Home U.S. Coin Forum

Die struck hobos on new planchets

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 18, 2017 10:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've seen a growing amount of hobo "nickels" and coins which are die struck on new planchets. These are not struck over existing coins, however, the reverse does have a buffalo nickel reverse.

Are there any issues with these since they have a buffalo nickel reverse but are struck on new planchets?

Tagged:

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moderns, reproductions, and fantasies: Are they destroying the market for the real thing, or making the real thing all that much more desirable? Hard to tell sometimes, with the line blended between real and counterfeit, and between info and spam. It seems like there is always an entrepreneur who will find an angle and get around the rules and regulations.

these new "hobos", tell me, are "attractive" and "fun"?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2017 4:09PM

The one's I've seen are reasonably attractive and cheap. My guess is these new ones will fuel desire for the real thing because they are not really collectible, just for cheap fun with no real upside or investment potential.

Of course, the question is whether these are okay from a counterfeiting perspective. Companies like the Smithsonian now put their "SI" initials and other marks on their "coins".

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally worth it. I wish pcgs would consider grading these.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beware of fantasies and reproductions. They have a way of killing interest in the main collecting area they spring from. Ask collectors of old toys what they think of such things.

All glory is fleeting.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen some interesting 'modern' Hobo nickels... some of the artists are very good... I would still prefer an 'original' if I could find one. However, I have seen some moderns that would be nice to own as well... Cheers, RickO

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone who buys any copy of any collectible helps destroy the market for genuine artifacts.

Antique toys are a prime example.

edited March 20, 2017 9:50AM

@topstuf said:
    Anyone who buys any copy of any collectible helps destroy the market for genuine artifacts.

Antique toys are a prime example.

It may be true for antique toys but I'm not sure it's true in all markets.

I collect art and dealers have told me copies of original art can make the original worth more because the copies spread knowledge of and interest in the original. Of course, lower priced copies of expensive art could impact lower priced originals of other art from other artists.

Replica cars is another area where originals don't seem to be impacted significantly. The issue here can be that many replica cars are actually not very good replicas from quality and performance perspectives.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever drains disposable income from any collectible field will drain funds that would otherwise demand original items.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's "die struck" -- it can't be a real "Hobo Nickel."
    If it dates past the 1950s it can't be a real "Hobo Nickel" - only an imitation.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carved Hobo nickels are cool. These are not.

edited March 20, 2017 7:14PM

Overall, I think it's a concerning trend that these purport to be modified US coins but in fact are not.

I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done to get these off of the bay.

• coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

BT&C
    edited April 20, 2017 10:58PM

Here's one from Paolo "MrThe" Curcio.

He's quite an accomplished carver of original coins and is now branching out into non-carved pieces:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file