? BTW how did you do on those 71's you had in AC. Talk about a monster group of high end black borders!

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

I don't know, looks like some pretty nice items available on their site.
    web.archive.org/web/20090415131335/http://bbcexchange.com/default.aspx

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

@Stan Pounder said:
    Crisser you're a total JACKASS!!!!! You are just a pot stirrer and like to cause drama. If you want drama watch a soap between 1-2 Monday through Fridays in the afternoon. It doesn't matter how some one runs their business as long as they run it ethically, which BBCE does.

It wasn't until I was 35 or so I learned it was soap opera. Until then I thought it was soap bopper.

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:

@70ToppsFanatic said:

@flatfoot816 said:

Spit soda 20 feet when I read it! Good to see you on here Dave - you going to be at the Natty this year? BTW how did you do on those 71's you had in AC. Talk about a monster group of high end black borders!

Keith

I am planning on being in Chicago for the show

On the 1971s, high end selling was very sparse in AC last year so I decided to hold on and add to them. Perhaps an all the stars in PSA 9 registry set is in my future....

Dave
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

I'm just going to leave this up here...

photo honeybadger.jpg

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    Those were the good old days. Like Willie, Mickey, & the Duke.

Like, Willie, Waylon, & the Boys.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2017 6:37AM

• Options
    dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

We hold stuff specifically for the National. Last year we started saving items in February. By the time the show started in late July, we had over $1M in retail that had never been offered to anyone. That can really mess with the cash flow of a small business!

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Options
    edited April 4, 2017 6:37AM

• Options
    dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

I know. If I do say so myself, our booth last year was frickin awesome. A little worried we're going to have a difficult time outdoing ourselves this year.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

Trump is at it again! Unreal.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@baz518 said:
    That's like getting upset at two CU members for making a trade... rather than posting on eBay and buying each others items.

This is exactly right.

@ndleo said:
    I don't think this is a secret. They have 5-10 whales that get first shot on the primo items. You can be on that list if you show them the money. Last time I checked BBCE isn't a charity.

Despite that we still get a shot at some of the best material available.

This is a common trait, not just for BBCE but for many many people who sell or trade items, whether in the sports card category or just about any other type of product. I'm sure there are plenty of people here on this board who have some frequent purchasers like this too. Nothing wrong with it IMO, just part of the game.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly nothing wrong with it. The only way it's different than two CUers making a trade is that if it becomes well known that this happens frequently, BBCE runs the risk of its customer base becoming alienated. These could be customers whose business is needed for less lofty items. So it's a bit of a trade-off, but I'm sure Steve knows what he's doing.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭