Home U.S. Coin Forum

Die Varities and Die States of Letttered Edge Half Dollars now complete

Comments

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2017 5:18PM

Congratulations! Epic accomplishment!
    Kudos

How can I view your photos without the text overlay?
    Perhaps this is only a mobile version issue?

• UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!

An amazing accomplishment!

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! Are you also collecting the contemporary counterfeits? Just curious.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just amazing!!!

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UltraHighRelief said:
    Congrats!

An amazing accomplishment!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Very cool! Are you also collecting the contemporary counterfeits? Just curious.

AMAZING accomplishment.

Also doing the counterfeits would be another amazing accomplishment, especially with at least 300-350 die struck varieties known.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I'm in awe. 614 die states (not counting 3 crushed letter edge proofs). In mostly MS grade. With spectacular eye appeal.

Done in just 30 years. Holy cow.
    Lance.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

A HUGE congratulations to you my coin brother. Very, very well done!!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2017 5:51PM

Amazing accomplishment! Not only does the set have the insanely rare and famous 1817/4, it has two of them so that both die states are covered (not to mention the single finest known)!!!

This set begs to have a digital album!!

@cardinal said:
    Amazing accomplishment! Not only does the set have the insanely rare and famous 1817/4, it has two of them so that both die states are covered (not to mention the single finest known)!!!

Those are the two finest known 1817/4's!

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! Which was the "final addition" that made the set complete?

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Koinicker said:

@cardinal said:

Those are the two finest known 1817/4's!

WOW!! There should be a new edition of the Overton book, featuring all of the coins in this set, as the hands down, definitive set of die varieties and die states! What a magnificent reference book that would be!!

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spectacular achievement. So impressive.
    Congratulations.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

YOU ARE THE MAN!!! SUPER CONGRATS ON THIS AMAZING ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!

what's next and where do you stop. Remember - nothing modern!!!!

Easton Collection

@EastonCollection said:
    YOU ARE THE MAN!!! SUPER CONGRATS ON THIS AMAZING ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!

what's next and where do you stop. Remember - nothing modern!!!!

This collector is working on the other series!

• msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

Wow...amazing set...congratulations!

• drddmdrddm Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2017 6:58PM

Congratulations on a truly amazing accomplishment! Would love to see a book put together using all of your Bust Halves in this incredible set.
    Dave

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a HUGE accomplishment! Huge enough it does need the digital album.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a word, WOW!

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! What a tremendous numismatic accomplishment. I agree with the sentiment that this set should be professionally photographed and issued as a reference book. I looked through a few my pet favorite varieties. The examples are quite attractive. When I get a minute I'll work through the rest of the photos. So cool!

• kazkaz Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is truly a staggering accomplishment. Hat's off, 2 thumbs up, bow and scrape.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy crap!

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

An amazing numismatic feat. Congrats on a 100% complete masterpiece.

Later, Paul.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll buy the book.

• GoBustGoBust Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments. Developing a photographic catalog as a book might be fun. I have not collected any contemporary counterfeits myself. I do have an bust half error and counterstrike collection and I have examples of the two pattern types of capped lettterd edge halves (one platinum and one brass restrike), but that's a topic for another day. I blame Sheridan Downey for enthusiastically introducing me to the series in 1986 when I had previously thought walking liberty halves were the bomb.

• well done !

a serious collection and one that matters.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing and commendable achievement.... Congratulations... Cheers, RickO

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

WOW!! There should be a new edition of the Overton book, featuring all of the coins in this set, as the hands down, definitive set of die varieties and die states! What a magnificent reference book that would be!!

+1000

Even if not part of the Overton book, a reference text with the images from this set would be a treasure for numismatics and an invaluable tool for variety identification.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is off the charts awesome.
    I agree that it would be great to see this as part of a reference text.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing short of incredible!

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Well with all the interest in a reference text, I'd better get to it. If only my day job have me that much free time!

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just have to say... congratulations to you. A thirty year journey, must have been a blast.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on an incredible and amazing accomplishment, someone else aptly used the word definitive for the collection.

Upon opening the first page and taking a glance, realized, "wow, this is going to take a lot of time to read and study!" and then was struck by the realization that you actually assembled the set and created the presentation. Very very impressive!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

So incredible a set, it's hard to find any more superlatives to add to this thread. Splendid job!

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Completing a set of anything? Congratulations....

Completing a set that many people would consider very difficult, and maybe even nearly impossible? CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I dabble in Busties, and enjoy them a great deal. But I don't think I would even consider this task. Very cool to know it can be done.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing accomplishment! Congratulations.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoBust said:
    Thanks for the comments. Developing a photographic catalog as a book might be fun. I have not collected any contemporary counterfeits myself. I do have an bust half error and counterstrike collection and I have examples of the two pattern types of capped lettterd edge halves (one platinum and one brass restrike), but that's a topic for another day. I blame Sheridan Downey for enthusiastically introducing me to the series in 1986 when I had previously thought walking liberty halves were the bomb.

One day, I hope you will blame me for introducing you to the Mexican War for Independence!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Looks like you've done the near impossible. Pretty amazing accomplishment, sir.

Avid Collector of Early US Type Coins.

Picked up an 1819 O-112a PCGS to replace my no grade XF. So now down to four no grades in the 614 coin set set.

Also submitted my Reeded edge half dollar set to PCGS to begin the arduous and slow and painful task of trying to get all 56 varieties into PCGS graded holders with Graham designations. Currently the set is mostly in PCGS graded holder but also has a few PCGS Genuine, five raw coins and about 15 NGC coins. The two unique R8+ die marriages [1839-O GR-2 and 1839-O GR-3] were also submitted. My friend Dick Graham who wrote the wonderful treatise on Reeder Edge Capped Halves was on hand and reviewed the set and found I had made a least one attribution mistake. Dick was importantly the first and only collector to complete the entire circulation set by die marriage (so far!) This will take a while, but seems to be the logical next step as a goal.

I'm appreciative that PCGS now is adding GR marriage designations to holders. They had been a few years behind NGC on that front. Hopefully this smaller die marriage set will attract it's own enthusiasts, but be forewarned, if the marriage does not have die cracks, they are much tougher to attribute on par in difficulty with some late date large cents I'm told.

Happy hunting everyone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file