Home Precious Metals
Options

Do you like Canadian silver bars?

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked the silver bars produced by the Royal Canadian Mint so I just took advantage of a special deal on eBay by PCE (Pinehurst Coin Exchange) for 100 oz RCM silver bars at 37 cents per ounce over spot with free shipping. Makes me wonder how they make any money on this deal considering the eBay fees, Pay Pal fees, and the cost of insured shipping. I don't see how they make any money on this deal unless they contracted to buy a large quantity of bars when silver was much lower.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the RCM 10 oz silver bars

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    edited March 17, 2017 6:08PM

@derryb said:
    Love the RCM 10 oz silver bars

Neat design, made by a major national mint, sealed in plastic, serial number with year of issue, 999.9 fine---they have a lot going for them which is why I also like them and consider them to be a great way to buy silver.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of the newer manufactured bar, they're probably the only one I'd own. They have that same kind of inherently trustworthy look that JM bars have. Somehow they captured a sense of integrity. I don't personally have any. But I wouldn't object under the right circumstances.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

Cool old school, Weiss.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wingsrule said:
    Cool old school, Weiss.

To be clear: that's not mine. I don't own any RCM bars of any size. But I do like the older horizontal style of the RCM bars. The verticals aren't bad, either. Maybe I like these because the horizontal bars look kind of like currency.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2017 10:19PM

@Weiss said:

@Wingsrule said:
    Cool old school, Weiss.

To be clear: that's not mine. I don't own any RCM bars of any size. But I do like the older horizontal style of the RCM bars. The verticals aren't bad, either. Maybe I like these because the horizontal bars look kind of like currency.

I have a very nice old style RCM 100 ounce bar that I bought several years ago at near melt. I wouldn't mind buying another but you seldom see them any more and when you do see them they carry a collector premium higher that their melt value. What I particularly like about the new style RCM 100 oz bars is that they show the date that they were made not unlike a coin.

• Options
    SangoSango Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

I love anything and everything RCM, gold and silver. They make incredibly nice stuff. The 2007 .99999 gold maple I've always wanted

• Options
    SangoSango Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

I've had a few 10oz RCM bars over the past few years, gorgeous metals

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are quite interesting... I do not have any large (100 oz.) bars... maybe I will change that....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I always liked the silver bars produced by the Royal Canadian Mint so I just took advantage of a special deal on eBay by PCE (Pinehurst Coin Exchange) for 100 oz RCM silver bars at 37 cents per ounce over spot with free shipping. Makes me wonder how they make any money on this deal considering the eBay fees, Pay Pal fees, and the cost of insured shipping. I don't see how they make any money on this deal unless they contracted to buy a large quantity of bars when silver was much lower.

Look at it like junk mail in that if it wasn't worthwhile they wouldn't be doing it. I expect that they pay little or no eBay fees [or eBay might even pay them] otherwise it wouldn't be an attractive option. Plus if you use a CC, there is usually the matter of reward points which in this case are likely absorbed by PCE.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

I don't like any inferior Canadian bars.

I will only buy Engelhard or Johnson Matthey!

:p

Loves me some shiny!