Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Questions: Morgan Grading/Storing raw coins/pictures/VAM

dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, once again I'm new to this hobby and I will probably be posting questions as I read more, which means I probably understand less. :)

Morgan Grading:
Earlier advice to wait until I get my first batch of coins back from grading before submitting additional coins I get, but I was wondering if there are just certain Morgans that you should always have graded? CC's and the other key dates or is it just only about quality of the coin? Also, does PCGS normally run coin grading specials like this quarter where grade 4 get 1 graded free?

Coin Storage:
I have only 1 coin graded so its the only one slabbed. What do you use to hold coins to keep them safe and easy to handle if they haven't been graded?

Pictures:
I've quickly seen how bad pictures of coins can be. I've also seen when the pictures are decent/good there can be consensus from members about grading, which I think is cool, especially if I'm looking for help deciding on coins to grade. :) Does anyone have a good setup they recommend for taking coin pictures? I have a high end digital camera, but what I've seen is mostly about lighting when there are issues. Also, I like the PCGS Trueview, but I would think I'd only want that if the coin graded high enough...when do you decide to use that service? when you feel your coin is MS65 or higher?

VAM!
What the VAM? There are so many variations, which ones do you worry about, if at all, in getting PCGS to verify when grading? Just curious when folks decide to add this service and if it really helps when selling or is it just for your own collection.

Don't quote me on that.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) The PCGS grading specials change, which means you may find better ones in the future or may find ones that do not apply to you at all.

2) Many folks use 2x2 cardboard holders that can be stapled shut or that have adhesive built into them. They are easy to use, cheap and ubiquitous. I have always liked using Kointains, but these are tougher to use, a bit more expensive and are harder to find.

3) If you really want to improve on your photography, buy and read Mark Goodman's excellent reference work on numismatic photography.

4) Van Allen and Malli; authors who catalogued a huge number of Morgan dollar die marriages. Hence, the die marriages use their initials (VAM). Many (most) folks do not care about VAMs, but there is also a hardcore following for the better (more rare) ones. However, I don't know that those who follow VAMs actually want to pay a premium for better VAMs; kind of a double-edged sword.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading - A great rule of thumb is not to have anything graded unless it will exceed say $200 if it's the grade you think. Morgans (unfortunately) are very often cleaned, hairlines on Morgans from cleaning that are of any significance will result in the coin being details graded.

There is no Santa Clause in numismatics. Tough dates are tough for a reason.

Storage - I use the plastic 2 x 2's that do not require staples. Staples are the scourage of collecting. Just keep your coins in a place with reasonably constant, dry temperatures.

Photos - You can spend a fortune on a camera. I'd rather spend it on coins. Accordingly, learn to master whatever you have available. I use a steady platform, most like a copy stand. No vibration, slightly diffused lighting from overhead. Them new light rings provide even light. I use 3 Jansjo's from Ikea.

Vams - The top 100 vams are plenty to search for. Get a used Vam book (Van Allen and Mallis) if you really want your ass to be itchy.

The thing about Vam's is that when you find them you must pay extra for the attribution at grading but when you go to sell the coin few are willing to pay extra unless it's really a special Vam.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Difficult to improve on the information provided above.... so I will just add... remember to have fun, buy coins you like... and buy some coin books for the type of coins that interest you... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file