Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question about GSA sealed box

Hey guys new to forum recently got into collecting coins and joined up to learn what information is here + ask some questions of my own. I noticed a GSA sealed box for sale on APMEX ( http://www.apmex.com/product/64006/gsa-morgan-dollar-sealed-box-never-opened ) and from what I've gathered that these particular white boxes are all common dates. What I'm wondering is there a chance there is a nicely toned or even a monster toned morgan in one of these or would they have been cherry picked out when GSA was boxing them?

Comments

• Thanks for response trying to find that thread. If these were in fact legit do you think there would be a chance at toned coins in them?

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

@pistoliero said:
    Hey guys new to forum recently got into collecting coins and joined up to learn what information is here + ask some questions of my own. I noticed a GSA sealed box for sale on APMEX ( http://www.apmex.com/product/64006/gsa-morgan-dollar-sealed-box-never-opened ) and from what I've gathered that these particular white boxes are all common dates. What I'm wondering is there a chance there is a nicely toned or even a monster toned morgan in one of these or would they have been cherry picked out when GSA was boxing them?

WELCOME to the Forum ! A lot of Forum info available on sealed GSAs .. just do a search

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it doesn't have a date stamp on the outside you can pretty much assume that it is an 82,3,or 4. It can be a DMPL or Monster toned but the odds are extremely slim. Remember there were MILLIONS released and most were just bag scuffed examples at 63. If you try it let us know and take before and after pics. Also when you open it try using a table knife (blunt rounded end) and see if you are able to open without damage and then reseal......bet you can. I've done that before but kept the coin...
    good luck,
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just be careful... I purchased unopened boxes from GSAGuy years ago... Nice coins, nothing spectacular. And they were truly unopened... Now, however, I am not sure I would trust any auction...maybe Apmex... Let us know what you decide.... and then, when you receive it... Will you open it?? :D That always happens... except to me... I opened all of mine immediately... :D Cheers, RickO

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally view all the white boxes as fakes. Too many floating around everywhere on eBay.

As I said a bunch of times in these countless threads on this subject, someone here bought an unopened GSA and the coin had a hand written price tag on it!

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought and sold many of the white and cream colored boxes in the last 5 years. I have also opened about 10 of them. And in each case, I had no reason to believe the packaging had been messed with or had been previously opened. In each case, they contained an 82-84 CC, frequently (60%) toned, but typically just a light, single color tone. In each case, the Morgan was at least a 63, and one was an easy 65.

For those getting messed with packaging, I don't know what to say. My experiences have all been super positive.

Surf

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spot on great info.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just go for one like this:

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Miracles do happen though. One of my customers several years ago had an unopened box. I told him its an 82-3-4 , and worth more sealed. He wanted to open it, sure enough out comes a 90-cc. I would have never believed it , but I am the one who opened the box for him

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Apmex can make a lot of money buying these for ~$325 on eBay and selling them for $600 on their site.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file