Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan Dollars - Should I grade or should I self slab? - GRADES POSTED!

dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 18, 2017 11:59AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Okay, looking for grades and feedback on the coins below, if you please. I'm still working on taking better pictures.
Thank you!

Coin A

Coin B

Coin C

Coin D

Coin E

Coin F

Coin G

Coin H

Coin I

Coin J

Coin K

Coin L

Coin M

Don't quote me on that.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

C with the variety. G yes and all the others no. It's too bad those were removed from the GSA cases they were in as they were already in plastic.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG said:
    C with the variety. G yes and all the others no. It's too bad those were removed from the GSA cases they were in as they were already in plastic.
    bob

Which variety do you see in C?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin E looks nice enough. Keep in mind, even though the CCs are $200 coins, there is very little spread between grades so it still may not make sense to slab 64s or below. And I agree with the above. Please keep them in the GSA holders if you can!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

VAM 3d? maybe not but think that's what I see. I don't think PCGS will variety it and would have to go to NGC.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Morgans... are you planning to sell? Not sure if it is worth slabbing those since most - maybe all - are midgrade... Do you still have the GSA holders? They will sell better in those than in slabs IMO. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

How are you going to self slab? Also, were they really cracked out of GSA holders?

• Options

@ricko said:
    Nice Morgans... are you planning to sell? Not sure if it is worth slabbing those since most - maybe all - are midgrade... Do you still have the GSA holders? They will sell better in those than in slabs IMO. Cheers, RickO

Yes I plan on selling to raise money for my other coin wants. They weren't in holders, don't know if they ever were. When you say midgrade you mean what? AU or MS?

Dean

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    How are you going to self slab? Also, were they really cracked out of GSA holders?

Self slab as in just a coin protector I buy, not gonna create some fake PCGS cases. :)

Not in holders that I'm aware of.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I said midgrade, I meant 63, 64.... Based on those pictures, that is what I see... could be a 65 in there, pictures can be deceiving.... List them on the BST (maybe with better pictures and individually)... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2017 1:08PM

Instead of self-slabbing, right now there's an $8 per coin ANACS special (15 coin minimum): http://www.anacs.com/contentPages/Specials/ANACSSilverandGold.aspx

They also do variety attribution ($9/coin extra).

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    salmonratsalmonrat Posts: 123 ✭✭

I agree - list them on the BST they will surely generate some interest.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely send to PCGS but only send the second and fifth coin in express.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

always the cc other self IMHO

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin G-1879-S is a shot DMPL I think. I would consider sending it in along with E (shot 65) and D because it's fairly clean and has the kind of toning that some guys may pay more for. Coin I looks PL but not DMPL. I personally don't see anything in C but that's your call. Everything else looks to be 3 and 4 grade stuff imo.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@telephoto1 said:
    Coin G-1879-S is a shot DMPL I think. I would consider sending it in along with E (shot 65) and D because it's fairly clean and has the kind of toning that some guys may pay more for. Coin I looks PL but not DMPL. I personally don't see anything in C but that's your call. Everything else looks to be 3 and 4 grade stuff imo.

Haha - G, E, D, I went for grading...hope to have them back soon.....submitted on 3/23.

Dean

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@telephoto1 said:

Haha - G, E, D, I went for grading...hope to have them back soon.....submitted on 3/23.

Dean

Ha. I didn't notice the date of this thread. I'm curious to know results. IS coin I flashier in hand? The reverse looks PL but couldn't get a good read on the obverse from the image.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@telephoto1 said:

Ha. I didn't notice the date of this thread. I'm curious to know results. IS coin I flashier in hand? The reverse looks PL but couldn't get a good read on the obverse from the image.

my photos suck. I'm trying to build a setup to take better pictures....I think I is PL on both sides, but agree not DMPL like G. Grades should be back next week I hope and I will be posting pictures and GTG. :)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:
    Worth about a dollar each, spend them, buying something from me!

Nice batch!

Can't "spend" them until I get them back and "trade" them for cash....or preferably other Morgans...

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@telephoto1 said:

my photos suck. I'm trying to build a setup to take better pictures....I think I is PL on both sides, but agree not DMPL like G. Grades should be back next week I hope and I will be posting pictures and GTG. :)

I bookmarked this thread for when that occurs.
    I think the 79-S should be at least 64 DMPL. Coin E I'll say 65 to 66 PL. Coin D 65-ish. Coin I, 64 PL

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

Does anyone think any of the 79s have a 78 reverse? I still have a hard time getting that right.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2017 12:15PM

@dmwest said:
    Does anyone think any of the 79s have a 78 reverse? I still have a hard time getting that right.

Nope, they are all reverse of 79.
    The top feather on the arrow of a reverse of 78 is barely visible.

• Options

PCGS Grades Posted
    G - MS63PL
    E - MS63
    D - MS63
    I- MS63
    C- MS65+

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough grades I assumed E and G at least 64.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send them all in via economy.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@cheezhed said:
    Tough grades I assumed E and G at least 64.

Yes. I've a lot of questions around the grading still but my eye is getting better. Sometimes I just don't see the difference between 2 pieces and why one gets a 63 and another a 64.

Dean

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

@telephoto1 said:

I can help you take nice pics for selling.

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file