Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Incomplete eBay Listings

KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

As a numismatic book collector, I sometimes search eBay for various books. Sometimes I am looking for a book edition that is barely different than another; for example sometimes I might be looking for a different publication date or different title page. However, I often am messed up by eBay listings by sellers who do not list enough information about the book, or post unhelpful pictures.

So, I wanted to hear your stories:

Do you come across this problem (no matter what you collect)?
Any specific examples?
Finally, what advice would you give to eBay sellers about being descriptive with their lot listings?

Thanks!

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I encounter sub par listings often. Blurry pictures, undeclared "stock photos" or wording about "similar to shown" is obscure and hidden, vague descriptions or walls of text where a simple description should be.
    Here is a list of things not to do.

Terrible photos are the worst. Particularly when you contact a seller and request additional/ clear/ close up photos of actual coin, and they refuse or decline or cannot be bothered! Huh?
    this has literally happened several times.

Also when a seller ignores a message. I sell too and make an effort to respond immediately to any messages on any platform.
    It leaves a terrible impression.

I am just waiting for the day you can block a seller so you don't have to even wade through or past their listings.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything vague or what appears to be intentional misleading is a red flag for me and I just move on....If the pictures are not good, the description not clear and unambiguous, or insufficient... then I just skip it. Not worth my time, even if there may be potential in the offering. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

...there are a lot of just plain lazy e-bay sellers and then they wonder why their item did not sell or sold with limited success.

What you put into it, is what you get out of it.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file