Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hobo Nickel

jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any service that holders Original Hobo Nickels ?

Comments

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen some in ICG and SESG slabs, but as I recall they were modern Hobos.
    I would call them.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not seen any.... that would be interesting, and - IMO - a good thing. I like some of the moderns, but there is history and a certain magic to the originals... There are experts who can certainly authenticate them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

These guy will render an opinion. hobonickels.org/membership.html
    I don't believe they encase them.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the info

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

ICG slabs them with the artist on the label if known.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2017 10:20AM

Check out this thread which has an image of an ICG slabbed hobo. Of note, it does not have an artist attribution.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/981272/does-pcgs-slab-hobos/p1

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always been somewhat perplexed by questions such as this one posed by the OP.

Why slab a hobo nickel if that process does not include authentication of the artist?

However, since learning here that ICG will slab these coins and list the artist on the label, I may actually have some slabbed myself. I have some coins carved by a modern artist – NWO – and I might ship them off to ICG.

I am coming around to the idea that sometimes there are reasons for slabbing a coin aside from getting a professional opinion on the grade. Sometimes it can be a good way to preserve provenance or to identify a coin beyond what is obvious to the casual observer. This may be very useful to someone down the road.

• Options

@JBK said:
    I am coming around to the idea that sometimes there are reasons for slabbing a coin aside from getting a professional opinion on the grade. Sometimes it can be a good way to preserve provenance or to identify a coin beyond what is obvious to the casual observer. This may be very useful to someone down the road.

I agree with this and this is a reason why I consider slabbing some of my more esoteric pieces when the information and details are known.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I definitely would have a hobo nickel, done by the real hobo artists, slabbed... good to know ICG will do this and attribute the artist. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

the artist in the original hobo coin society also sell the coins direct. the Good Artist all have a signature in the coin.

I just bought 2 graded ones from a coin business. I love the original ones.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

In this case I do use SEGS. They are sent to BF for grading (hobo grading is different scale IE crude, average, superior with + -)
    They do a nice job. I have many originals and moderns available

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I have always been somewhat perplexed by questions such as this one posed by the OP.

Why slab a hobo nickel if that process does not include authentication of the artist?

However, since learning here that ICG will slab these coins and list the artist on the label, I may actually have some slabbed myself. I have some coins carved by a modern artist – NWO – and I might ship them off to ICG.

One of the scarce times I have made 60% profit on a coin, when I sold a Hobo I had commissioned a modern artist to carve.

• Options

The modern hobo market is very interesting to me. The prices realized can be quite high.

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

The Hobo Nickel Society will tell you if the Hobo is original with two 'graders' giving their opinion on the coin and they will send back a signed letter with their thoughts. I have sent a few off.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file