Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Samples by Year of Issue: 2017-2023 (Updated 9-9-23)

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 9, 2023 10:08AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The last thread covering 2015-17 got too large so breaking out 2017 onwards into a new thread.

Here are the LB Treasure Hunt Registry coins as of the Feb. 2017 LB show. 7 new coins, all 1976 bring to 25 the total number of coins in the YN registry. Interesting addition of a "Genuine" coin into the registry, each with a unique serial number to allow for entry into the registry. According to Mike Kittle, these were given to virtually every participant. Nice way to encourage kids to participate with a low barrier to entry.

Sample from the March Singapore show (Singapore International Coin Fair). US quarter from the Effigy Mounds National Park.

Sample from the April Hong Kong Coin Show, also from the Effigy Mounds NP.

In June we saw the addition of proof 1983-S coins. Added were all denoms 1c-50c. There are a small number of P70DCAM 5c and 10c pieces, the remainder P69DCAM.

Here is the updated YN registry content as of June 2017.

Sample from the June 2017 HKINF show - sellers pictures.

Sample from the June 2017 Long Beach show, a door prize containing a 1/2 oz gold Eagle. The appeared on Ebay in Nov. 2020 and sold for $1033. Spot at the time was around $1900. Similar slab in the 2016 section, also from a June LB show.

The RCNA was held in Boucherville July 2017, just east of Quebec.

Sample from the August Hong Kong show (per seller).

Sample commemorating the 40th anniversary of David Hall Rare Coins. These have been made annually recently for the investment advice firm Stansberry, this the 15th yearly conference, Las Vegas, Sept. 2017.

These 2 both from the 8/17 Hong Kong CoinShow, 2 very different designs. I especially like the reverse label of the one with stylized HKCS on the reverse.

Sample December 2017 from the Hong Kong International Coin Fair. Doesn't look like much effort went into the design of the label!

2018 2018 2018 2018 2018 2018 2018 2018 2018 2018 2018 2018 2018 2018 2018 2018

Treasure hunt sample 1st given out at the Feb. 2018 LB show per Mike Kittle.

PCGS sample from the March 2018 Malaysia Money show.

Sample from the April 2018 Hong Kong show.

2018 P and D Kennedy halves were added to the LB Treasure Hunt in June of 2018.

Picked this one up at the 2018 Philly ANA, a prototype sample featuring "David Hall, PCGS Founder" with signature on the obverse. "Sample" written on the reverse of the label in David Hall's handwriting in red ink which he is fond of using. I'm still looking for the finished product, not sure if this went into production or was a one off prototype that was rejected. Either way, a cool piece.

Sample from the August 2018 HKCS featuring the bauhinia flower, sellers photos.

Sample from the 2018 RCNA held August in Mississauga, Toronto. Guess PCGS put Toronto on the label, much easier to spell! :D

Updated list of the YN Treasure Hunt samples noting the addition of the Lucky Loonies, both 2004 and 2016.
At the June show, 2018 Kennedy P and D samples were added to the registry.
At the Feb. LB show, 1976-S Proof Lincoln cents were added.
Information courtesy of Mike Kittle.

2 of the new Treasure Hunt samples with the 2004 and 2016 Lucky Loony. Not sure why these dates were chosen?

Sample from the Sept. 2018 CoinEx in London. Sellers photos, brought $26 on ebay, 6/26/19.

2019 2019 2019 2019 2019

Interesting sample from the 2019 Summer Seminar, Session 1, grading class taught by Feltner, McCarthy and Hipp. Attractive 1776 Ike. I'm told 40 were made and given out to the class participants. Retro-doily holder with Gen 2.0 shield on reverse.

Sample from the Australasian Numismatic Dealer Association in 2019 - haven't been able to find the date of the meeting.

Another sample from the ANDA, this time from a show in Perth, Australia. Sellers picture, Imperial Coins, the official PCGS submission center in Australia.

Sample from the 2019 RCNA convention featuring a 50c piece, show held in Calgary. Unfortunately, the slab was broken in the mail! :D

Given out at the 2020 FUN show for those attending the Fundamentals of Grading seminar.

Sample said to have been never released - was intended for the 2020 March show in Philadelphia, cancelled because of the pandemic. Saw it as a $49.99 BIN on Ebay on 9/21/20 and quickly bought it - remains to be seen if it was a good purchase or not. Unsure of the series size - haven't been able to get a reply from PCGS.

Sample from the cancelled RCNA convention, scheduled for Halifax. Covid sticker below the 2020 date. Canada 50c piece dated 2020.

2021 2021 2021 2021 2021 2021 2021 2021 2021 2021 2021 2021

Many of the shows were cancelled in the 3rd quarter 2020 and early 2021. The summer ANA was held as scheduled in Chicago. It remains to be seen how many samples made for cancelled shows will be released and become available.

Sample for the RCNA show that was held virtually for the 1st time, as noted on the label. No host city noted. A sticker was added to the upper right corner, a blue Covid symbol.

Sample similar to the above but with the 100th anniversary Coat of Arms on the obverse 50c piece, the reverse with George the VIth instead of Queen Elizabeth. Covid sticker top right corner.

Sample given out at the US-Mexico show in 2021. Will add more details when they are available.

A number of "Samples" were given out by PCGS for their 35th Anniversary of being in business. It features a copper medal as shown. The 1st one was offered (by Apmex) late in the year and I believe it was a "for profit" offering rather than given out by PCGS. Although the stock photo had a grade of "80" (the old genuine grade), the grade was 89 on the slabs that arrived (Genuine BU).

The second was a sample/luncheon slab given out at the summer ANA show. The 3rd one was a Quarterly Special given out (along with a gold colored PCGS coin box) to submitters of 5-10 coins - seems like it was 10 coins early on, dropped to 5 coins later in the quarter. The pop is 4200 but likely includes a mixture of label styles.

The 4th one I believe was given out at shows primarily to dealers. If you know otherwise, please let me know.

Sellers on Ebay have a tendency to mix these up, not noticing the difference. Or, perhaps they do, but list them as "Registry" slabs hoping to get the higher price they command (over $200 into at least early 2022 while the others are far cheaper). There may be 1 or 2 other versions to watch out for.

Here's a version not seen until 2022 on ebay. As noted above, there may be others to watch for and this is one of them. It was given out to employees (from what I can gather so far) and has been selling for $300, +/- $30. I was lucky in finding this at a local show for $30. "Thank you from PCGS" could apply to employees and major submitters, so it remains to be seen how many are out there! Interesting in that the slabs with serial numbers beginning 4400 show up in the cert verification at PCGS, whereas the ones beginning 4488 do not. This makes it impossible to get a feel for the number of this style made. By mid-2022, the prices had dropped considerably, well under $100.
Will try and keep an eye on the serial number spread on ebay and other sources for the serial numbers beginning 4488. Here's the spread as of 2-2-23 - 44885359 - 44885830. Then an oddball number shows up on ebay! :neutral:

Different version of a PCGS 35th anniversary medal that was distributed in China. While said to have been given out by PCGS, there are individual sellers on ebay that seem to have large quantities of them. Sellers pictures.

This was given out Thursday 1-5-23 at a cocktail party put on by PCGS from 4-6 pm. It was by invitation. I wasn't able to attend, not arriving at the show until Friday. Was able to acquire at the show just by luck. There were 300 made - remains to be seen how much the early offerings on Ebay will go for - will post results as auctions are completed.

Sample from the 2023 RCNA convention.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    CacoinguyCacoinguy Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice DCAM '76S Kennedy... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Have updated the thread to add the 2021 35th Anniversary Medals.

If you have more info on when and to whom they were given, please let me know.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

Added the 2023 FUN cocktail party slab. :+1:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file